RANGE REPORT: GSG Firefly High Velocity .22 LR - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: RANGE REPORT: GSG Firefly High Velocity .22 LR

Member #
    Liked
    5866 times
    Just a note... Sig purchased GSG about 3 or 4 years ago so GSG firearms are now owned and produced by Sig.

Don
    HappyTom likes this.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    HT

Thanks, that's a nice writeup.

A friend of mine bought one of these last fall, and we have had it to the range a dozen or so times. It still has a TOUGH! trigger. did you run across any way to get the thing under a ton-and-a-half trigger pull? We both find it to be quite accurate and fun to shoot and all that, but the trigger! There has to be some way to get it down to manageable weight. The pull seems kind of long, even after the minimum take-up. It is predictable, and breaks pretty decently, but like you said, 12# is not far off. I've got to find my trigger-scale sometime and test it for sure.

His has the threaded muzzle, but neither of us would feel pressured to buy a suppressor for that little thing. It does seem to be well thought out and well built, and for that price - well !

Glad you are having some sort of success with shooting, with the wrist and all.

Flash

His does really well with Rem Thunderbolt, and Aguila, but does not at all like Federal bulk-pack.
    HappyTom likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    1301 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    Just a note... Sig purchased GSG about 3 or 4 years ago so GSG firearms are now owned and produced by Sig.

Don
    I did not know that, I heard that Sig contracted them to make the Mosquito, then when Sig was done with that brand they agreed that GSG could still make it under thier company. Maybe that will give me an excuse to call and talk to Sig in general :-)
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1301 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    HT

Thanks, that's a nice writeup.

A friend of mine bought one of these last fall, and we have had it to the range a dozen or so times. It still has a TOUGH! trigger. did you run across any way to get the thing under a ton-and-a-half trigger pull? We both find it to be quite accurate and fun to shoot and all that, but the trigger! There has to be some way to get it down to manageable weight. The pull seems kind of long, even after the minimum take-up. It is predictable, and breaks pretty decently, but like you said, 12# is not far off. I've got to find my trigger-scale sometime and test it for sure.

His has the threaded muzzle, but neither of us would feel pressured to buy a suppressor for that little thing. It does seem to be well thought out and well built, and for that price - well !

Glad you are having some sort of success with shooting, with the wrist and all.

Flash

His does really well with Rem Thunderbolt, and Aguila, but does not at all like Federal bulk-pack.
    Flash - The trigger on mine in Single Action mode is light.. really say about 5'ish maybe 6 pounds? It fires with the hammer cocked back with every shot until you click the "decocker" lever on the one side of the gun, and that puts the gun into Double Action mode for "one time", until pressing the decocker level again. And, oh ya.. about 12 pounds for Double Action.. but if that.. with my wrist I can still fire it.

Thunderbolt, and Aguila Suoer Extra which is the High Velocity ammo that I was shooting was all good, everyne one of them. The Federal White box "Stanard Velocity" ammo is what I am going to test next along with Aguila Standard Velocity match ammo and also Geco Standard Velocity ammo after changing the recoil rod spring to the shorter light one that came in the case. I read from more than one person that in regards to Standard Velocity ammo, the Aguila and Geco works, but not the Federal White box.. we'll see how all three does in the test.
    RYRYRYRY

Member #
    Liked
    8519 times
    I have gotten to where the only 22lr ammo I buy is CCI mini mags, blasers and CCI SV
    avatar is VA-34 Blue Blasters squadron insignia one of the many I wore from 1977-1998

Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post

Don
    Where did you get that information? I can't seem to find it.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    You mentioned looking for another .22 gun. Here is some of my experience.

We have such a wonderful number of .22LR guns to choose from, these days. Everybody has found one that works well for them, and tend to huddle around it, overlooking any shortcomings. I like the way you went through both, with the Firefly.

I wanted to buy a “Mosquito” when they first came out because I was using almost exclusively Sigs, for a while, and was, myself, blind to any “falsely claimed” shortcomings. Of course, no gun is perfect, but we adapt ourselves to them just as we adapt ourselves to just about everything else in our lives.

