Some from the past
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Some from the past

Member #
    Liked
    147 times

Some from the past

I was given these by a friend whose grandfather had them in the bottom of his safe. Just thought I would share as I find this stuff cool.<br>
    <br>
    Clockwise from top left:<br>
    <br>
    H&amp;R "The American Double action" 6 shot .32 caliber c.1888-1897<br>
    <br>
    Colt Police Positive 6 shot .32 New Police - 1912 looks like it spent the majority of it's 107 years at the bottom of a lake.<br>
    <br>
    Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works 5 Shot .38 centerfire black powder c.late 1800's<br>
    <br>
    Remington Smoot 5 Shot 30 rimfire c.1873-1888. Based on serial #, it appears to be an early model.<br>
    <br>
    Thanks for letting me share<br>Name:  fullsizeoutput_835.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  2.51 MB
    Stroker, WooD, airwrench and 12 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    31775 times
    Very interesting, lots of firearms history there! How does the cylinder work on that Remington? Is it like a NAA .22, where you just pull the whole cylinder? Looks like the H&R works the same way.

Grips and sights sure have improved, haven't they?
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Very interesting, lots of firearms history there! How does the cylinder work on that Remington? Is it like a NAA .22, where you just pull the whole cylinder? Looks like the H&R works the same way.

Grips and sights sure have improved, haven't they?
    They both load on the right side. Not sure there would be much accuracy with the sights! Cool old pieces though.
    Name:  IMG_7179.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  1.89 MB
    airwrench and GhostHorse like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Love me my guns from the past although it's getting harder every year to find anything vintage.
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2524 times
    Looks like they need one of those Workshop Hero rust remover baths.

So, when you get an old firearm like this do you try to clean it up (remove rust) or do you leave it in its natural state? Do you replace any parts (if there is such a thing to be found)? Do you shoot one of these old relics or do you just leave it on display for the sake of history?

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post

So, when you get an old firearm like this do you try to clean it up (remove rust) or do you leave it in its natural state? Do you replace any parts (if there is such a thing to be found)? Do you shoot one of these old relics or do you just leave it on display for the sake of history?
    My primary carry will most often be an experienced if not old firearm. The ones between 50 and 100 years old tend to be among my most often carried handguns. Yup, the get inspected regularly, pieces parts replaced as needed and maintained just as I would my less experienced handguns. On some finding parts may be an issue but most of them were made in the tens or hundreds of thousands so generally while it can be difficult it's not impossible to find anything needed.

Last week my carry gun was my Colt 1903 Type 1 that was made in 1906 and so is 113 years old.

The barrel on that one is 4" long and it holds 8 + 1 rounds of 32acp. If I feel a need for a HiCap I'll carry my Savage 1907 that was made in 1913. It was the first HiCap Double Stack magazine semi, decades before the Browning HiPower. It holds 10 + 1 and used "Ten rounds fast" as a marketing slogan at the time.

The Colt is an internal hammer fired Single Action that was marketed as "Hammerless" while what looks like a hammer on the Savage is actually a manual-cocking lever on the striker.

Generally I like to keep the guns as close to original as possible. I'll remove rust and do minor touchup or rebluing and even a full reblue if I think it will help preserve the longevity or function, but don't try to make them look like new guns. In revolvers things like lockup and timing are often beyond my ability and so they go to someone who knows what they are doing. With semi-automatics I can usually change springs and replace parts, maybe even do some minor and non-critical fitting.
    Last edited by sig_230; 09-15-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: applin spallin
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33231 times
    I love looking at old firearms, especially in museums. Always makes me wonder what stories they could tell if they could talk.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post

I will leave these as they are. May make a display for them. Too cool to bury in a safe.
    jtg452 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    I love looking at old firearms, especially in museums. Always makes me wonder what stories they could tell if they could talk.
    That’s what I always wonder. What have these “seen” over the years? They are nothing special, but they definitely have stories with them.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21889 times
    The Old firearms are just so unique and individual they're a joy to look at. I don't care much for the stories they could tell because who wants to hear stories of how a life was ended by the business end of one. I understand that sometimes it's a necessary evil, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still evil. I would much rather hear stories of how a trusted arm went with its owner for decades for protection to never been fired in defense or anger.
    jtg452 likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links