Taurus Firearm Forum banner

A handful of OUCH!!

2K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  taurustoter 
#1 ·
Call me crazy, but I traded into a Smith & Wesson M360 chambered for .357 magnum. It's very light, but not the Scandium frame model. In fact this one is a bit of an enigma. It has none of the markings I see on others in my search. Most I've come across either have "Airweight" just below the cylinder on the right side, or have the S&W "Atom" symbol just above the right grip. This one has neither marking. I can't wait to put a few rounds through it. I bet those 158gr. magnum XTP's are gonna be snappy!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I like it! It looks dangerous!! Congrats.

#6 ·
Yeah, I've had various M85UL's, Smith 442 and 642, as well as steel frame models. But they were all chambered for .38 special. I never had a problem shooting any of those, even with +P rounds. However, something tells me this is a whole other ball game! Truth be told, I got this specifically for walking/jogging and the first two rounds will be CCI shot shells, followed by three JHP's. I have a light weight Kydex holster and the gun rides well and doesn't pull the shorts/sweatpants down as long as I tie the drawstring.

#10 ·

Think of your hand as an anvil and the revolver a 16 ounce hammer head.

The S&W boot grip looks like an overmold, better than having an exposed spine, shod with wood. Still, not much in the way of vibration dampening to protect against irreversible nerve damage to your hand. You bet it stings.

I witnessed a shooter drop a .475 Linebaugh in the mud because of nerve pain it delivered. Whenever I plan on shooting any hard recoiling revolver rounds, I alway wear a glove with vibration dampening material sewn into the palm.

As far as gun manufacturers go, Taurus makes the best synthetic ergonomically friendly grips going.

The Model 36 with its walnut stocks & steel spine is a prime candidate for a shooting glove.

The Bulldog and SP-101 each wear CT combat overmolds w/ lasers zeroed at 30'. The CT grips make recoil tolerable, yet at the range I still use a shooting glove.

Of the guns lying on the bench, the Alaskan in .44 Mag., has the most manageable recoil because of its massive shock absorbing Hogue grip. It feels soft and squishy like a little Michelin Man. This is one you can shoot without a glove.

The Model 40 sports an ERGO overmolded grip. It may look weird, but it feels good in the hand, points well and absorbs shock way better than its original walnut stocks.

Hogue makes a nice rubber combat grip for J frames too.

Enjoy your new snubbie.

Attachments

#11 ·
The scandium 357 with 158 grain 357 hot loads is probably the sharpest recoiling handgun I have owned. It was not uncommon for some brands of factory ammo to have the bullets jump crimp on second or third shot. A good friend wanted it really bad and offered a trade I couldn't pass up. The scandium 44 mag is another with very sharp recoil but the larger grips make it easier to handle. I'm content to just carry a 5 shot steel frame in the pocket revolvers and just live with the extra weight.

#13 ·
I haven't weighed it yet, but the specs I'm finding says it weighs 11.7 ounces. That's not gonna soak up much recoil. LoL When I shoot it, I'm going to try to take my Savage Striker .308 pistol and get video of shooting both just to compare.

#17 ·
"snappy", Bowtiebama?
Injurious to your health!
One of our sons is active duty military and always always always carries. His "jogging gun" is the S&W scandium-alloy Airweight 35 7-Mag.
He offered it to me to try.
I fired one round. And then ONE more.
I gave it back to him and don't EVER want to fire another!
This is a gun that will injure you with full-power ammo.
Even .38+P is a handful in it.
You're NUTS! But, aren't we all. Have fun!

#18 ·
We shall see tomorrow. Our little tropical storm has passed and tomorrow weather looks good. As I said, I've shot these little airweight revolvers before in various .38 special loadings and they were fine. Full house magnums will be a different beast, but I still think they will be manageable. Honestly, I'm just interested to see if there will be any issues with the bullets jumping crimp with my preferred carry load.

Here is the little plinker I'll be comparing it to. My Savage 516 Striker chambered in .308 Winchester. Chances are, there will be video evidence!

#19 ·
Well, the little thumper lived up to the hype! It definitely kicks, however it's far from being uncontrollable. The cylinder latch chewed up the knuckle of my thumb a bit but other than that, it was uneventful. I did get a video of me shooting that I will post later, but it's kinda underwhelming. I also got a video of the Savage Striker in action. I even talked my Wife and little sister into trying it and they both loved it!

Now, on to the bad. The trigger doesn't always reset when shooting full magnum loads. It needs a little nudge to reset. This did not happen with .38 special or my mild .357 reloads. I will take it apart and clean it up as it seems pretty gritty. I'll probably order a set of Wolff springs for it while I'm at it. For now it will sit in the safe with CCI shotshells in it for snake duty.

#21 ·
Here are the videos. You can see in the S&W video that I short stroke the hammer, skipping a chamber and only shooting four rounds.

You can hear my wife and sister in the background of the Savage video commenting on how loud the Savage was. They were both wearing quality ear muffs.

*Edit*
Yeah, I'm aware I have a "few" extra pounds! LoL I'm working on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.