Range Report: Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary Edition + Mossberg 590 Shockwave.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Range Report: Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary Edition + Mossberg 590 Shockwave.

Member #
    Liked
    2021 times

Range Report: Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary Edition + Mossberg 590 Shockwave.

Well fellas, the wait is over! I finally got out to the range to test out my new Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary Edition and my Mossberg 590 Shockwave!

I am happy to report that my Ruger LCP performed flawlessly. Granted that I only fired 50 rounds of Remington UMC 95gr FMJ and one magazine of Hornady American Gunner 90gr XTP, but for me that's enough to be confident in its ability to feed at least the two magazines I would be carrying on my person should the need to do so ever arise.
    I shoot it one-handed, two-handed, and even intentionally limp-wristed it, just to see if it would choke, but it fed every last round without issue.

The gun was a bit snappy, which comes as no surprise seeing as it's a 9oz gun firing .380 ACP, but it's not really uncomfortable to shoot. It will jump around in your hand if you don't grip it tightly, but it doesn't hurt. However, after shooting a full box of 50 rounds, I was no longer interested in shooting it because while it isn't painful to shoot, it's not really "fun" to shoot either.

I also finally got a chance to shoot my Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12 Gauge, but unfortunately I only got to shoot 5 rounds because. Unbeknownst to me prior to my arrival at the range, the range doesn't allow Birdshot, and I only brought 5 rounds of 00 Buck. So since I really didn't get a chance to thoroughly shoot it, I'm throwing it in as a bonus.
    As I had expected, the felt recoil was massively overrated. No, I'm not being a tough guy here, trying to front masculinity by bragging that the recoil was nothing, I'm merely saying the the mere 5 Olin Military Grade 00 Buck 2.5" shells which I fired didn't hurt me at all. What's More, I doubt that they'd hurt anyone of good health so long as they gripped the handle firmly. When folks say that the Raptor grip greatly reduces recoil compared to your typical pistol grip, it isn't just exaggeration for the sake of marketing, it's true.

The Mossberg Shockwave most certainly jerks backwards when fired, but so long as you shoot it from the hip or brace firmly with your arms, it won't punch you in the gut nor the face, nor is the recoil painful since it really isn't focused into your palm. So yes, I'm going to be bold and different here by saying that US Marshals who carried the original Wilson Combat Remington 870 Witness Protection models which served as the inspiration for the. Shockwave weren't crazy, nor do I feel the Shockwave is a novelty firearm with no defensive use.

Hopefully you've enjoyed this little range report because that's all I've got to say for the moment, but feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by Tuco_Ramírez; 05-29-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    4571 times
    Glad your LCP worked out for you. While I agree is a little snappy I actually enjoy shooting it. I'm thinking of trying a slip on grip to see if that helps any with mine.

Member #
    Liked
    2021 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mark38090 View Post
    Glad your LCP worked out for you. While I agree is a little snappy I actually enjoy shooting it. I'm thinking of trying a slip on grip to see if that helps any with mine.
    Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't even go so far as to say that it's unpleasant to shoot, it merely isn't "fun" to shoot, but then again, I have larger hands with long fingers, so it's sort of hard to grip it well and my trigger finger just doesn't sit naturally.

I think the best way to put it is that compared to the guns I own which I find fun to shoot like my Walther PPK/S .22 or Taurus Judge Magnum it isn't something that I would be particularly looking forward to shooting again.

That being said, for the role that it was designed to fill, the LCP is a fantastic performer which I am extremely satisfied with.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6069 times
    Thanks for the report.

Member #
    Liked
    18993 times
    Good stuff! I'm glad your new guns worked well. Shame you didn't get to run the Shockwave some more. Next time!

Member #
    Liked
    2021 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Good stuff! I'm glad your new guns worked well. Shame you didn't get to run the Shockwave some more. Next time!
    Yeah, it was actually really fun too. It's funny, I had always assumed that I would be recoil sensitive given how unpleasant I've always found the sensation of strong vibrations in my palms from various tools and equipment I've handled throughout my life, but on the contrary, I really enjoy a firearm with some oomph behind it. It's invigorating to shot something powerful, it really gets your blood flowing.

At first I was a little nervious about shooting the Shockwave, hence why I only bothered to bring so little Buckshot. I assumed that it would be manageable at best and that I really wouldn't want to shoot any more of it, so I only packed a single magazines worth of ammo so that I could gauge the recoil, but then I had nothing else to shoot sadly. I don't know why, but apparently the range has a rule against using Birdshot all of a sudden, which I'm certain it didn't have before since I had read the rules thoroughly and shot my Judge there a few times with Birdshot. It strikes me as especially strange considering that it's an outdoor range in a wooded area with big mounds of sand downrange.
    daytonaredeye likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18286 times
    Could it be a lead restriction? Not a shotgun literate guy but isn’t birdshot usually lead based? Lotta outdoors ranges now restrict lead due to their states (fortunately, mine don’t).

I’ve shot my shockwave in an indoor range and only buckshot and the recoil wasn’t near as bad as you might think. And since we’re charged $1 each for too high and roof shots you learn to keep it low and level.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    4571 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    Yeah, it was actually really fun too. It's funny, I had always assumed that I would be recoil sensitive given how unpleasant I've always found the sensation of strong vibrations in my palms from various tools and equipment I've handled throughout my life, but on the contrary, I really enjoy a firearm with some oomph behind it. It's invigorating to shot something powerful, it really gets your blood flowing.

At first I was a little nervious about shooting the Shockwave, hence why I only bothered to bring so little Buckshot. I assumed that it would be manageable at best and that I really wouldn't want to shoot any more of it, so I only packed a single magazines worth of ammo so that I could gauge the recoil, but then I had nothing else to shoot sadly. I don't know why, but apparently the range has a rule against using Birdshot all of a sudden, which I'm certain it didn't have before since I had read the rules thoroughly and shot my Judge there a few times with Birdshot. It strikes me as especially strange considering that it's an outdoor range in a wooded area with big mounds of sand downrange.
    The local range here that's operated by Fish and Game doesn't allow any shotguns.

Member #
    Liked
    2021 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Could it be a lead restriction? Not a shotgun literate guy but isn’t birdshot usually lead based? Lotta outdoors ranges now restrict lead due to their states (fortunately, mine don’t).

I’ve shot my shockwave in an indoor range and only buckshot and the recoil wasn’t near as bad as you might think. And since we’re charged $1 each for too high and roof shots you learn to keep it low and level.
    If there is a lead restriction, then it isn't mentioned directly in the range rules. They just have a rule against the use of birdshot as well as some really stupid magazine limitations. (You can't load more than 6 rounds into a magazine at a time, which makes absolutely no sense at all since my state doesn't impose any restrictions on magazine capacity.)

Member #
    Liked
    25799 times
    large magazines, stockless rifles, shotguns, generally equals = a lot of would be gang bangers shooting up the place with little knowledge or regard for safety or range equipment!
    everybody is not created equal, nor with the same common sense or gun ability.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links