My search for a Winter carry gun has reached an unexpected conclusion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: My search for a Winter carry gun has reached an unexpected conclusion.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Member #
    56609
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,791
    Liked
    2276 times

    Thumbs up My search for a Winter carry gun has reached an unexpected conclusion.

    I went to my LGS yesterday to pick up some ammo, and while I was there I spotted a Like New Smith & Wesson Sigma SW40VE in the case with a $199 price tag. As those of you who have been following my search for a Winter carry gun already know, one of the firearms that I was considering was a S&W SD40VE, which typically run for $330 brand new.
    So without hesitation I asked to see the SW40 and proceeded to look it over. I worked the slide, the controls, tested out the trigger, (with permission, of course) and examined it. The trigger was surprisingly good considering that the Sigma series has a reputation for bad triggers, it felt like a decent Double Action trigger you would expect from a Revolver, long and someone stiff, but the pull was smooth with a crisp break. The SW40VE appeared to be in like new condition with no signs of significant wear and it came in a plastic clamshell case with one 10 round magazine. (Fortunately, magazines for the Sigma series are all interchangeable and inexpensive.)

    I went home, did some research, and thought it over. Based on my findings, $199 was a fantastic price, as it usually goes for around $200-250 without a box, so I went back to the gunshop at noon and put it on layaway for 60 days with $60 down. Currently it's still too hot in my area to be carrying a full-size double-stack .40cal pistol and I didn't have enough on me to buy it outright anyway, so it made more sense just to put it on layaway.
    For those who don't know, the SW40 is basically just a last generation SD40 with a slightly different slide/frame. The only real improvement made was the SD40 has a marginally better trigger than the SW40, everything else is superficial or otherwise aesthetic.

    I didn't take any pictures as the gunshop because frankly it's a plain-looking gun, as you would expect from a budget-priced pistol such as it is. Seriously, Google Image it, you'll see a million SW40VEs which are all identical to each other with their bead-blasted Stainless Steel slides and plain black polymer frames.
    If enough of you are interested then I'll snap a few pics of it after I pick it up in a month or two, though I doubt that anyone will be interested. Heck, this whole thread is probably pretty disinteresting in general, but I'm excited because I got a good deal on a variant of a pistol that I was considering getting for 1.5x the price.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

  2. #2
    Member
    Member #
    45930
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    57
    Liked
    62 times
    Sounds like you got a deal. I hope you enjoy it. I'm partial to 40 SW myself. I have a friend with an SD9VE and a family member with an SD40VE and both of them say they've never had any issues with them.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Member #
    65354
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    23,859
    Liked
    2773 times
    Congrats on your new to you slide gun.
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    9831
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    3,866
    Liked
    3411 times
    The SDVE9 and SDVE40 are sound handguns .. Im a 40S&W fan .. The Federal 180gr HST is my carry ammo.
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    4800
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Republic of West Florida
    Posts
    28,864
    Liked
    29512 times
    I call the S&W SDVE series (in either caliber) the "Thinking Mans GLOCK".

    To me they have better ergonomics more aesthetically appealing, just as reliable, just as accurate, at 1/2 or less the cost.

    That's why I own a brace of them.

    Good shooting with yours.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NULLI SECUNDUS

  7. #6
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    5628
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    30,893
    Liked
    39081 times
    Sounds like you got the right gun at the right price...and that is a WIN! Congrats!
    Tuco_Ramírez and MOONDAWG like this.
    “…democratic socialism, the great utopia of the last few generations, is not only unachievable but that to strive for it produces something utterly different – the very destruction of freedom itself. As has been aptly said: ‘What has always made the state a hell on earth has been precisely that man has tried to make it his heaven.'” F.A. Hayek

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    56609
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,791
    Liked
    2276 times
    Thanks everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye! View Post
    The SDVE9 and SDVE40 are sound handguns .. Im a 40S&W fan .. The Federal 180gr HST is my carry ammo.
    That's the exact load I plan on carrying. Months ago I watched a bunch of .40S&W ballistics gel tests on YouTube in my free time, and the Federal 180gr HST was always the most impressive to me.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

  9. #8
    Administrator

    Member #
    107
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rockford, Illinois
    Posts
    16,392
    Liked
    20938 times
    Congratulations on putting an S&W SW40VE on layaway and hope you get it paid off soon!

