Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Sccy cpx-2

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Divebum 
#1 ·
I got an e-mail from Rural King last week from Rural King with a SCCY CPX-2 on sale for $134.98 after rebate with $12.99 shipping with 2 mags. It was sold out in less than a day. It is a 10 round 9mm hammer fired semi-automatic pistol similar in size to my Taurus PT111 C2 but weighing 15 ounces rather than 22. I picked it up yesterday, cleaned it and have shot 70 or 80 rounds through it with no issues. It shoots reliably with about the same accuracy as my PT111. There is more recoil with the SCCY than with my Taurus because it is much lighter. The trigger is just like a double action revolver where the reset is all the way forward with a long but smooth trigger pull. I've been shooting a lot of revolvers in double action in recent months so the trigger feels natural to me but some will not like it. It is very quick and easy to field strip.

I am amazed at the fit and finish for a $134.98 gun with a lifetime warranty that follows the gun and not the owner. It is nearly half the weight of a HI-Point C9 for a similar price and it is not ugly.

#2 ·
I've always been attracted to those pistols, but would be looking for the CPX-1 with the manual safety. If it's no smaller than the PT111 G2 however it would be somewhat redundant for my use also.

Reactions: 777Driver
#5 ·
I ordered mine without ever seeing one and I thought it would be smaller than my PT111 G2 because it is so much lighter. It is slightly smaller in some areas but it is basically the same size. It fits the same holster that I have for my Taurus.

With the double action trigger that works just like a DOA revolver, I don't think a safety is needed any more than they are needed on a revolver.

#3 ·
Oh yeah
I have two sccy cpx-2's. Super great light weight package. If you want an improved trigger pull get the trigger kit from Galloway. Makes a great little pistol even better. I am usually not a fan of finger grooves but the sccy seems they have more room than most. Using pinky rest mag bottom makes for a easily controlled shooter.

#4 ·
I have owned a couple over the years ,, always went bang .. I like the triggers on the SCCY pistols.. Simlar to a verygood DAO revovler ..
I have played with the idea picking one up .. But dang I have purchased to many 9mm pistols lately .. I would have zero reservations in purchasing one ..

#6 ·
I really like the CPX-2, although I don't own one, but my son bought one. My son's pistol shoots very smooth, eats every kind of ammo we have put through it without issues and shoots very accurate. Recoil is a bit exaggerated, due to slide sitting higher and not much of a notch (beaver tail) on the grip to get your hand up high, but once you get the feel of it and adjust accordingly, you can control it very well. I had actually gone to Academy to buy me one, but saw the G2C on sale, along with the rebate, so bought that instead. Very seriously thinking on still getting one.

#7 ·
I have had two of those CPX-2's in the past. The first one I had had issues with the chassis pins "walking" out, and the second one I had, after about 400 or so rounds, the trigger went "sideways" on me. Both I had back to SCCY to be fixed, and they were quick about it, but after the pins still kept moving around on the first one, I said screw this and traded them off.

#10 ·
They have come a long way over the years. I had one of the originals, a Skyy cpx1. They had to change the name because of the trademark of SKYY Vodka. It was crap....guide rod and spring problems...took months and at least 4 trips back to the manufacture and many parts replaced by them and me. Gave it to a friend and he gave it away. My brother in law has new one and he has never had one problem with it. Not a tack driver, but fairly accurate to about 15-20 yds. I do not like the design of the newer ones and will take a G2c over one any day.

#12 · (Edited)
Both are great guns. If you listen to specs on both is why I stay with cpx-2. Shorter, lighter and thinner by a hair. The sccy is like shooting a double action only revolver trigger. You just need to train with it. The grip is hardest thing to keep from printing when carrying. the trigger can be made better. The pins walking out can be fixed with a drop of super glue or a black silicone adhesive. It makes a better carry gun in my opinion. When Carrying on body all the time weight becomes a factor. As far as I know the sccy cpx-2 is the lightest with a ten round capability. 11 if you have one in the pipe. Just my humble opinion.

#14 ·
IDK Sccy/Shields small carries because of weight, I am 100% SURE when the USA makes a play to take the Guns I am 100% positive they will do so with 30 round magazines, Why would I want to reload ratio of 4 to 1 plus if I am carrying 4 extra mags Why not just carry the full size and 1 extra magazine? just my ramblings and rants

#17 ·
I have a CPX-1 I keep as a truck/tackelbox/ gun. I removed the safety because after a round or two, the safety would engage. Don't know why one would have a safety on a DAO striker fired gun in the first place, but that's just me. Because of the safety issue, I don't and won't carry the gun unless there's no choice. But it does meet the first requirement for any firearm which I own. It goes BANG when the trigger is pulled - every time unless there's an ammo failure. With all the rounds I've put through the gun, the only problems have originated with ammo.

The originals had some problems with cracked frames and slides. If you have a CPX-1 with serial number beginning in the 35,000's and up, you should be ok.

I've not shot the CPX-2, but from what I've heard and read, it's reliable and a good gun for the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.