Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: High Standard MK III

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30441 times
    Well, the couple of times our road washed out (last time was hurricane Harvey) and I got stuck here, I could still shoot.

Nice find! Love the bluing on that piece!
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    1052 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    A true Warrior would be out there in a boat practicing landing assaults and fire from a moving vessel!
    My Gator Freighter days riding in the Sal-boat are way behind me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    troutkiller likes this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    1456 times
    I had a DW 744VH-Hunter. I sold it when I decided that I wasn't going to be hunting anymore. I don't miss shooting .44Mag but I do miss that gun. Right now though I'm keeping my eyes open for a 15-2 Pistol-Pak.

Nice find on a very nice revolver.
    Lomax likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1052 times
    Quote Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
    I had a DW 744VH-Hunter. I sold it when I decided that I wasn't going to be hunting anymore. I don't miss shooting .44Mag but I do miss that gun. Right now though I'm keeping my eyes open for a 15-2 Pistol-Pak.

Nice find on a very nice revolver.
    This MK III has the tightest mechanical lockup I've seen in a revolver, and its design concepts were way ahead of the pack.

The pin wrench nut doesn't do much to protect the muzzle though, and not covering the face of the shroud looks like it'd become a debris magnet. I'd like to find a 12 point socket barrel nut instead.
    Last edited by Lomax; 05-31-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added pic
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1465 times
    I like your skills Lomax, if you really want a challenge with tuning a revolver pick up a cheap H & R I have one apart right now. There is no side plate to remove to see what is going on. You have to remove a couple of pins and pull the whole assembly down and out of the frame.
    Lomax likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1052 times
    Been thinking about reloading for this beast. With the throats cleaned, only .357" dia. bullets will pass through the cylinder without effort. Very few of the .357" jacketed bullets I had on the shelf would pass through the cylinder, so I ran them past my .357'' sizer to true them up. Next in line was to slug the barrel for the groove diameter. Instead of actually pounding a lead slug down the bore, Cerrosafe chamber casting was utilized.

Cerrosafe 160-190 Chamber Casting Alloy 1/2 lb. ingot

Some disassembly required.

Member #
    Liked
    1052 times
    Cerrosafe melts to liquid at about 160 degrees. Making sure the barrel was clean, a patch loaded with petroleum jelly was ran down the bore to keep a slick barrier between the steel bore and melted Cerrosafe. I then plugged the barrel an inch or so behind the bore. Again, using the same greasy patch, only this time it was backed up by a nasty looking foam ear plug to seal the bore. Once the pour is made, I waited for the melted metal in the ladle to solidify before popping out the cast. Groove diameter was .357'' on the nut.
    oso likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18368 times
    Damn, Lomax, for a grumpy, curmudgeonly lookin’ old fella you are good with yer smithing skills!

Gotta ask, what fortune was foretold in the fortune cookie on yer work counter?

Seriously, we could use a whole lot more threads like the one you’ve produced here.
    Lomax likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    1052 times
    Cerrosafe shrinks during the first 30 minutes of cooling and then at the end of an hour, is EXACTLY chamber size. At the end of 200 hours it will have expanded approximately .0025.

When I made the original cast three days ago, the groove diameter had sized out as .357". That same cast now reads in at .359".

With the new trigger spring installed and gun apart, I slugged the barrel with .358'' HBWC bullets. Having a revolver with a removable barrel made this task simple.

Both greased slugs came out with .357" groove diameters.

daytonaredeye likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Damn, Lomax, for a grumpy, curmudgeonly lookin’ old fella you are good with yer smithing skills!

Gotta ask, what fortune was foretold in the fortune cookie on yer work counter?

Seriously, we could use a whole lot more threads like the one you’ve produced here.
    Yeah, but apparently he's a crack addict. I assume that's what all that was.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links