High Standard MK III
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: High Standard MK III

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times

High Standard MK III

Basically it's a 44 year old Dan Wesson 15, wearing a High Standard roll stamp. DA/SA trigger, 6 shot .357 Magnum, 4'' barrel, checkered combat grips, pinned front ramp with an adjustable rear sight.

From the looks of it, this revolver had only been fired enough to lead up the chamber throats and dirty up the barrel. Stored away for most of its life, the gun metal showed no signs oil. The lock work was dry as a bone. Initial D/A trigger pull was around 13 lbs. It reminded me of an 1895 Mosin Nagant I once had. Lock up between the cylinder and frame is extremely tight. Remarkably it shows minimal handling marks and the blueing is still gorgeous.

Not yet acquiring a barrel nut wrench meant disassembly is near impossible, so I removed the stock and dunked it in an ultrasound bath. The cleaning solution remained fairly clear after a twenty minute bathing cycle.

Functionality was greatly improved. S/A trigger pull was at 3 lbs.-4 oz., D/A was at 9 lbs.- 13 oz., but it still had the lousiest D/A trigger pull ever. I needed to take a look inside and see what could be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    ShtnBlanks.22, oso, CJS3 and 10 others like this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    1099 times
    Nice gun. There was one on Armslist for sale in Dayton (OH) 2 or 3 months back.
    Lomax likes this.
    God wishes, the Devil expects.

Member #
    Liked
    30490 times
    Very nice! What an interesting revolver; Wesson/Hi Standard, with what I believe is called the pork chop barrel.

Congratulations! We look forward to a range report!
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times
    Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    Nice gun. There was one on Armslist for sale in Dayton (OH) 2 or 3 months back.
    I've got my eye on a nice Dan Wesson 15-2 w/ a 6'' barrel. Now I need to come up with some more funds.
    troutkiller and morrcarr67 like this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times
    I popped the side plate off a second time to lightly stone places where parts appeared to scratch on one another. I made an adjustment to the trigger overtravel set screw and after another clean & lube, D/A pull dropped to 7 lbs.-12 ozs, S/A dropped down to 2 lbs.- .04 ozs.

The cylinder ratcheting pawl rubs on the inside of the side plate enough to cause considerable drag. The pawl spring seems to be the culprit, needing to be rebent or replaced. I'll probably order a new spring set and try again.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Nice gun, nice report and nice pix. Thanks
    Lomax likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times
    I did more research and found the Dan Wesson forum to be quite helpful. https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum...ge-joe-method/

Pictures sure help a lot.

I'm guessing that a previous owner made an ill attempt to thoroughly clean his revolver, ruining the hand spring in the process. Next time he fired it the trigger got crunchy, so he storaged it for 40+ years.

I laid the frame over a pic showing a proper spring profile. In comparison, my hand spring is badly crunched. I tried to re-bending it into a proper shape. It'll work, but it's not acceptable.

Inside the side plate hand channel is a nasty 3/8'' scar/burr cut, most likely caused by an over stretched hook in the hand spring. This spring is designed to ride in a groove cut into the back of the hand. With this gun, mirrored scaring is visible on the back of hand where the hook missed its groove grinding itself into the side plate.

Second pic is the way everything should look. Until then I need to order a spring set.

Trigger pull now averages 7 lbs.-10 ozs. in D/A, 2 lbs.- 1 oz. in S/A.
    Last edited by Lomax; 05-29-2019 at 06:11 AM. Reason: content
    oso and daytonaredeye like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6069 times
    Good post, looking forward to a range report.
    Lomax likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1051 times
    Quote Originally Posted by garyh View Post
    Good post, looking forward to a range report.
    Might be awhile before I get back to the range...
    NativeTexan and jwc007 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    25799 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    Might be awhile before I get back to the range...
    A true Warrior would be out there in a boat practicing landing assaults and fire from a moving vessel!
    oso, morrcarr67 and Ickthus like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links