The wonder 9's - CZP10C, FN 509, H&K VP9, WALTHER PPQ, and RUGER SR9E Impressions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The wonder 9's - CZP10C, FN 509, H&K VP9, WALTHER PPQ, and RUGER SR9E Impressions

Member #
    Liked
    11035 times

Thumbs down The wonder 9's - CZP10C, FN 509, H&K VP9, WALTHER PPQ, and RUGER SR9E Impressions

Last year I covered the G5 Glock 19 which is a pretty good choice. Over the last 6 months I purchased the remaining 4 of the military trials wonder 9's that I wanted to test. There are scores of quite good reviews and comparisons of these pistols on the web and you tube, so I won't go into an in depth review. This post is about shooting impressions, with a somewhat surprising twist.

First lets discuss a few spec's:

FN 509 - 17 round pistol coming in at 24.4 oz's unloaded - this pistol had a decent trigger pull between 6 - 6.5 lbs. The reset and break are not as good as the P10C, VP9 or PPQ. The ergos are decent, but the checkering was too aggressive for me. This FN like others I have owned is very well made and built to last. The heavy trigger did not affect shooting however, it feels lighter than it is. The tall front sight was a deal breaker for me, it simply was too distracting while firing, which impaired my accuracy past 10 yards. This pistol cost me $559, but it went out in trade as well. Sorry no pics of the targets.

CZp10c - 15 round pistol coming in at 26 oz's unloaded - My gun had a heavy trigger pull - started out at 6.5 lbs - after 200 dry fires and about 100 rounds, it dropped to 5.5 - 6lbs. Acceptable but not as nice as other p10's, the break and reset were very good. The frame ergos are very good, but the over built slide and heavy bull barrel make this an unbalanced shooter. But it is an excellent pistol for the $360 I paid for it. But sadly it went away on a trade. I did not keep any targets from my P10C outings, The heavy trigger and heavy slide did not equate to great accuracy, it was the least accurate for me of these five pistols.

H&K VP9 - 15 round pistol coming in at 23.7 oz's unloaded - This pistol has an excellent trigger - mine came in between 5 - 5.4 lbs. One of the best tactile and audible resets and breaks available. This is a well built offering from H&K. My only complaint is the groove cut into the bottom of the trigger guard, it is uncomfortable on my trigger finger. This pistol had the best accuracy of all 4, very ergonomic with the multiple backstraps and side panels, configuring the grip for any shooter. The VP9 was the most expensive for me, coming in at $569.
    Name:  P1030469bb.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  782.6 KB

Walther PPQ - 15 round pistol coming in at 22.3 oz's unloaded - this pistol also has an excellent trigger - mine came in between 4.5 and 5 lbs, with an excellent tactile and audible reset and break. The Walther frame ergo's are outstanding. I have no complaints, it has everything a shooter could want in a pistol. It is a tad more snappy than the VP9, but so easy to control. You know how Volkswagon and BMW engines have a nice smooth roar different from US cars. This pistol also has a different feel and sound while shooting, like a well tuned VW 6 cylinder. This pistol cost me $449
    Name:  P1030468bb.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  1.38 MB

Ruger SR9E - Ok I know this isn't considered one of the wonder nines, but was almost as accurate as the examples above and I picked it up used like new for $259. This pistol has 17 round magazines and comes in at 24.1 oz's unloaded, the stock trigger pull was between 6 - 6.5 lbs. The reset and break are tactile but not audible. I love my SR9C and wanted another SR series to go along with it. I moved the ghost connector from my SR9c to this SR9e because I felt the pull was getting too light in the SR9C as it is my main carry pistol. With the Ghost connector in the 9E the trigger pull is 4.5 to 5 lbs. What surprised me, even with the stock trigger my first shots with this pistol were very close in accuracy to all the others I tested.
    Name:  P1030467bb.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  803.5 KB

So to wrap this up , All 5 pistols are very nice. An improvement to the older styles of poly nines. Any would serve you well for SD or range duty. I am going to have to get rid of either the VP9 or PPQ due to medical bills. I have a sell offer going on the VP9 and it may be the one I let go.
    Name:  P1030465bb.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  779.8 KB
    CJS3, bobbojama, twolfe55 and 8 others like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16444 times
    Nice report. That sux about the med bill, but been there, done that. My wife is constantly telling me "it's hell getting old", I just didn't believe her.

Odd how the Ruger at basically half the price is only marginally less shootable than the euros.
    jwc007 and silverstring like this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2713 times
    I had a VP-9 and a PPQ Classic, I kept the PPQ. It has a scary/awesome trigger for a striker gun.

I still think about parting with it as well, but it is accuracy matches its trigger.

Maloy
    jwc007 and silverstring like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20258 times
    Good review! Sorry to hear of your Medical Bills, but I would keep the PPQ and SR9E.

Lately, I've been interested in the Ruger SR9E, Ruger American Pro - Full Size and Compact.
    That said, I'm still very well served by my Canik TP9V1 and other 9mm Pistols, which are all
    "Wonderful" 9's.
    silverstring likes this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    19304 times
    Nice report! My buddy has the VP9 and I have shot it a couple times. It certainly is a nice gun and has a very good trigger. I haven't shot it enough to notice the groove you mention that bothered your finger. I'll have to stea….errr uh borrow the gun from him and check it out closer.
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    280 times
    I was always partial to the S&W WonderNines. Also I thought it neat that the MAB PA-15 that might be considered the first Wonder Nine used the Savage delayed blowback system found on the Savage 1907 model.
    silverstring likes this.
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Member #
    Liked
    1506 times
    Sorry to hear about the bills and need to move some guns.

Thanks for the review. I would sell all three though. The VP9 to help with bills. The PPQ to get a Creed. Use the leftover money for whatever you need. The SR9 for a Security 9. Just because that's what I want and this way I can live vicariously through you.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30862 times
    Well, you didn't test my current fave, the Taurus TH9c. But, I will NEVER EVER own another striker gun and most younger folks won't own a hammer gun. It would be akin to owning a matchlock. It's a fad based world, I suppose. The Taurus was my choice between it and the Springfield Armory XDe. The Taurus is as light and wins hands town on firepower. I'd as soon carry one of my revolvers as the XDe, not much difference in firepower.

I understand the medical bills thing. I just ordered a refill of my chemo drug, Jakafi. I get help with it, though, and have a good supplemental insurance, so it's no cost to me regardless of its $13,000 a month cost. And, no, I didn't add too many zeros.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 06-13-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    slong115 and silverstring like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    11035 times
    Quote Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the bills and need to move some guns.

Thanks for the review. I would sell all three though. The VP9 to help with bills. The PPQ to get a Creed. Use the leftover money for whatever you need. The SR9 for a Security 9. Just because that's what I want and this way I can live vicariously through you.
    You must be a mind reader. My gun show dealer friend wanted both the PPQ and VP9, along with a Ruger police security six I just finished restoring. So I have a new Canik TP9SF Elite, Ruger security 9 with Viridian laser, and a new ATI commander 1911 on the way to replace them.
    morrcarr67 likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    1506 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    You must be a mind reader. My gun show dealer friend wanted both the PPQ and VP9, along with a Ruger police security six I just finished restoring. So I have a new Canik TP9SF Elite, Ruger security 9 with Viridian laser, and a new ATI commander 1911 on the way to replace them.
    Sweet.

But, I would have had a hard time getting rid of the Security Six. That's kind of why I want a Security 9; to go with my Security Six. LoL.

But it does sound like you got some nice replacements for what you sold. Really interested in your review of the Security 9 once you get it to the range.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links