A colleague got a Mosquito and immediately called it a piece of junk. He, like me, was a user almost exclusively of Sigs at the time, so I was surprised he would say that. Then, I shot it. I hated the way it felt; small, cheap. It was, as my colleague said, a jam-a-matic. I did not buy one.

I did buy a Sig Hammerli Trailside upon the recommendation of anther colleague. It is totally reliable with standard or high-velocity ammo, and can knock a hovering locust out of the air at 20 feet – I did just that, but acknowledge it was WAAAY more luck than skill, or even inherent accuracy.

Sig parted ways with them, as they did with the Mosquito. That means finding service for them is difficult. Numrich Gun Parts lists magazines and parts. Last I checked online, Larry’s Guns in Maine services them. I have had no problems and have fired at least 5,000 rounds through it.

Note: I have talked to other owners who say theirs don’t shoot some standard-velocity ammo reliably. It was designed, I’m told, for competition, despite its name. That may mean it does best with match ammo, something I never buy.

I like its size and weight. It feels well-balanced in my hands.

The baddest news: you’ll probably have a hard time finding one. It seems owners tend to hang on to them. *I* certainly am!

A surprise to me is the Beretta Neos. I bought one for only one reason: I wanted SOMETHING designed by Giugiaro of Italy. Since I can’t afford the exotic cars, jewelry, clothing, or buildings (or more expensive Berettas) his studio designs, the Neos fit my budget.

It looks odd and it feels odd in my hand. But the longer barrel and, therefore, sight radius, combined with its inherent accuracy, make it a tack driver. If it doesn’t shoot as well as the Trailside, that may be primarily due to *my* limitations, though Beretta describes it specifically as for plinking. It has a removable rail on top that allows adding an optical sight. I bought the six-inch barrel for it, too, and after installing it have not taken it off. I like it.

Since it isn’t an orphan, getting service for it is easy. I have ~1,500 rounds through it, all H-V, without a failure.

Summary: looks odd (designer odd that is!), feels odd, shoots great. Also inexpensive.

I speak of this next one with reservations: The Walther P22. I got both barrels for it and both have the same problem: they work loose. I suggest using the breakable-RTV for it. Accuracy with either barrel is not up to the Beretta or the Trailside. It is also very fussy about ammo, and I haven’t found any brand, velocity or bullet weight that is always reliable. Fails to feed, failures to fire, failures to extract.

BUT, it is the coolest-looking of the three. Recent models have a rail for a light or laser, and I think a laser might be cool. A fun plinker. I suspect Walther has addressed the problems found in the earlier ones, so they are likely more accurate and reliable, now.

Member #
    Liked
    31147 times
    Great review, HappyTom! You're right about overrated youtube "experts." They are out there. And not just on the topic of guns.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1301 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Great review, HappyTom! You're right about overrated youtube "experts." They are out there. And not just on the topic of guns.
    Thanks... and I totally understand that "some" of those guys on YouTube get paid "a lot" of money in regards to reviews of products. "Some" of them, actually will do the "bait and switch"... they'll review one gun, mis-represent that gun... just put another wicked "high priced" one higher up.. even though that "high priced" gun is not even what the review is about! LOL.. kind of shady for certain.

Today, I'll be posting about GSG Firefly using Standard Velocity ammo. I just came back from the range.. wicked HOT out there! Even in the indoor range itself.
    RYRYRYRY

Member #
    Liked
    8519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyTom View Post
    Thanks... and I totally understand that "some" of those guys on YouTube get paid "a lot" of money in regards to reviews of products. "Some" of them, actually will do the "bait and switch"... they'll review one gun, mis-represent that gun... just put another wicked "high priced" one higher up.. even though that "high priced" gun is not even what the review is about! LOL.. kind of shady for certain.

Today, I'll be posting about GSG Firefly using Standard Velocity ammo. I just came back from the range.. wicked HOT out there! Even in the indoor range itself.
    By the way were in SC are you I grew up down there In Reevesville SC
    avatar is VA-34 Blue Blasters squadron insignia one of the many I wore from 1977-1998

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links