New to me 629-6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: New to me 629-6

Member #
    Liked
    554 times

New to me 629-6

I've been shopping .44 mags lately and I got this one today. It's a "new" Smith and Wesson 629-6. I put new in quotes because it was previously owned but the guy shot fewer than 50 rounds through it before deciding it was too much gun for him. The Harry Callahan Syndrome was cured pretty fast.

I was mulling over whether to get a 629 or a Taurus M44 and Smith won the day. Today, at least. Being of the mind that you can never have too many guns, I will get a M44 in a couple of months when my gun budget recovers (and after I pay my property taxes!).

Among other things, this pistola will see duty at our little ranchette on those evening walks around the woods and pastures. You just never know when something will pop up that needs to be shot. I'll keep it stoked with my .44 Special handloads, plenty of gun for whatever, from hog to armadillo. Dang them rooters and diggers!

The factory grips are good and will do a good job for recoil absorbing shooting, but I'm going to outfit this one with some of those imitation stag grips from Altamont and a Tyler T-Grip for those fancy Texas barbecues we all always be having. This big ol' N frame is of the round butt persuasion for those interested in such things.

I also have a beautiful, yet tasteful, chocolate brown Tom Threepersons holster on the way. It's the spitting image of the ones sold by El Paso Saddlery but about $40 cheaper. Made by a guy in Georgia, so you know it's good. I have one of his T3P holsters for my .357 Blackhawk and it's a dandy.

Here are the obligatory photos, gun and holster. A range report will be added at a later date! And just for fun, here is a quote from Clint Smith. "When it comes to modern day revolvers, S&W and Taurus are the only two significant makers actively making revolvers in any number for self defense needs." How do ya like them apples?
    Name:  SiUY1qE.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  911.8 KB
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  185.7 KB
    Last edited by Kevin Keith; 09-04-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2822 times
    Congrats on your new to you wheel gun.
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33443 times
    Makes me wish I hadn’t sold mine. It was a 6 1/2 inch blue. I still miss it.
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    554 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    Makes me wish I hadn’t sold mine. It was a 6 1/2 inch blue. I still miss it.
    Smoke, it's always best not to dwell on the ones we let get away. There's too much pain as we pass through this vale of tears as it is.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Keith View Post
    Smoke, it's always best not to dwell on the ones we let get away. There's too much pain as we pass through this vale of tears as it is.
    In memory. (Sniff)

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/m...cture10390.jpg
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Nice wheel gun!!
    Kevin Keith likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11313 times
    Very nice Smith. Good job.
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    554 times
    Thew T3P holster got here yesterday evening. Fits like a glove!
    Name:  SxGqxSt.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  571.3 KB

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20805 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    DAYUM! Smoke - how’d you let that, what appears to be a classic, one get away?
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20805 times
    And, Mr Keith (OP), very nice new (to you) wheelgun! Gotta admit, I don’t currently have anything which shoots 44 Mag (gave away my lever gun to my oldest son) and I’m prolly too old to begin handguns in 44 Mag anyway. What’s nice is that you can shoot 44 SPCL and 44 Russian in it.
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links