Said bye bye to my Sig P938
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Said bye bye to my Sig P938

Member #
    Liked
    77 times

Said bye bye to my Sig P938

I'll start off by saying this was a gun I wanted to love. I've read enough to realize that this gun has problems and there will be those that respond that theirs has run perfect. I'll just say that there are enough people with problems you better believe too many 938's are just bad/junk. First mags suck. The 2 that came with the gun exhibited the same loose condition as well as the Sig mag I bought afterwards. The top round is so loosely held its prone to fall out and it feels like it wants to pop out and wiggles back and fourth. I've carried an extra mag in a clip style in pocket carrier and had rounds stripped off many times and would find them in the wash. When I carry the 938 for several days and drop a clip there's a loose round that falls out. I've had rounds hang up on the right corner at the beginning of the ramp I think because of the mags. I had a couple of stovepipes in 400 rounds of Blazer Brass. But I have never seen the like of the mags inability to securely hold the top round and have never ever dropped a mag and have a loose round fall out from any other gun. The gun was never treated rough or dropped. I shot the gun well and it was very accurate for a 3.1" barrel but I have absolutely no confidence in the gun to perform at the level you need to CC. There is noway I would ever recommend this weapon. For me fooling with repair wasn't gonna happen I was done.

My $200 Taurus G2C is a better gun. It's run perfect from day one. I've dropped from 3' onto tile and not have a loose round. The G2C is just as accurate feels great in the hand. So at the end of the day I traded the 938 in on a Taurus G2S and left with it and cash.
    loudviking, 777Driver and JaPes like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30861 times
    Since it's essentially about the Sig, I moved it to other handguns.

People trash Taurus pistols, but hey, you can even get a Sig lemon. My Taurus pistols and revolvers have treated ME well, I can say that. I don't own a Sig. I've always appreciated the P220, but the price of Sigs have always scared me off. I've always been working class. Now, I'm retired working class. Sad tale, but true.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20249 times
    Sometimes when something just does not work for you, it's best to cut your losses, if any, and send it on down the road. One man's trash may be another man's treasure.

I've owned and run two Sigs, an excellent P226 9mm and an early P220A .45 ACP. The P226 shot and ran very well, but I always shot my Pre-B Cz75 and Tanfoglio TA90 better.
    I had purchased the P226 prior to the 1994 Crime Bill, and it had become instantly collectible, due to the four spare Hi Cap Magazines that I had for it.
    Also, I had just gotten laid off, and one of my former co-workers offered me a seriously good price for it, that I could not refuse. So off the P226 went.

On the P220A, Sig had really not figured out how to make a .45 run well, and when I got it, it proved to be somewhat disappointing.
    Sig had put the same recoil spring in that .45 as they did a 9mm, and frame battering along with excessive firing Pin drag on spent primers, were the result.
    The P220A also refused to feed most Hollow Points. After changing the Recoil Spring and polishing/throating the barrel feed mouth and ramp, I got it to work as it should.
    Note that newer P220 .45's don't have these issues and are better made, but what was then, was unacceptable for a new Pistol.
    I never totally warmed up to the P220A, and it usually lost out to my .45 Witnesses, when heading to the Range, a Match, or choosing a CCW.
    Along with two other .45 Pistols, it was sold off to a retired LEO, who wanted it badly. Thus ended the Sig presence in my Gun Vault and holsters.

I do find the new Sig P365 9mm to be of interest, but I might opt for a Walther CCP 9mm instead.
    That said, both my Taurus PT709 and PT111 Millennium Pro continue to provide very good service, so the above may never be bothered with.
    NativeTexan likes this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Like Native Texan stated I like to look at the Sig pistols but that price scares me away, I do own one Sig it is an SP2022 in .40cal bought it at Academy when they had it on sale $289.00 right before Christmas a couple of years ago it is a great gun shoots everything you feed it and with over 2000 rounds through it and never any problems I would say it was a very good purchase.

