discoloring inside chamber?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: discoloring inside chamber?

Member #
    Liked
    299 times

discoloring inside chamber?

I just bought a Security 9, i decided to clean it before shooting it. i took it apart and there is a grayish brown spot about halfway around inside the chamber more gray and very light brown. i can't see anything in the barrel and half of the chamber is good, but about half has this weird stuff in or on the bluing. it's not rough feeling and ammo cycles good by hand. taking a plastic nozzle straw from my rem oil i can't feel it catch on it so it has to be very thin or may be in the bluing but looks to be on top of it even tho it feels even with the bluing. My bronze bore brush won't clean it off, it has me stumped. i have oiled it and put everything back together and cycled it. and it cycles fine by hand. I am thinking it's part of the bluing that didn't take well but wanted to ask here in case anyone has had the same thing. thanks for any help on this.

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    here is a pic of my barrel, i finally got my phone to take one of the spots. click on the pic and click to inlarge and you can see the spot real good. thanks

Last edited by old fart; 11-22-2019 at 06:16 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    12465 times
    Maybe brass scraping from a round. It is an odd color, almost like shipping lube, but you said it won;t clean out. Have you tried polishing the feed ramp to see if that takes it out. I had to send my Sec 9 back to Ruger because the barrel crown was way off center, causing rounds to miss poa by over a foot. Once it came back and tested ok, I traded it for another pistol. I am not real impressed with Ruger right now, as I have had to send back a few new guns from them. They did fix the issue, but these were problems that were obvious, visually. Wander how they made it out of the assembly line.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1765 times
    Shoot it.
    william likes this.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    Maybe brass scraping from a round.
    its new, i have never fired it. I only have regular hoppe's, gun oil and a brush to clean with.

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKen View Post
    Shoot it.
    I just went out and shot it, it shoots bad. at 7yds it will not group and i am about 8 inches left and 4-5 inch group.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45982 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old fart View Post
    I just went out and shot it, it shoots bad. at 7yds it will not group and i am about 8 inches left and 4-5 inch group.
    OOPS...going back to the mothership. I guess Taurus isn't the only one. I hope that they make it right for you and fast...should be worth a couple of extra mags.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    7055 times
    Just to make sure before you send it back maybe you should try a couple different kinds of ammo and a different shooter.

Not trying to insult you just trying to cover all the bases before you pack it away in the mail.

If they test it with a different ammo and a different shooter they could send it back to you and tell you there's nothing wrong with it....

Don
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    4476 times
    It almost looks like a lamination in the metal. Maybe take the barrel to an automotive machine shop and have them Magnaflux it, or dye penetrant test it. OR easiest of all have Ruger replace the barrel.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Well my problem was solved this morning, my nephew came by and offered to buy my security 9. I told him about the barrel and he said thats ok as he would use the return label and return it to ruger himself if I would sell it. So I asked him to make offer and he said $200 for the gun and 3 mags, I said sold and he got the gun. I went to my local shop a few hours later and took the holsters and 1 mag that i had got on the security deal from a friend. I bought a brand new G2c just like I carry and this one has a smooth black finish just like the one I carry, I was able to get it for $150.00 plus the 1 mag and the 2 holsters I had, they were Desantis dual carry 2 holsters. I am so glad I found a G2C with that smooth black finish again, most I find has a sandpaper feel. thought I would update, thanks.
    Czechbikr and bobbojama like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links