Taurus Firearm Forum banner

New to me 629-6

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Kevin Keith 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been shopping .44 mags lately and I got this one today. It's a "new" Smith and Wesson 629-6. I put new in quotes because it was previously owned but the guy shot fewer than 50 rounds through it before deciding it was too much gun for him. The Harry Callahan Syndrome was cured pretty fast.

I was mulling over whether to get a 629 or a Taurus M44 and Smith won the day. Today, at least. Being of the mind that you can never have too many guns, I will get a M44 in a couple of months when my gun budget recovers (and after I pay my property taxes!).

Among other things, this pistola will see duty at our little ranchette on those evening walks around the woods and pastures. You just never know when something will pop up that needs to be shot. I'll keep it stoked with my .44 Special handloads, plenty of gun for whatever, from hog to armadillo. Dang them rooters and diggers!

The factory grips are good and will do a good job for recoil absorbing shooting, but I'm going to outfit this one with some of those imitation stag grips from Altamont and a Tyler T-Grip for those fancy Texas barbecues we all always be having. This big ol' N frame is of the round butt persuasion for those interested in such things.

I also have a beautiful, yet tasteful, chocolate brown Tom Threepersons holster on the way. It's the spitting image of the ones sold by El Paso Saddlery but about $40 cheaper. Made by a guy in Georgia, so you know it's good. I have one of his T3P holsters for my .357 Blackhawk and it's a dandy.

Here are the obligatory photos, gun and holster. A range report will be added at a later date! And just for fun, here is a quote from Clint Smith. "When it comes to modern day revolvers, S&W and Taurus are the only two significant makers actively making revolvers in any number for self defense needs." How do ya like them apples?
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Handgun holster Leather Gun accessory

See less See more
#10 ·
And, Mr Keith (OP), very nice new (to you) wheelgun! Gotta admit, I don’t currently have anything which shoots 44 Mag (gave away my lever gun to my oldest son) and I’m prolly too old to begin handguns in 44 Mag anyway. What’s nice is that you can shoot 44 SPCL and 44 Russian in it.

Reactions: Kevin Keith
#13 · (Edited)
I do love my 629-6. I think it might be the most accurate revolver I own, and I do have some nice old Smiths. I know it's responsible for the single most awesome handgun shot I've made. I'd shot all my 10 yd and 25 yd paper targets and I had one round left. I thought, "I'm going to try that yonder hanging target." Right, a steel strip 4" wide and 100 yards away. One shot offhand and sent it swinging like crazy.

#15 ·
Beautiful gun.

The S&W 629 is my favorite revolver, but sadly one I'm unlikely to ever own as they tend to command prices I could never afford/justify, so the most I can do is admire them from afar.

Reactions: Kevin Keith
#16 · (Edited)
Here it is with the Altamont stag grips. I have a BK grip adapter that will be here in a few days. The BK adapter is a polymer Tyler T-Grip knock off. They come in black and ivory and are around $12 cheaper than Tyler Ts. Plus you can order them online instead of mailing off like you have to do for the Tyler Ts. I think I'll need to send off for the brushed aluminum Tyler T-Grips anyway though just to have a match with the stainless steel. BTW, it recoil is very manageable with these grips shooting a hot .44 Special load. I haven't touched off any factory magnum rounds yet onnacounta I'm cheap!
Revolver Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol
Banana

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.