Just acquired p38
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Just acquired p38

Member #
    Liked
    564 times

Just acquired p38

Just got this p38 from my wife’s grandfather. He got it in WWII and sent it home to his wife. He passed about 8 years ago and gave it to my father in law and he gave it to me. It’s all number matching gun with holster and extra correct mag. It’s a CYQ Spreewerke gun in really nice condition. Has not been fired after being sent to USA. It will be passed along to family when I’m done with it. I haven’t decided if I’m going to shoot it or not. Now to research the gun and try to get some more info on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Taurus PT99 AF. Stainless
    Ruger 22 45
    Sig Sauer P938 emperor scorpion

You can't change the mind of someone who refuses to use it....... Me

If we rely on the government for our prosperity there will be no prosperity at all

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20393 times
    Every nice!
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    I have one from my grandfather too, they're very nice shooters!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    31769 times
    Wow, what a piece of history. Do you know where he was when he captured it?
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1306 times
    P38s are awesome. Congrats.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    22351 times
    That's super cool. With Nazi stuff you probably want to get it checked out before shooting it, but if I'm reading the serial number and prefix right that's Dec., 1943. I think that's early enough that you won't run into the late war problems, where materials and workmanship were highly questionable.

http://pistole38.nl.server3.starthos...ctionDates.pdf
    2wheeladdict likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    2773 times
    I love my P38
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    2276 times
    Very nice P38, most WWII bring-backs I've seen have been nickel-plated.

I'm a fan of classic Walther Pistols, with my all-time favorite being the PPK/S.

At first I was a little worried that I was going to enter this thread to find something other than a Walther, as it seems to be a growing trend these days to give new imported Eastern European pistols names matching older firearms for some reason, so I was half expecting to enter this thread only to be greeted by some clone of a CZ-75, or worse some semiautomatic SMG, which is inexplicably named the "Skorpinok P38" or something.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20939 times
    Very very nice WWII Spreewerke made Walther P38 you have there! Congratulations and enjoy it!

Your P38 looks to be in very good condition and well made, but I would have it inspected by a competent Gunsmith, familiar with the design, before shooting it.
    Nice that you have an original WWII soft shell holster for it. Don't store the Pistol in it though! Do keep it well oiled!

One of my very first handguns was a WWII AC Code Walther made P38 and I still have it, along with two post-war P38/P1 Pistols.
    That WWII P38 served to get me interested in Pistol Smithing, as it needed some minor maintenance to keep it reliable, as it served as my House gun, back in the late 1970's.
    I wound up replacing quite a few of the Springs which had become worn, notably the Recoil, Hammer, and Firing Pin Springs.
    I do have a WWII soft shell Holster for my WWII P38, but it was not original issue to it.

Today, while that WWII P38 is in honored semi-retirement in my Gun Vault, I still occasionally pack a Walther P38 along to my Clubs Pistol Range for some fun.
    None of my Walther P38's have proven finicky about what 9x19mm ammunition they will run and my reloads have proven to run in them just fine.

WWII AC Code 1944 Walther P38
    1936 S/42 Mauser Luger
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Wow, what a piece of history. Do you know where he was when he captured it?
    I wish I knew more info from him before he passed. I didn't even know he had it until he was 90. i don't know of any paperwork on it if there ever was any. He said he removed it from a German soldier and sent it home to his wife. He spent his army career building bridges only to have them blown up after they were no longer useful.
    Czechbikr and jwc007 like this.
    Taurus PT99 AF. Stainless
    Ruger 22 45
    Sig Sauer P938 emperor scorpion

You can't change the mind of someone who refuses to use it....... Me

If we rely on the government for our prosperity there will be no prosperity at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links