RANGE REPORT: GSG Firefly High Velocity .22 LR
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: RANGE REPORT: GSG Firefly High Velocity .22 LR

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times

RANGE REPORT: GSG Firefly High Velocity .22 LR

This is my Range Report, of the GSG Firefly. This model is the “sport” model and does “not have” the threaded barrel. As some of you know, I bought this as I can not handle larger calibers two handed after my wrist surgery and now partial disability.
    I am still considering buying another automatic or revolver in the future, but I wanted to have something almost full size to keep going in .22LR.
    Name:  firefly.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  151.7 KB

This gun is identical to the older made Sig Sauer Mosquito, and from what I understand GSG (German Sport Guns) originally made the Sig Sauer Mosquito, for Sig Sauer then afterwards when Sig Sauer did not want that brand and model anymore, they agreed that GSG could re-brand it and sell it outright.

And as we see in the picture, it is called the “Firefly”. This gun, is currently imported into the U.S.A. by Advanced Tactical Import company based
    out of Summerville, S.C. which is about an hour and ½ away from my location.
    They also fix the guns on site, and I’ve actually called and talked to them on the phone.... good customer facing.

This gun is sa bit smaller, but has similar controls as a Sig Sauer p226 (9mm) that the Navy Seals still use from what I understand. The GSG Firefly is a Single Action / Double Action pistol (S.A. / D.A), it does have an exposed hammer. When you rack the slide, the gun is in S.A. mode and the hammer cocks back on every shot, trigger weight is around 5 or 6 pounds give or take. If you rack the slide and press the de-cocker lever on the side of the gun, the hammer goes down (de-cocks, and I believe there is a safety transfer bar / block inside) And then you can fire the gun in D.A. mode one time and then the gun goes back to S.A. mode until you press the de-cocker lever again. The weight of the trigger in D.A. mode “IS” heavy, close to 12 lbs.. ya.. really.. but even that.. I can still manage it.

As you can see above, I researched the heck of of this gun. I found “ONE” incorrect thing in the many bad video reviews on YouTube (even on one of those "tactical experts" who bad mouths the gun). The gun comes pre-installed with a heavy guide rod spring for High Velocity .22LR ammo. There is also, a light guide rod spring for Standard Velocity .22LR ammo in the case under the foam, in a plastic ziploc bag.

So a lot of these reviewers skip reading the manual, try shooting bulk Standard Velocity ammo right off the bat and the ammo does not have enough power to proper cycle the rounds and they get jam after jam.. and they say in there videos that this gun is “terrible”. Now, it’s also possible that the feed ramp needs some “fluff and buff” on some guns but mine is 100% polished and awesome, and the majority of the videos that I have seen, it’s more points to the wrong guide rod spring installed and the wrong ammo being used. I did find a lot of video reviews, that even stated that the gun was not cleaned and oiled after purchase and then after 500+ rounds the video reviewer starts complaining about the gun even though the gun starts to fail with no cleaning and lubing of the firearm from the start, and from a lot of carbon fouling.. really weird video reviews out there…. But I did find, two videos that both reviewers mentioned the two guide rod springs and they had no issues at all with this gun when shooting it for the video review.

I shot today, over 200+ rounds, all high velocity (I’ll shoot the standard velocity .22LR ammo with the lighter recoil rod spring next time).

No jams! No Fail to Feeds and no Fails to Fire.. not even a light primmer strike. I did had ONE issue, but that was the ammo (more below on that).
    The gun was flawless, a really awesome pistol that fit great in my hands and my bad wrist/hand had no problems holding it and shooting it.. although please note that I am still trying to build strength in that hand… so I’m not no where 100% as accurate still because of that.

I fired the following ammo at 10 yards circle on the target (note this is the 2nd target, the first one I was just fire ammo as fast as I could in regards to the first 100+ rounds, just to break her in).
    Again, this is all High Velocity .22LR:

Aguila Super Extra with the jacketed/plated round nose (looks like CCI Mini Mags). Cirlced in orange,

Remington Thunderbolts and they have a lead round nose bullet, not jacketed/plated. Circled in green

Selmer & Bellot, and they are hollow points and have a lead round nose bullet, not jacketed/plated. Circled in Yellow, and yes.. only three as they hang up in the magazine, that is the "only" issue I had, they feed just fine
    after racking to slide and putting the first round into battery, but then they hang uo in the mag'. I'm almost certain that it is the weird shaped lead nose that is the issue, not the magazine itself.
    Not a deal breaker, and I may try to test out some CCI Stingers, next time which are jacketed/plated.