    I think you're going to be very very happy with it!

    I have the 9mm version of the same series of Pistol, known as the S&W SW9VE, and it currently serves in my Fall & Winter carry rotation.
    I actually like the earlier SW Series Slide and Grip profiles a bit better than the current SD series, but I'm sure I could adapt to those, too!
    So far, my SW9VE has proven to be accurate and very very reliable.

    The only modifications I've done to my SW9VE so far have been a mild trigger job, removing the pig-tailed backlash spring, installing a Glock Hi-Viz Fiber Optic Front Sight, and a DPM Recoil Spring Assembly.
    Have been toying around with the idea of having the Slide CeraKoted Black or Teal Blue and mounting an optic on it, but so far I've not had time to play with those notions.


    S&W SW9VE with spare Magazine


    Current Carry Rotation L-R
    Taurus 9mm 24/7 Pro
    Canik TP9V1
    S&W SW9VE

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    I didn't take any pictures as the gunshop because frankly it's a plain-looking gun, as you would expect from a budget-priced pistol such as it is. Seriously, Google Image it, you'll see a million SW40VEs which are all identical to each other with their bead-blasted Stainless Steel slides and plain black polymer frames.
    If enough of you are interested then I'll snap a few pics of it after I pick it up in a month or two, though I doubt that anyone will be interested. Heck, this whole thread is probably pretty disinteresting in general, but I'm excited because I got a good deal on a variant of a pistol that I was considering getting for 1.5x the price.
    Quite frankly, I'm rather fond of the SW Series Pistols clean lines and look.
    Tuco_Ramírez and Hyway like this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

    For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    31408
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    3,583
    Liked
    5354 times
    Awesome deal! Congrats on the new S&W! They are like Hi Points in that many bash them within no knowledge of them.
    Tuco_Ramírez and Uzitiger like this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    56609
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,791
    Liked
    2276 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwc007 View Post
    Congratulations on putting an S&W SW40VE on layaway and hope you get it paid off soon!

    I think you're going to be very very happy with it!

    I have the 9mm version of the same series of Pistol, known as the S&W SW9VE, and it currently serves in my Fall & Winter carry rotation.
    I actually like the earlier SW Series Slide and Grip profiles a bit better than the current SD series, but I'm sure I could adapt to those, too!
    So far, my SW9VE has proven to be accurate and very very reliable.

    The only modifications I've done to my SW9VE so far have been a mild trigger job, removing the pig-tailed backlash spring, installing a Glock Hi-Viz Fiber Optic Front Sight, and a DPM Recoil Spring Assembly.
    Have been toying around with the idea of having the Slide CeraKoted Black or Teal Blue and mounting an optic on it, but so far I've not had time to play with those notions.


    S&W SW9VE with spare Magazine


    Current Carry Rotation L-R
    Taurus 9mm 24/7 Pro
    Canik TP9V1
    S&W SW9VE

    Quite frankly, I'm rather fond of the SW Series Pistols clean lines and look.
    Yep, that's identical to the one I just put on layaway.

    Honestly, I prefer the look/feel of the SW40 to the SD40 as well, and find the firearm to be aesthetically pleasing as well, but most folks refer to them as being "plain" or even "ugly" so I didn't think it was worth the effort to snap any pics of it. Besides, the lighting inside the gunshop would have made getting a decent-looking shot challenging to say the least, so it would be better for me to wait until I have it paid off so that I could take pics at home.

    Personally, I like the two-tone look of the SW/SD pistols, so I wouldn't Cerakote the slide, but I'm a sucker for stainless.
    jwc007 and MOONDAWG like this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •