New Colt in the stable - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: New Colt in the stable

Member #
    Liked
    31773 times
    I have a Detective Special very much like the one RedHorse just got, and I have a Cobra from the same era.

Name:  DSC07840.JPG
Views: 18
Size:  1.01 MB

The Cobra's cylinder and barrel have the best blued finish of anything I own. They've seen some hard use, but under the wear you can still see the beautiful work that was done when this revolver was new. It must have been fantastic. My Diamondback is like new, but it doesn't come close to the Cobra. It has an aluminum frame, and I have rubber grips on mine, so it's pretty weather resistant for a blued gun. But I don't believe aluminum of the same dimensions as a similar steel part is as strong, so I don't shoot anything but standard pressure loads in it. My Detective Specials is nicely blued, but it's not in the same league as the steel on that Cobra. But I believe it to be the stronger of the two. They both have essentially identical triggers. Very smooth DA stroke, not too heavy. The SA is light and wonderfully crisp. Very, very nice triggers.

These are revolvers that deserve their reputations. Excellent examples of a great American company showing the craftsmanship we all want to find in classic American products.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    2190 times
    Nice revolver, congrats!
    RedHorse likes this.
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    jwc007 (thank you) expressed my sentiments. I would just add nice pix.
    RedHorse and jwc007 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    856 times
    Yeah thanks to all for the comments and for the record I have been completely dissuaded from any thoughts of screwing with the finish on the gun. Said something about it to an old gun buddy of mine and he looked at me and asked "Are you drunk or did you just turn stupid?"
    I'll post a shot of it and the Cobra together when I get the wife's camera back.
    Here's a couple of old shots of the Cobra, I like the bigger grips and seeing how it's used more as a night stand gun rather than a carry piece size doesn't matter.

One more shot of the DS for comparison:
    Name:  100_1918.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  1.52 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by RedHorse; 05-26-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    GhostHorse, darbo and jwc007 like this.
    It is my personal belief that any religion that will let you have more than one mother-in-law at a time is not one you will be happy with.
    I also believe there are two career groups of people that you should avoid criminals and politicians.

Taurus Model 80 .38 Spl. 4"
    Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. 5.5"

Member #
    Liked
    21888 times
    Yea Yea yea, nice wheelie, but where's the range report (with even more pictures)?
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    31773 times
    Please say more things about the aftermarket grips on that Cobra. They look really nice!
    jwc007 likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    856 times
    On the grips I came across them on gunbroker quite awhile back, there was no brand information just a photo on the site and nothing in the package when they came told anything about them.
    It is my personal belief that any religion that will let you have more than one mother-in-law at a time is not one you will be happy with.
    I also believe there are two career groups of people that you should avoid criminals and politicians.

Taurus Model 80 .38 Spl. 4"
    Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. 5.5"

Member #
    Liked
    31773 times
    Now that Trucks is busy elsewhere, he wanted me to tell you that if you decide you don't want it, it belongs in Santa Fe, not further south. Nosiree. Only Santa Fe will do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links