Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Professional

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18277 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Looks like a fun revolver! I have never shot .32H&R but we have folks here that seem to like it.
    The 32 H&R Magnum is a very soft shooting round, indeed. I keep a Ruger SP101 (4” barreled) 327 Fed loaded with 32Mag for the wife at the house. Recoil barely registers with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    Why the H&R instead of Federal magnum?
    Exactly! This is the marketing question du jour!

Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    That was my first thought. Must be cylinder length.
    Ha ha. Yep. But if you’re going to OWB Carry like the guy in the video an extra half inch cylinder/barrel would be no big deal.

Hate to break it to CA but S&W came out with an 8 round 357 Mag a decade or so ago.

The 327 Mag is the up and coming round in its niche. I would have shot for the moon and produced this in 327 Mag so you get the versatility of 32 Mag, 32 S&W Long, 32Auto and 32 S&W original (short). But that’s just me.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    10062 times
    The .327 Federal Magnum is rated for 45,000 psi, the H&R Magnum is only rated for 21,000 psi. Most modern .32 H&R Magnum revolvers can handle at least 25,000 psi which is a good middle ground for a Self Defense gun. The max power .327 Fed Mag is a flame belching, concussive bomb out of anything under 5". If you download to something with low recoil but still able to do the job, you get a large Extreme Spread (ES). The .32 H&R Mag, on the other hand will get consistent low ES and better accuracy, low flash and if you keep it subsonic, not that loud and no concussion inside a house/building/structure. Even in my 5.5" barrel Ruger Single Seven, I usually shoot .32 H&R Mag, just because I don't always like to shoot the fire breathing hyper sonic dragon.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    The only revolver I own is a S&W Model 686 (.357). Not a carry gun. This might be a good addition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25787 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    I usually shoot .32 H&R Mag, just because I don't always like to shoot the fire breathing hyper sonic dragon.
    Geezz!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2061 times
    Interesting. I don't find the 327 Fed to be a concussive, flame belching dragon at all. I haven't fired one at night, but I don't routinely practice night fire. The recoil is negligible in a 3 inch SP101. I'll buy the pressure argument, though, from a Charter, but I wouldn't pay 500 bucks for one.

Member #
    Liked
    10062 times
    Most commercial loads for the .327 Fed Mag are not SAMMI max pressure loads, but considerably lower.

Here is a load for a Ruger Single Seven 7.5" barrel. Load is from an article in Handloader magazine FEB 2015. 13.3 grains of Accurate #9, OAL of 1.455", pushing a 100 grain XTP to 1,551 fps. Probably won't get that much velocity out of your SP101, but something tells me it will provide spectacular fireworks at night.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18277 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    The .327 Federal Magnum is rated for 45,000 psi, the H&R Magnum is only rated for 21,000 psi. Most modern .32 H&R Magnum revolvers can handle at least 25,000 psi which is a good middle ground for a Self Defense gun. The max power .327 Fed Mag is a flame belching, concussive bomb out of anything under 5". If you download to something with low recoil but still able to do the job, you get a large Extreme Spread (ES). The .32 H&R Mag, on the other hand will get consistent low ES and better accuracy, low flash and if you keep it subsonic, not that loud and no concussion inside a house/building/structure. Even in my 5.5" barrel Ruger Single Seven, I usually shoot .32 H&R Mag, just because I don't always like to shoot the fire breathing hyper sonic dragon.
    Don’t disagree with the numbers. And, yep, there is a noticeable increase in recoil going from 32 Mag to 327 Mag - but not enough for me to ever buy a gun which EXCLUDES possibility of ever shooting a higher powered round, readily available on the market, with it. Like I said, it may be just me. I like as much diversity as I can get.
    MOONDAWG likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Don’t disagree with the numbers. And, yep, there is a noticeable increase in recoil going from 32 Mag to 327 Mag - but not enough for me to ever buy a gun which EXCLUDES possibility of ever shooting a higher powered round, readily available on the market, with it. Like I said, it may be just me. I like as much diversity as I can get.
    So you would never buy a 38 Special?

Member #
    Liked
    830 times
    Name:  SAM_1642.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  1.08 MB My wife sure likes her Charter Arms .32 mag revolver. Great range gun also using the .32 long ammo for practice.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    "She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun....said her telephone number was 911"

Member #
    Liked
    2061 times
    I try the variety or diversity thing, too. Most of my revolvers are 357, but I have a few 38's jus because. I have a very nice blued pre-lock Ladysmith in 38. In general, though, I'm the multi-barrel pistol guy. P227 in 40, 357 and 9mm, like that. If I get a bargain in 9mm, that's great, but my druthers is multi caliber.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links