Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Range review of the ATI Firepower Xtreme GI commander 1911 in 45acp

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11165 times

Range review of the ATI Firepower Xtreme GI commander 1911 in 45acp

During my trading I came across a great price on an entry level 1911 made in the Philippines and imported by ATI. This Commander sized 1911 cost me $349. I had some concerns because of the name firepower xtreme and not having experience with ATI's imports. However this pistol has reviewed very well and now I see why.
    Name:  P1030471BB.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  808.0 KB
    This is what you get in the box, just one magazine, paperwork, trial lube, and a manual. The gun was not overly lubed with shipping lube, in fact it was only lubed in a few places.
    Name:  P1030472BB.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  732.9 KB
    This gun was tight, the barrel bushing would hardly move, the slide stop is very tight and during reassembly finding the right position was critical. The slide to frame fit is the tightest I have seen outside of a Colt competition, so is the barrel bushing. Now some specs: This 1911 weighs 35.7 oz's without a mag. It is 7 13/16" long, 5 3/8" tall, .952" slide width, and 1.29" wide at the grip panels. The SA trigger pull runs 5.5lbs with a 1/4" reset. The LOP is 2.65". The magazine holds 8 rounds. The barrel is 4.25" long, and is made from 4140 steel. The textured grips are mahogany and feel very good. Another reason I chose this model was I don't like the GI beaver tail when shooting 45acp, it beats my hand up. This 1911 has an extended beaver tail with a memory bump.
    Name:  P1030473BB.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  841.2 KB
    The Pistol looks pretty good with the matte finish, I can't tell what was used to get the finish, but it is nice. The military style sights are correctly aligned, but the front sight was too high. I was hitting about 3-4 inches low at the beginning. The height was .166 from the factory, so I took .010 off at a time until I reached a good POI. My final height ended up at .124. Windage may be a bit left , but I am not ready to drift the rear sight yet. Now I have done a few things to make this even a better pistol. Did light polishing to the outside of the barrel, inside of the barrel bushing, inside of the barrel link, the slide rails, the frame feed ramp and barrel ramp. As far as functionality there is no real need to do any polishing, I just wanted it to smooth out and be easier to take down/reassemble.
    Name:  P1030493b.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  625.4 KB
    So far it has run over 200 rounds of both factory and reloads flawlessly. The target was at 20 yards, and it took me a few shots to get my sight picture down. But after that hitting the bullseye area was easy. This inexpensive 1911 has really performed very well, and is a keeper. Thanks for taking the time to read my review.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    31734 times
    Very nice review! Thanks for the writeup!
    silverstring and Yissnakk like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    22340 times
    Nice, but damn those grips are ugly!
    silverstring and Yissnakk like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2184 times
    Congrats on your new acquisition.
    silverstring likes this.
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Member #
    Liked
    5215 times
    Nice acquisition! I have the same pistol in .22lr. Great quality and a great value! I do have to agree about the grips... I swapped mine out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    silverstring, bigC and jwc007 like this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    19539 times
    Wow $349? That looks like quite the bargain. Thanks for the review.

Member #
    Liked
    26963 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    Nice, but damn those grips are ugly!
    maybe its the background?
    I like the feel and looks pretty good on my Springfield Range Officer, the grips came off a ATI 1911 Govt.
    Mine are a good bit lighter color however.
    jwc007 and silverstring like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    26963 times
    I have three ATI products, a 380 (clone of the browning/ beretta 380,) and two 1911.
    the Defnder size is one sweet shooting lil weapon, its steel frame and the weight and manageable recoil is about perfect for me in a carry 1911.
    all three are very good performing weapons and no problems so far.
    I think I paid 200 bucks for the commander size from a guy that bought it and then his buddies told him it was a POS, bet it didn't have 100 rounds through, didn't need it but at that price and my previous experience with ATI I picked it up.
    these are manufactured by SAM, the second largest manufacture in the Phillipines.
    the 380 is manufactured by TISAS.
    silverstring, darbo and Yissnakk like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20372 times
    I have an “Officer’s” size like olfarhors. The one at the top in photo below. The middle one is a RIA Commander - the front sight popped off within 100 rounds but I had put the CT Lasergrip on it due to the “spec size” (too tiny to see) rear sight!

For the ATI I did change out the stock grips with Altamont deep redwood ones.
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 07-19-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Nice write.up. I've been looking at that pistol for a minute.
    Congrats on the acquisition.
    silverstring likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links