Name:  GSG Firefly.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  114.8 KB

Some final things-

The Good:
    Judging from the way the gun cycles a REALLY GREAT buy! I can deal with the cheap imported HV hollow points getting hung up in the mag', but those Aquila and Remington Thunderbolts, no issues.. all of those I just fired them right down range.
    Some one on YouTube said that GSG fixed the issues with the first generation of this pistol the Sig Mosquito when they made it for Sig Sauer, and I believe that.
    Nothing is getting "hung up" on the feed ramp, and the over all function of the slide... and feeding is like "glass smooth".
    The gun again runs in normal ops in Single Action mode, and the trigger to me, even with my injury.. is light.. I have NO issue with that.
    The gun also comes pre-installed with a medium height front sight (it is a three dot system) and there is a low profile sight and also a high profile sight in the case.
    Also, speaking of the case, it's a nice one so you just need to buy an external case lock for it.. so that is kind of nice.
    I think it is a plus, that the gun is also "not" light.. it's not wicked heavy, but there is "some weight" to the slide and I like the feel as it is a "solid" gun.
    Oh, and the Recoil Rod is METAL not polymer.

The Bad:

Only comes with one Mag' as of today, they are priced around $25.00 per mag give or take. I need to buy another one.
    The Mag holds 10 rounds, however a 3rd party company makes a follower that you can install in the mag, which then allow you to put in 4 more rounds.
    The handle of the gun IS comfortable, but not textured enough for me so I'll be also buying a Pachmayr grip for it.

Other things to think about after buying and shooting this gun:

Anything that is compatible with the Sig Sauer Mosquito, even mags' will work with this gun, and there seems to be some 3rd party products for it.

Before buying anything, I research the item that I am going to buy, for a few weeks. It drives me NUTS when I see this so call "tactical experts" giving bad reviews on this gun, but I not going to post names as I have better ethics and integrity,
    So take those videos with a grain of salt, especially the actual "skillsets" of some of those "high" member/subscriber channels... seems like a lot of "Hero" worshiping.. really sad to say that.

I still need to change the recoil spring to the lighter one that comes with the gun, and test out Standard Velocity. I do have some Federal Bulk ammo and also some Aguila Match Standard Velocity and also some German imported Geco .22LR that have smooth lead noses for better cycling in auto's. And I'll post another Range Report in regards to that all of that soon.
    Last edited by HappyTom; 05-18-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Member #
    Liked
    2741 times
    I have a couple of S&W MP .22 with the 12 round mags. They are a blast to shoot. Every so often I like something with no recoil. I shattered my right wrist in 76 from motorcycle accident. Glad you found a .22 you like.
    HappyTom likes this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdog1 View Post
    I have a couple of S&W MP .22 with the 12 round mags. They are a blast to shoot. Every so often I like something with no recoil. I shattered my right wrist in 76 from motorcycle accident. Glad you found a .22 you like.
    Thanks for your comment. I acutally am thinking of getting a S&W .22LR compact at some point. This one, was more to see to myself if I wanted to go more of a more expensive revolver or auto, and also to keep practicing with a full sized hand gun. Even though time will tell, it seem that I'm not gong to be able to fire anything two handed other than .22LR and also .22 WMR / MAG.. so this gun for the time being, is a great choice. I not only use firearms for target shooting but also in regards to a defensive capacity because of my past and current lines of work (which I won't get into). From my first experience, this gun is "great". Way happy with it. :-)
    RYRYRYRY

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    579 times
    Check out Gunmagwarehouse.com for magazines. I just got some for my GSG 1911 22lr. They had mags for mine at 16.99 each. ATI wanted 25.99.
    I'm not affiliated with them, just got a good deal.

Also, thanks for the review. I've been eyeballing that gun for some time.
    Last edited by Car_Doc; 05-18-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    HappyTom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_Doc View Post
    Check out Gunmagwarehouse.com for magazines. I just got some for my GSG 1911 22lr. They had mags for mine at 16.99 each. ATI wanted 25.99.
    I'm not affiliated with them, just got a good deal.

Also, thanks for the review. I've been eyeballing that gun for some time.
    Thank You! I really appreciate that. At some point, I am buying a new mag and also maybe a new holster.
    RYRYRYRY

Member #
    Liked
    579 times
    I just checked and they have them for the firefly for 19.99.
    HappyTom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    900 times
    I went to Rural King to buy a Firefly but they were out of stock when I got there. I came home, did more research and bought the GSG 1911-22. It has the look, feel and size with a similar weight to a "real" 1911. I ordered extra mags from Gun Mag Warehouse that are identical to the OEM. It has been totally reliable and I am very pleased with it.
    HappyTom and GhostHorse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_Doc View Post
    I just checked and they have them for the firefly for 19.99.
    Thanks, and you know the funny thing is I actually bookmarked that site "last night".... I went there and I was like "ph ya.." but Thank You for post about that place it's good to know they are a great legit site.
    RYRYRYRY

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I went to Rural King to buy a Firefly but they were out of stock when I got there. I came home, did more research and bought the GSG 1911-22. It has the look, feel and size with a similar weight to a "real" 1911. I ordered extra mags from Gun Mag Warehouse that are identical to the OEM. It has been totally reliable and I am very pleased with it.
    I heard a lot of good things about the GSG 1911 as well, but I wanted the firefly as it was "slightly" smaller, almost like a S&W M&P compact or SR22 Ruger.
    RYRYRYRY

Member #
    Liked
    19686 times
    Great range report! Glad you are enjoying your new pistol.
    HappyTom likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links