Finding a double action 22LR revolver
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Finding a double action 22LR revolver

Member #
    Liked
    704 times

Finding a double action 22LR revolver

If you want a single action 22LR revolver, there is a lot of selection from a little over $100 to very expensive (I have a Rough Rider). However, if you want a double action 22, they are hard to find and much more expensive. I couldn't find a good used one at a reasonable price so I went shopping for a new one. I found the main players to be S&W and Taurus with the S&W being very expensive and the Taurus more reasonable but still generally well over $300. I can find 38 special and even some 357 Magnum cheaper than can find a double action 22LR. Based on availability and price, I ordered a Charter Arms Pathfinder from Buds Gun Shop. It should be here by the first part of next week. Based on several reviews and posts, I think it will be a better choice for me than a Taurus (even though I have and have had other Taurus revolvers in 38 special that are or were good). One reason I wanted a double action 22LR is so I can learn better trigger control cheaper than using 357 Magnum or 38 special in one of my other revolvers.

I don't understand why a 22LR revolver is more expensive than larger calibers and so much more expensive than a single action.
    Mark40 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    30189 times
    Single actions are simpler. Simpler means easier to manufacture, hence cheaper.

Looking forward to your Charter review. One thing I read about a lot regarding double action .22 revolvers is heavy trigger pull due to the need to really smack the rimfire primer, so I'll be interested to hear about that.

One company you didn't mention was Ruger; did you consider them?
    Sekol likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    739 times
    I feel your pain. I remember when the Model 94 SS was just a coupleahundredbucks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    406 times
    923 H&R
    camper .22 can be found. For less than $200.
    Lomax and sig_230 like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1015 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Based on availability and price, I ordered a Charter Arms Pathfinder from Buds Gun Shop.
    You made a good choice. Having owned .22 double action revolvers from Charter, Taurus and Ruger, I'd pick the Charter for it's trigger pull. Look fwd to your thoughts once you get out to the range with it.
    GhostHorse, Sekol and jwc007 like this.

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Article I, Section 21:
    "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

Clinging to my Guns and Bible

Member #
    Liked
    6412 times
    Keep your eyes open for a H&R Model 926 like the one in this pic. I picked it up about 3 years ago for 225$, it had been traded in on a new model something or other. It is a very fine shooter, good sights and a surprisingly good trigger. 4" barrel, 9 round capacity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    36340 times
    I have also been wanting a 22 revolver and almost was tempted to jump on an 1873 Chiappa with dual cylinders for just under 150.00. It was on sale a few weeks back but out of stock. The single cylinder is 130.00 regular price. I can't buy a Heritage due to the melt gun laws here in ILLinois, but they sell these. If I found a double action for under 250 I'd probably go that way instead.
    We, in the USA, have become that which our ancestors fled.

Member #
    Liked
    2587 times
    Yeah, Ruger LCRx or LCR in 22lr might be a good, if not a little pricey, option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Sekol, chefduane and 57K like this.
    PT111 G2
    PT92 AFS

Member #
    Liked
    704 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    One company you didn't mention was Ruger; did you consider them?
    I did but the cheapest Ruger with a 4" or longer barrel was over $600 at Buds while the Charter Arms stainless with a 4.2" barrel was $355 before the credit care upcharge. The Taurus I considered was slightly cheaper but it was out of stock (and wasn't stainless).

Member #
    Liked
    704 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    I have also been wanting a 22 revolver and almost was tempted to jump on an 1873 Chiappa with dual cylinders for just under 150.00. It was on sale a few weeks back but out of stock. The single cylinder is 130.00 regular price. I can't buy a Heritage due to the melt gun laws here in ILLinois, but they sell these. If I found a double action for under 250 I'd probably go that way instead.
    The only double action I could find that was under $250 is something called a Comanche that is made in Argentina that was formerly made by Llama in Spain. It was out of stock at Buds but the reviews and observations indicated it to be pretty poor quality and rough.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links