Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Observation of a first-time Glock owner/shooter

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2701 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    My foray into Glock was primarily because Taurus doesn't have a 10mm...I see no need to replace anything I currently own with a Glock...
    Makes sense. If you want a variety of calibers, there's not much selection with production model Tauruses anymore. However, I don't have a 10mm, but then again I don't have a 9mm either. I prefer those good old American measurements in inches rather than those pesky commie meters!

Member #
    Liked
    7279 times
    I still own the first Glock I bought in the mid to late 80's. Glock 23 and I carried it for many years. I bought the 9mm conversion so I could shoot the cheaper ammo them bought the 357 Sig conversion so I could shoot the prohibitively expensive ammo. I can shoot the gun as well as I can shoot my Sigs, Colts, Taurus and other semi autos.
    Sekol likes this.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2946 times
    I still own two Gen 3's. One is a 19C and the other a plain 19. What do I like about them? Nothing. What do I hate about them? Again nothing. I'm not going to cry if they get scratched, rust, holster wear, dirty, wet, Frozen, or submerged when I fall in a creek, (Its only happened twice).

I still shoot them fine. They were fine for lightening my load over carrying a 1911 or CZ/Tanfoglio. I still shoot 1911's and CZ/Tanfoglio better, but I've been shooting 1911 since I was 15, and allowed to own one when I was 16. My first Tanfoglio was in my hands 6/7 years latter. The first CZ was around 1987/88.

First Glock I shot was in '82, hated it, too slippery in my hands. the Gen 2 wasn't much better. It wasn't until the Gen 3 that it didn't slip around in my hands. Liked the RTF frames, hated the Gen 4 texture, and the Gen 5 is, "meh..." Even though I've migrated to CZ polymer, I still kept the Glocks.

If I'm limited to a bugout bag, and on foot, both 19's would go into it as well as my AR-9. They all use the same magazines.

However, if things got tough, I think Glock and 1911 parts will still exist into the 22nd century.

Maloy
    CaptainMorgan and Smokewagon like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20813 times
    I own 3 Gen 4s. All shoot fine. I really never gave the grip angle or even the finger grooves much of a second thought. If the gun will shoot, the rest is up to me.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    1034 times
    I own three Glocks: Gen4 19, Gen4 22, and a Gen5 17. I am not at either extreme side of the Glock love/hate scale. I acknowledge their excellent features and their shortcomings. There are a bevy of polymer framed, striker fired semi-auto handguns that have better features. When I first learned to shoot a semi-auto, center-fire, handgun, it was on a rented Glock 19 Gen3. The polymer framed striker fired pistol selection was not of the same depth as today. I had zero experience, and didn't know anything. On recommendations from the salesperson, friendly customers, and rental experience, I purchased a Glock 19 Gen4. Since I didn't know the grip angle was odd, the grip blocky, the stock dot-and-bucket sights weren't the best, I just shot it. I kept on practicing with it.

I can honestly say that this is the only reason I own any Glocks. I grew accustomed to Glock's and they became 'natural' in my hand. Even with the experience of shooting and owning several different handguns, I still shoot a Glock a little better than everything else.
    Smokewagon and Sekol like this.
    - John
    NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    32028 times
    My first firearm was a Glock model 22. It was utterly reliable, and made me look like a better shooter than I probably was.

Then I picked up a 1911. A while after that, I bought a 1911. I sold that Glock. Of all the firearms I've sold, I regret selling the Raven more than that Glock.

They just don't fit my hand. The trigger to beavertail reach is just too long. A PT111G2 is far, far more ergonomic, and it is a much, much safer pistol to carry because it has a thumb safety. Even my double stack .45ACP 1911 fits my hand much better than any 9mm Glock. And again, thumb safety.

Are they well made? Yes, no question. Reliable? Same answer. Will I ever own another? Nope. I'm glad for friends who have them and like them, but I do worry about their safety.
    jtg452 and Yissnakk like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    11125 times
    LOL, I bought a LEO turn-in G23 a few years ago, and now that I have "fixed it" I like it.

The thing about Glocks is that there are a lot of them on the market, there are literally thousands of aftermarket parts for them, and modifying, or "fixing" them is very easy. Building a Glock from scratch is like putting together Legos, compared to building a 1911 which is about 90% gunsmithing.

If you don't like the grip angle of a Glock, get a Polymer80 frame. You can get them 80% complete with no serial number, or 100% complete with a registered serial number for the same price. If I owned Glock, I would buy up Polymer80 and make their Glock frames the OEM frame for all the Glocks, they are that good. If you get an 80% Polymer80 frame, you can finish one in under 15 minutes with a pair of Nippers, Diagonals and a Dremel. I just showed a friend of mine how to finish one and he could not believe how quickly I finished it.

One thing about the Polymer80 Glocks, they are as habit forming, if not more so, than BRD (Black Rifle Disease), or building ARs.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    22795 times
    TnC- Congratulations on your new Gloc k and for being open minded enough to try this forray into a new to you brand! I allowed myself to try some Glocks, too, and found myself attracted to their simplicity and tremendous amount of after market support! Hope you enjoy your new pistol for many years to come!
    Last edited by Sekol; 05-04-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    GreenWolf70, Yissnakk and .452dia like this.
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    6163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    LOL, I bought a LEO turn-in G23 a few years ago, and now that I have "fixed it" I like it.

The thing about Glocks is that there are a lot of them on the market, there are literally thousands of aftermarket parts for them, and modifying, or "fixing" them is very easy. Building a Glock from scratch is like putting together Legos, compared to building a 1911 which is about 90% gunsmithing.

If you don't like the grip angle of a Glock, get a Polymer80 frame. You can get them 80% complete with no serial number, or 100% complete with a registered serial number for the same price. If I owned Glock, I would buy up Polymer80 and make their Glock frames the OEM frame for all the Glocks, they are that good. If you get an 80% Polymer80 frame, you can finish one in under 15 minutes with a pair of Nippers, Diagonals and a Dremel. I just showed a friend of mine how to finish one and he could not believe how quickly I finished it.

One thing about the Polymer80 Glocks, they are as habit forming, if not more so, than BRD (Black Rifle Disease), or building ARs.

What is a registered serial number, and where or who is it registered to?

Don
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    11125 times
    It is registered with BATF at time of manufacture.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links