Charter Arms 6shot 380acp revovler - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Charter Arms 6shot 380acp revovler

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye! View Post
    One reason 9mm SD ammo works extremely well out of short barrels ... Not many 38spl or 357mag ... SD ammo choices work well out of snubbies ...

Same can be said about 40 S&W ... Not much of a reason for 380acp unless the revolver has a 4 inch barrel
    well as I mentioned we (some) have different opinions than me--but this day in age and with the modern design projectiles there is usually a cartridge in any medium to large size caliber that will do the job.
    in the case of the 380 several modern factory rounds have presented themselves quite well with adequate penetration and still producing good expansion to the tune of around 60-70 caliber. actually in the case of the 380 you can push them to fast for the best performance, depending on the particular projectile.
    Now IF we are speaking of energy (which many think does not matter in pistol calibers)_ myself I think if it hurts then it matters but anyway, you get energy levels by using weight AND Speed neither of which you are going to get a lot of out of a short barreled weapon of either semi auto or revolver.
    anyone can find things that are a plus in their choice but you kind of still get back to revolvers are very limited capacity, take a long time to reload and still have that really fat waistband "Cylinder".
    Buckeye! likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16792 times
    I could see getting a 9mm or 380 in a revolver if you had semi autos only. Then a revolver that shot 380, just like your other 380s, would make sense as a range toy. You could even carry it from time to time, just to say "yeah I carry a revolver." Those of us that have more revolvers than semi autos however, already have plenty of......

OMG what am I saying, of course I would get one.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    31798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye! View Post
    Not many 38spl or 357mag ... SD ammo choices work well out of snubbies ...l
    Wow, this seems to be an incredible statement to me. People have been using snub nose .38 Specials in significant numbers since, oh, about 1920something. Shame all those Detectives and Chiefs didn't know then what we know now.

I can see someone having a use for .380 revolver. If I wanted something a bit smaller and softer recoiling than .38 Special, there's always .38 S&W/.38 New Police. You almost have to reload for it though.
    NativeTexan and Qwiks draw like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post

I can see someone having a use for .380 revolver. If I wanted something a bit smaller and softer recoiling than .38 Special, there's always .38 S&W/.38 New Police. You almost have to reload for it though.
    enter the 32 S & W, now thats a lil bitty short frame and cylinder, and you don't need no stinkin moon clips.
    course I imagine the 380 would out perform it, but then again ballistics from semi autoes that list barrel length are different than barrel length in revolvers, so you would need to figure all this into the equation, or use a chrony.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31205 times
    See, the little .380 autos we have now are more practical than a .380 revolver IMHO. I guess that's just my HO, though. I'd rather carry a lighter, smaller, flatter firearm in this caliber and it WAS intended for semi autos afterall.

I'll keep my snubbies in .38 and .357, thanks. BUT, I'm sure glad there is a choice out there because there are plenty of revolver lovers out there that don't agree with my opinion.....

Naw, say it ain't so!
    olfarhors and GhostHorse like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    2287 times
    You know, as much as I like the .380 ACP cartridge, I cannot figure out for the life of me the purpose of a Revolver chambered in .380 ACP when .38 Special has equal or greater (+P) energy, can be used without moon clips, and generally comes in equal size/weight Revolvers.

It seems to me as if Taurus and Charter Arms noticed the popularity of .380 Pocket Pistols, but didn't understand that their appeal was that they were low-priced, lightweight, and extremely easy to conceal, ergo they just assumed that the cartridge alone was popular so anything chambered in it would be a hot-seller.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it will certainly get the job done, but why anybody would choose a .380 Revolver when a .380 Pocket Pistol is smaller, typically lighter, holds more rounds, and costs significantly less is beyond my understanding. I know that some folks are extremely sensitive to the recoil of these micro .380s, but if they're really so unbearable to shoot that you just can't do it, then the solution would be to opt for a bigger pistol chambered in .380 ACP like the Ruger LC380, not a Revolver.
    olfarhors and NativeTexan like this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    31798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    You know, as much as I like the .380 ACP cartridge, I cannot figure out for the life of me the purpose of a Revolver chambered in .380 ACP when .38 Special has equal or greater (+P) energy, can be used without moon clips, and generally comes in equal size/weight Revolvers.
    .380 is adequate. .38 Special is good. You can get bullet weights up to 158 grains. It's balistically superior whether you believe in energy or momentum. But there are times when the ability to slip a .380 semi into a back pocket, in something not much bigger than an everyday wallet, is too good to pass up.

A revolver in that caliber is a bit smaller than a .38 Special revolver, and probably recoils a bit less, but would the difference ever be significant? I tend to doubt it, but the free market fills every niche until it's proven that there's no more money to be made trying. Heck, if the first .380 revolver were introduced tomorrow, they'd probably sell 1000 just to the I've-got-to-have-a-snub-in-every-caliber crowd. You know, the folks who make up 99% of the marketing analysis for .454 snubs.
    Qwiks draw and olfarhors like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    8582 times
    The .380 revolver does have some merit. There are those of us who like and use revolvers for CCW and home defense. The Charter Arms and Taurus models fit into those molds.

There are number of things here to look at.

The Pitbull can be a primary or back up gun. It'll work for those who want to or have a need to do it that way. Sure, there are .32 H&R magnum caliber revolvers out there as well. One can try the .32s or .380s revolvers out to see which fits them and their needs. Yes, throw in the .38 Special revolvers as well.

The Pitbull can be the main gun and a Taurus 380 as a back up. Some will carry just one or the other as their primary. If it works for the individual, fine. If you others want to carry something else, fine.

Back in the day when the Taurus Judge line first came out I had major doubts about the Judge. Fast forward a year or so and the mind was changed due to the Judge owners could point out that the Judge was working for them and why. So the mind was changed on that to a degree. For everyday use do I need a Judge? No, not really. The Judge however does a remarkable job for it's owners. It matters not what others think on the subject. For those who want to use the Charter Arms or Taurus .380 revolvers, no problem. If it works for them, fine. Nothing else matters.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20405 times
    Last I checked, Ruger wasn’t offering their LCR in 380 Auto and doubtful that the need to compete with CA in that market will or would matter.

Oh, and before I forget, Federal’s HST micro Line is specifically designed for short stubby barrels. They do this with their 9mm, 380auto and 38 SPCL +P (which is basically a SWC profile at the cartridge mouth).
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    3415 times
    Welcome GNU/Linux Users!: Review: Charter Arms Pitbull .380ACP No-Moon Clip Revolver

This is a link to a review of the Charter 380acp Pitbull ...

Also Charter is offering a $25.00 rebate & your choice of a T shirt or a hat !!!!!
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links