Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: RANGE REPORT: GSG Firefly Standard Velocity .22 LR

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times

RANGE REPORT: GSG Firefly Standard Velocity .22 LR

Hello Friends…

This is my Range Report on the GSG Firefly Standard Velocity .22 LR using the light recoil spring that comes with the firearm. Please search and read my first Range Report using High Velocity .22LR ammo which this firearm is more designed for per GSG’s manual:

RANGE REPORT: GSG Firefly High Velocity .22 LR
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/o...ity-22-lr.html

We were close to 15 yards out this time, and to note I am still training in regards to after my wrist injury and surgery, even though I have a partial disability, I can still shoot .22LR "twoo handed". And also to note.. it is “HOT” out today.. even in the indoor range (the HVAC was struggling).. so I did not shoot as many rounds as I wanted.. but I was able to shoot the following:

Aguila Standard Velocity Match, lead round nose, they are “not” eley primers like there high velocity, they have on the boxes that they are “Agulia Prime” so their own primers I take it.

Geco Standard Velocity, German import that suppose to cycle well as the lead noses are "smoothed" more during manufacturing. Standard Velocity also.

Federal Target Standard Velocity, lead round nose (the bulk stuff, white box 500 quantity).

I did have another target other than this one that I was just firing at to see if I had any issues, I did.

I had “one” of the rounds of Federal that was a stove pipe. And I had one round of the Geco that was another stove pipe. That was about from the 40 rounds I shot, respectively from both first. Possibly under powered rounds? Maybe.. but to note.. “no” fail to feed (FTF) at all.. so that’s good.

I shot about 100 rounds of the Aguila Standard Velocity Match, which “is” a tiny bit more expensive than the bulk ammo. No issues at all! Also, if we look at the “green” circle on the target picture which is the 2nd target that I shot at 15 yards.. not too shabby especially again.. with the wrist injury that I have... the only thing I can do is try to strengthen the wrist no matter of the lack of mobility.. that is working (Thank God.. Thank You).

The Federal is in the red and I was holding in that spot. Other than the stove pipe prior target, I had no further issues.

The Geco in blue and the last four that I had in orange did well after again.. the one stove pipe that I had prior.

So, conclusion with the standard velocity, if you want to target shoot using this gun using the bulk stuff.. that’s ok.. but know you may run across a stove pipe. As least from my experience, with “this gun” that I own. Or buy the more expensive “match” rounds, if not the Agulia Standard Velocity, maybe other brands that have Eley primers.. I have found Standard Velocity ammo with those primers do really well. OR use the heavy longer spring and use High Velocity rounds.

One thing I “did not” see, is the fail to feed (FTF) like other “YouTube” channels show.. this may be because of the feed ramp in “some” GSG Firefly’s out there.. ....but I really think "still" it is because those YouTube reviews did not use the “light” spring that comes with the gun. ALSO I did get another magazine from GunMagWarehouse (no affiliation) there was a few guys that said they were good to buy from, I agree! Fast shipping.. like "Three Days" and on sale.

Thank You again, for reading my Range Report.

Name:  GSG Firefly Stanard Velocity.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  207.1 KB
    Last edited by HappyTom; 05-25-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Member #
    Liked
    31545 times
    Thanks for the standard velocity report. Question applicable to both; are you shifting your point of aim to produce the different clusters from the different ammo? I'm assuming so, but can you tell us for certain?
    HappyTom likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Thanks for the standard velocity report. Question applicable to both; are you shifting your point of aim to produce the different clusters from the different ammo? I'm assuming so, but can you tell us for certain?
    Yes, I am moving my point of aim to different areas of the target when shooting the different brands of standard velocity ammo. The brand is noted by the colored circles.
    Also, again... I am "not" that accurate as I am still overcoming the limitations in regards to my wrist. Based off of the gun that I have in front of me here.. I think it's a great gun for the price. High Velocity, is the way to go for a defensive round, and also I have "not" tested any higher end jacketed/plated hollow points, in high velocity.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    RYRYRYRY

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11122 times
    Thank you for the great GSG report. Keep working it and those groups will shrink.
    HappyTom likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    Thank you for the great GSG report. Keep working it and those groups will shrink.
    Thanks, will do :-)
    RYRYRYRY

Member #
    Liked
    24685 times
    Thanks for the report.

I have thought about getting one of these and this just makes me want to all the more.
    HappyTom likes this.

MOLON LABE
    "We the people, are the rightful masters of both the Congress, and the Courts. Not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who have perverted it." ~Abraham Lincoln

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    Thanks for the report.

I have thought about getting one of these and this just makes me want to all the more.
    There is four things to keep in mind:
    1) People complain about the "feed ramp", which can be smoothed out fluff & buff, I have not needed to do that on mine. No issues on that. It "may be" that they have the wrong recoil spring installed, and they are shooting the wrong ammo (standard vs high velocity).

2) Some people have reported that rounds stop feeding in the magazine, and they need to rack the slide again to keep on going, depending on ammo. The "only" rounds that I had issues with, as noted in my first Range Report, was that Imported Sellier & Bellot High Velocity Hollow Points, they had strange lead noses, and a bit longer. But none of the other ammo have I seen that yet, either standard or high velocity.

3) Some reviewers start to complain when shooting bulk ammo and then they start getting issues because of carbon fouling at the 400 to 500 round mark in one shooting session.. well I've seen that in other guns. I think when you use cheaper ammo, it tends to be a bit on the dirty side.

4) I'm glad that my gun is working as well as it is, and I can only report on how my gun is out on the range. Judging from what is in the manufacturers manual, that the gun was designed for High Velocity rounds, that is still the way to go for self defense purposes. Or use the lighter spring, and try buy good standard velocity match rounds with eley primers, but sometimes those are priced higher.
    RScottie likes this.
    RYRYRYRY

Member #
    Liked
    1455 times
    Thanks for the report, HT. I will have to ask my friend about the lighter spring for his.

Glad you're able to shoot , and hope things get better with practice and use - - they usually do, at least on your side of ninety.

Flash
    HappyTom likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    Thanks for the report, HT. I will have to ask my friend about the lighter spring for his.

Glad you're able to shoot , and hope things get better with practice and use - - they usually do, at least on your side of ninety.

Flash
    Thanks... I have no issues physically shooting this gun... all in all a great purchase. Eventually, I'll but a Ruger or a S&W .22LR pistol down the road... but so far the GSG ok in my book.
    RYRYRYRY

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Good report,glad the gsg is working for you.I have the gsg 522,my buddy has the ak gsg both are very accurate and reliable and fun to shoot.Keep it clean and it should eat any ammo with no issues,good luck with your gsg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links