• 1 Post By olfarhors
  • 2 Post By daytonaredeye
  • 1 Post By maloy
  • 1 Post By olfarhors
  • 1 Post By vboy36
  • 1 Post By olfarhors
  • 1 Post By jwc007
  • 1 Post By vboy36

Thread: Barrel twist rate in a SW 9mm Shield?

Member #
    Liked
    443 times

Barrel twist rate in a SW 9mm Shield?

I read somewhere that the new SW 9mm Shield 2.0 had a barrel twist rate that was more suited for a 147gr bullet ( I have no idea why that has an effect). I have the first version of the SW 9mm Shield and was wondering if any knew the barrel twist rate of that gun and is it different than the 2.0 9mm shield.

Thank you!
    Last edited by vboy36; 05-21-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2580 times
    Industry standard is slightly less than 1:10 for 9mm. It was originally a metric spec, but so close to 10" that it is close enough.

1:16 for target or shooting lead for 9mm, but is only found in aftermarket barrels.

I doubt S&W has done anything out of the norm and using the 1:10 which their full size models are.

Maloy
    vboy36 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25898 times
    I guess my big question is
    Can you shoot well enough to tell the accuracy difference of 115-124-147 grain projectile if there is any real difference?
    IF not what does it really matter.
    I have found in my case with my weapons at self defense ranges of let say out to 15 yards there is very, very little if any difference in poi with various weights of projectiles or power of said ammo within reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    vboy36 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18406 times
    I pretty much agree with what’s been said above.

Not to say that twist rate doesn’t have a role in shooting. Just not in the common handgun calibers and cartridges.

Rifles, with much higher velocities, but similar bullet weights, it can play a huge role. Ever heard of the Remington .244? Came out just before Winchester introduced the .243 . . . . the .244 failed because they introduced it with too fast of a twist rate which threw accuracy out the window. But Remington resurrected the .244 under the moniker of the 7mm with an appropriately adjusted twist rate.

If twist rates made such a huge difference in accuracy I can imagine the mental gymnastics which would insure insanity in the handloaders

As an aside, my aftermarket barrels (Storm Lake, et al) typically run at slower twist rates (>1:12) and are left handed (counterclockwise) at that.
    olfarhors and vboy36 like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2580 times
    I've a G19 with a Lone Wolf 1:16 twist. It is very accurate with lead and any jacketed ammo I've used. So there is a possibility that 1:10 is too fast. If I remember right, the new Mossberg pistol is 1:16.

Twist rate also affects velocity. A faster twist creates more friction than a slow twist. So maybe the 1:10 is better for 147gr and heavier, but I've not seen it personally. I've a 1:16 on my carbine, and it makes impractical 200 yard shots.

Maloy
    vboy36 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25898 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post

As an aside, my aftermarket barrels (Storm Lake, et al) typically run at slower twist rates (>1:12) and are left handed (counterclockwise) at that.
    SOOOO!
    you shoot high and right instead of low and left then?---------
    vboy36 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    443 times
    Ok, all way over my head, I flunked physics, actually hate physics. So, regarding hand guns, the twist rate has more of an effect on accuracy than anything?
    So, if I would rather shoot a 147gr bullet out of the Shield or the M&P compact, all I need to worry about is how accurate a 147gr is compared to a 124gr.

Thanks, All!
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25898 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vboy36 View Post
    Ok, all way over my head, I flunked physics, actually hate physics. So, regarding hand guns, the twist rate has more of an effect on accuracy than anything?
    So, if I would rather shoot a 147gr bullet out of the Shield or the M&P compact, all I need to worry about is how accurate a 147gr is compared to a 124gr.

Thanks, All!
    mostly about stabilization of the projectile.
    weight and length of the projectile really is what determines what shoots best basically.
    as mentioned here, in a rifle then yea I would be concerned about trying to match the twist perfectly to the projectile weight, maybe in a target only design pistol as well.
    for self defense function first, accuracy second is the concern.
    here is a new AR Pistola that I got and have been playing with as a home defense weapon it has a 1-8 twist, it has a 7,5 inch barrel in 30 caliber.
    these are 3 different powder charges and 3 different projectiles, do you think I am really concerned as far as accuracy with either?
    nope not at house defense distance.
    just saying some things aren't worth worrying over.
    Physics is where you go out in a gym and do exercises, play ball, climb ropes --etc!
    I speak from experience as I had physics during third period in school!
    not really that hard to understand!
    vboy36 likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    19522 times
    It should be noted that the curent S&W Catalog lists the M&P 2.0 barrel twist rates at 1:10 for 9mm and .40 S&W Pistols and 1:15 for .45 ACP Pistols.
    It does not specifically list the Barrel Twist Rate for the Shield Pistols, but I expect that the Barrel Twist Rate for the Shields would not change.

The 1:10 barrel twist rate has been pretty much standard for most modern production 9mm Pistols and should stabilize most any standard 9mm Bullet weight.
    Aftermarket barrels will vary.

Most of the Match Ammunition I shoot uses the 124 grain Bullet weight. For Match use, I have played with the 147 grain Bullets, but I found that not all of my 9mm Pistols shoot them well.

My Carry Ammunition varies between 124 and 135 grains. My more mid-size carry Pistols get the 124 grain Bullets and my smaller carry 9mm Pistols get the 135 grain Bullets.
    In my own ballistic testing, I've determined that the 135 grain Bullets yield a bit more energy from Compact handguns than the 147 grainers do.

YMMV
    vboy36 likes this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    443 times
    Thanks and as pointed out by jwc and others, I did hear back from S&W customer as to the twist on the Shield 9 and 40 original and 2.0 and the M&P 9 and 40 compact both the original and the 2.0 and they are all 1:10 twist.

Thanks again!
    daytonaredeye likes this.

Sponsored Links