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    I've only had one Sig that I simply could never really meld with and that was a 225. My 226 and 2009 were fine, reliable and accurate but just never my favorites and so they went to forever homes. The Sig P230 and P290RS 380 and P290RS 9mm though have stayed and still go walkabout with me.

If a particular gun simply doesn't work for you then let it go.
    olfarhors likes this.
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwc007 View Post
    Sometimes when something just does not work for you, it's best to cut your losses, if any, and send it on down the road. One man's trash may be another man's treasure.

I've owned and run two Sigs, an excellent P226 9mm and an early P220A .45 ACP. The P226 shot and ran very well, but I always shot my Pre-B Cz75 and Tanfoglio TA90 better.
    I had purchased the P226 prior to the 1994 Crime Bill, and it had become instantly collectible, due to the four spare Hi Cap Magazines that I had for it.
    Also, I had just gotten laid off, and one of my former co-workers offered me a seriously good price for it, that I could not refuse. So off the P226 went.

On the P220A, Sig had really not figured out how to make a .45 run well, and when I got it, it proved to be somewhat disappointing.
    Sig had put the same recoil spring in that .45 as they did a 9mm, and frame battering along with excessive firing Pin drag on spent primers, were the result.
    The P220A also refused to feed most Hollow Points. After changing the Recoil Spring and polishing/throating the barrel feed mouth and ramp, I got it to work as it should.
    Note that newer P220 .45's don't have these issues and are better made, but what was then, was unacceptable for a new Pistol.
    I never totally warmed up to the P220A, and it usually lost out to my .45 Witnesses, when heading to the Range, a Match, or choosing a CCW.
    Along with two other .45 Pistols, it was sold off to a retired LEO, who wanted it badly. Thus ended the Sig presence in my Gun Vault and holsters.

I do find the new Sig P365 9mm to be of interest, but I might opt for a Walther CCP 9mm instead.
    That said, both my Taurus PT709 and PT111 Millennium Pro continue to provide very good service, so the above may never be bothered with.
    I had a Sig P250C that I wish I never sold. They said it was a compact but I beg to differ. Once I figured it out it was a very accurate easy pistol to shoot. My brother has a Sig 365 and raves about it. I tried one but prefer the G2C. I hope the G2S works out the same.
    Last edited by sanford1212; 06-18-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    OKNewshawk and jwc007 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2194 times
    I have gained a newfound appreciation for inexpensive yet reliable firearms over the past couple years.

When I first got into firearms I was all about flashy, expensive, big-name firearms, eventhough I couldn't afford such things and had to save up for excessively long periods of time to get such firearms that I had a much more immediate need for, but over the past couple years that all changed.

My last 3 firearms purchases were utilitarian, inexpensive firearms by somewhat lesser companies, but I love them all and now the next firearms I'm looking into for the role of a future Winter Carry are the same.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    My last 3 firearms purchases were utilitarian, inexpensive firearms by somewhat lesser companies, but I love them all and now the next firearms I'm looking into for the role of a future Winter Carry are the same.
    Winter? Winter? We don't need no stinkin' winter! (but we have already had almost twenty days at 100 or higher and it ain't quite Summer yet)
    twolfe55 likes this.
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Member #
    Liked
    26442 times
    HMM//
    well Kinda sounds like magazine issues to me?
    but whatever, your gun, your money , personally i am still sleeping with and making love to my Sigs and CZ's.
    oh and I can actually get magazines for all these as well.
    Desperado likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    I'm positive it's the mags. Pretty sure you wouldn't keep a gun you didn't trust and spending money for costly aftermarket mags to try find the ones that work to fix it is a why bother. The money could be spent better somewhere else. I also had a a CZ P10C and it was dead reliable and a good shooter. For me I've found that Taurus makes what I want. I researched the 938 and knew they had problems early on but thought that after a few years they would have fixed them but no there are still to many complaints for the 938.
    NativeTexan and Nimbly like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links