Classic S&W. 38s
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Classic S&W. 38s

Member #
    Liked
    66 times

Classic S&W. 38s

These guys are selling some police trade-ins. Always wanted a bull barrel Model 10 but a Model 64 would do just fine too... but not for $400. The lariat loop is us a giveaway that they come from some overseas outfit.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...9d9d-129466301

Member #
    Liked
    1521 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ? Marquis View Post
    These guys are selling some police trade-ins. Always wanted a bull barrel Model 10 but a Model 64 would do just fine too... but not for $400. The lariat loop is us a giveaway that they come from some overseas outfit.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...9d9d-129466301
    Not a bad price. I've seen model 10's going for that.

https://www.jgsales.com/smith-wesson...3940b1507d8c39
    57K likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Often times there just isn't enough detail in pics. In very good condition, a model 10 is easily worth $400, But in good condition, you have to start wondering and it goes dowsales n from there. That's also true in reverse because if one were in excellent condition, they'd likely sell for more.

Having a lanyard loop on the butt of a revolver, IMO, increases the chances that the LE agency that turned them loose wasn't an American LE agency. If they came from Europe, the round count on those revolvers could be, and most likely are, is probably not reflected by the quality of the finish.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10585 times
    Model 10 LEO trade-ins were going for $299 locally, but they sold out quickly.
    ? Marquis likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    1521 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 57K View Post
    Often times there just isn't enough detail in pics. In very good condition, a model 10 is easily worth $400, But in good condition, you have to start wondering and it goes dowsales n from there. That's also true in reverse because if one were in excellent condition, they'd likely sell for more.

Having a lanyard loop on the butt of a revolver, IMO, increases the chances that the LE agency that turned them loose wasn't an American LE agency. If they came from Europe, the round count on those revolvers could be, and most likely are, is probably not reflected by the quality of the finish.
    Yup, I read somewhere a story about European police departments issuing their officers a gun and enough ammo to load it and have one cylinder/magazine in back up. This was ALL they were given. They never even shot them after leaving the academy. Any wear on the gun was from un-holstering for cleaning and inspections.
    Last edited by morrcarr67; 04-11-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    57K likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6519 times
    I have a couple of classic S&W 38's, on the right a 1920's Regulation Police, on the left a 1953 Regulation Police Improved "I" frame. Both are chambered in the iconic 38 S&W, both are 5 round capacity. 2 of my favorite S&W revolvers, great fun to cast, load and shoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30876 times
    I have a 4" M10 I inherited from my grandpa. It had belonged to a Wharton County sheriff and he traded that fellow out of it. It was a pencil barreled gun, but the forcing cone cracked on it and I had a 4" bull barrel installed that I found on "Shotgun News" back in the 90s. I like the way it balances better than the pencil barrel even if it looks a bit more up to date.

A M64 would be nice.
    GreenWolf70 and morrcarr67 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    10585 times
    Quote Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
    Yup, I read somewhere a story about European police departments issuing their officers a gun and enough ammo to load it and have one cylinder/magazine in back up. This was ALL they were given. They never even shot them after leaving the academy. Any wear on the gun was from un-holstering for cleaning and inspections.
    My BIL is now retired Bundes Politzei (German Federal Police) and I have heard him complain about policies that have been forced on them by the government. They sign out their weapon at the beginning of their shift and sign it back in at the end. They are not allowed off duty carry. My BIL towards the end of his career had to deal with a lot of Eastern European mob organizations. He said they knew police policies and would threaten the families of police who were after them. For this reason, upon retirement he requested a carry permit to defend himself. His permit request was turned down because he had been "exposed to too much violence in his work place".

As far as German police, they practice a lot and are generally very good shots. My BIL invited me to one their ranges to show me how they practice, it was an eye opener. This was at one of their academies and as random distance full silhouette targets would come up, the Range Master would shout which part he wanted you to hit, i.e., elbow, knee, head, neck, groin, etc. LOL, just hitting the target was not enough. As far as revolvers, I don't think they have used them since before WWI, so it is unlikely that you will get a German LEO revolver, more likely French, or Brit.
    morrcarr67 likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    1521 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    My BIL is now retired Bundes Politzei (German Federal Police) and I have heard him complain about policies that have been forced on them by the government. They sign out their weapon at the beginning of their shift and sign it back in at the end. They are not allowed off duty carry. My BIL towards the end of his career had to deal with a lot of Eastern European mob organizations. He said they knew police policies and would threaten the families of police who were after them. For this reason, upon retirement he requested a carry permit to defend himself. His permit request was turned down because he had been "exposed to too much violence in his work place".

As far as German police, they practice a lot and are generally very good shots. My BIL invited me to one their ranges to show me how they practice, it was an eye opener. This was at one of their academies and as random distance full silhouette targets would come up, the Range Master would shout which part he wanted you to hit, i.e., elbow, knee, head, neck, groin, etc. LOL, just hitting the target was not enough. As far as revolvers, I don't think they have used them since before WWI, so it is unlikely that you will get a German LEO revolver, more likely French, or Brit.
    That would have been fun to see.

Member #
    Liked
    29296 times
    The photo in the advert doesn't coincide with the description; "Made in the 70's"

The left side frame drilled safeties were no produced till much later.
    NativeTexan and BangBang like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links