Latest Project: 1980 Contender Unboxing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Latest Project: 1980 Contender Unboxing

Member #
    Liked
    1573 times
    Front sight blade has been tampered with. A small portion of its rear has been ground off and the front had a heavy hit at one time. Whether the top had been ground on is also a question to ponder.

To try and salvage the sight was my goal. A replacement sight hood is another item to consider.

I scratched a line or two then went at it with the dreaded Dremel abrasive cutting wheel. After filing on it a little bit, then dipped it into a bottle of cold blue. This little trim job gives a sharper image.

Now I need to locate a sight hood with a proper fit to shade the blade. The hood off of a '94 is too small in diameter, but it could serve duty in a pinch.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    loudviking and CJS3 like this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    27436 times
    Thats the gun that got me staretd into relaoding!
    had a Contender in 30 herrit and 35 herritt.
    quickly installed the pachmayer fore end and grips on it and loved the weapon then.
    ended up getting a 22 LR octagon barrel and a 22 magnum barrel as well for it.
    more fun that a barrel of monkeys.
    the main thing was for hunting with the herritt barrels however, and of course a 4 X scope on each.
    enjoy!
    Lomax likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21758 times
    Excellent work Lohman! Very fine pistol rejuvenated but still with period patina. Agree that front sight looks like someone was obsessed with LEGO blocks and erector sets. Like the hood.

My dad has a Contender he bought back in the late ‘70s and has 10 or so barrels he loads for. Seems like classic single shot elegance tries to break through the modern barriers of “tactical” this and that and, hopefully, will continue to do so.
    loudviking likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    I would remove the thumb assist from the hammer ! You will note that the set screw has already damaged the surface of the hammer . The hammers on those , open bow type, with a thumb piece will break where the set screw dug into the hammer. Since your hammer is already dameged you migh be on the look out for a replacement or send it back to TC to get the hammer replaced. I speak from a long history with TC Contenders, had my first one in 1969 and have owned many since that time. Good luck on your gun because they are fun and addictive, can't own just one !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links