Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Observation of a first-time Glock owner/shooter

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19600 times

Observation of a first-time Glock owner/shooter

I used to be happy and content with the firearm selection in my safe. After years of buying, trading, shooting, and selling, I thought I'd reached the point where I had what I both wanted, and needed. Okay, I thought, I'm set.

Then, Saturday before last, I made my usual drive to my favorite Local Gun Store to partake of coffee (gotta bring your own cup now, the owner stopped buying Styrofoam cups), donuts (I like the cinnamon roll, but there's only one per box-of-dozen mixed), and conversation (same as conversation threads here at TA, runs the gamut from A to Z, but without the moderators and admins keeping it under PG-13). I foolishly looked inside the used gun display cabinet (it's okay for me to look at the new gun displays, 'cause I can't afford 'em), when a pistol caught my eye. https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/o...t-respond.html

Always in the past, when I'd hold a Glock in my hand, I would notice the different grip angle when I assumed a firing stance. Yeah, the Glock naysayers have a point, I'd think. It IS different. But, yesterday, when I fired 50 rounds through it, I discovered something: When I shoot one, that grip angle doesn't matter, not one little bit - it works. I had no trouble at all, lining up the sights and hitting what I was aiming at. Shooting one suddenly became very natural.

You don't suppose that Herr Gaston Glock might have known what he was doing, do you?

Anyway, that's what's on my mind after shooting one for the first time. JMHO, YMMV.
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; 05-01-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33292 times
    I shot several before I bought my first. I didn't notice the grip shape making any difference then. I have no problems with my Glock, as I can hit what I aim at. I never really wanted one before, but the cleanness of the styling without all the extra slide serrations and futuristic designs we see today, I paid more notice. Now, I'm hooked.
    Yissnakk, jwc007, Panda and 3 others like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    I used to be happy and content with the firearm selection in my safe. After years of buying, trading, shooting, and selling, I thought I'd reached the point where I had what I both wanted, and needed. Okay, I thought, I'm set.

Then, Saturday before last, I made my usual drive to my favorite Local Gun Store to partake of coffee (gotta bring your own cup now, the owner stopped buying Styrofoam cups), donuts (I like the cinnamon roll, but there's only one per box-of-dozen mixed), and conversation (same as conversation threads here at TA, runs the gamut from A to Z, but without the moderators and admins keeping it under PG-13). I foolishly looked inside the used gun display cabinet (it's okay for me to look at the new gun displays, 'cause I can't afford 'em), when a pistol caught my eye. https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/o...t-respond.html

Always in the past, when I'd hold a Glock in my hand, I would notice the different grip angle when I assumed a firing stance. Yeah, the Glock naysayers have a point, I'd think. It IS different. But, yesterday, when I fired 50 rounds through it, I discovered something: When I shoot one, that grip angle doesn't matter, not one little bit - it works.
    It really doesn't matter. Likewise, the stock Glock "kids plastic space gun" trigger doesn't matter either, when you're actually using it.

I suspect someone sitting there slowly dryfiring for their youtube, BookFace or gun forum review, can find many things to fuss over. Things that don't matter in real life.
    CaptainMorgan and Old_Sp5 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8988 times
    I love Glocks. Taste just like chicken.

Seriously, I wish I could shoot a Glock well. If I could, I'd buy a Glock 17. I suppose I could shoot a Glock well if I shot one often, but rather than change things, I'll stick to my Springfields, Tauri, and assorted 1911's and a couple of pretty nice wheel guns.

I certainly hope that you like your choice. I hope you shoot it well and often. It's probably going to be very, very reliable, and you'll never suffer the pain of having to send it back to the OEM.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I am one of those people. I have owned 5 different models of Glocks over the years and can't shoot them well enough to keep them.

I have reached a point where I figure I should just stick with other styles of pistols. I have small hands and the grip angle and generally blockiness does negatively effect my shooting results.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    ETF likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6443 times
    If you shoot it and like it, that is all that matters. You are the only one you have to please. (except for maybe your wife.)
    jwc007 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7646 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum View Post
    I love Glocks. Taste just like chicken.
    Well...sounds like chicken..."glock-glock-glock"

I'm in the camp that I shoot Glocks with no issue, but my Beretta shoots better (in single action ).
    Divebum, Sekol and Konyo312 like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2567 times
    Never shot one.
    Never held one.
    To my knowledge, never seen one.

I'm happy so far with Taurus, so I don't see jumping brands unless it is a specific piece (Colt .45 or S&W .44 or something like that).

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7646 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    Never shot one.
    Never held one.
    To my knowledge, never seen one.

I'm happy so far with Taurus, so I don't see jumping brands unless it is a specific piece (Colt .45 or S&W .44 or something like that).
    My foray into Glock was primarily because Taurus doesn't have a 10mm...I see no need to replace anything I currently own with a Glock...
    DeltaBravoKS and Sekol like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11218 times
    There are so many good things about a Glock, I have owned 2 G19's and a 34. All shot very close to POA. However for me its the trigger guard size that makes using a Glock a problem. Trigger finger pinch. But There are so many aftermarket trigger shapes available, I may try again.
    Yissnakk and Sekol like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links