Colt Defender Combat Elite Oooooooh yeah.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Colt Defender Combat Elite Oooooooh yeah.

Member #
    Liked
    31124 times

Colt Defender Combat Elite Oooooooh yeah.

Well, my incredible wife got me a fantastic Christmas present. Back in November, we were in a gun shop in Pagosa Springs, CO. They had a Defender, and a Defender Combat Elite. The clerk showed both to me. Recently my wife said that when I picked up the Combat Elite, it looked right to her.

Skip forward to Christmas. She gave me a picture of what she thought I wanted. She didn't want to order it, because when she started researching she saw how many options there are (Commander, Talo edition, etc), and wanted me to make sure she got exactly the right thing. So we ordered it, and I got it a few days after Christmas with some Centurylink-imposed delays. Which I handled with the grace, dignity, and patience befitting a moderator. Pipe down back there.

It is one heck of a good-looking gun.

Name:  DSC00550.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  1.21 MB

The recoil spring is a double spring, and it's designed in such a way that you can disassemble it without tools. It's a very slight variation on standard 1911 disassembly.

Name:  DSC00551.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  1.40 MB

The Combat Elite has some upgrades from the regular Defender of course.

Name:  DSC00552.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  1.13 MB

Frontstrap checking is one of the big upgrades. It really locks your hand to the gun. So do the synthetic grips.

Name:  DSC00555.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  1.10 MB

You also get an extended, ambidextrous safety, and a very comfortable beavertail.

Name:  DSC00556.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  977.5 KB

When I got it home, I cleaned it (very easy) and lubed it. Then I loaded the magazines (it comes with two) and let them sit until I had the chance to shoot it.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    4912 times
    I do have to say that is one handsome firearm. Nice choice!
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2713 times
    She's a KEEPER! so is your wife.

Maloy
    GhostHorse and Yissnakk like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    31124 times
    I had to wait for the sun to be up for a while before shooting it. It was -10F when I got up today.

But it warmed up a lot by early afternoon, and off I went to shoot it for the first time. I set out a target at a 10 yard distance, and then function fired a mag or two at a random spot on the hillside.

Here's the first full 7+ 1:

Name:  range 02.jpeg
Views: 276
Size:  2.41 MB

And here's a couple more magazines:

Name:  range 04.jpeg
Views: 278
Size:  2.77 MB

All in all, I fired 40 rounds in this first session. No malfunctions. That already makes it better than either of the other compact 1911s I've had.

I am impressed with this pistol. I mean I am really impressed with this pistol. It locks to your hand. The recoil isn't bad at all (weight is good). I fired a few shots at little tiny shrubs a little further away on the hillside, and every one would have been an on target self defense shot. It is very well made. In fact, I'd say the inside of this gun is better finished than parts of the outside of my 90s Colt 1991. This is also my first gun with night sights. I like them. Shocking, right?

Fill this gun up and carry the spare magazine, and you've got 15 rounds of .45ACP. This is a great carry gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    31124 times
    Doggone rotated photos...

Couple more thoughts; the new blue box from Colt has egg crate foam instead of the previous molded shape. I like the molded shape better, but it's not really a big deal.

I've read about these occasionally throwing brass back at your face. That happened maybe 2 or 3 times in my range session. We'll see if it keeps doing it once it's broken in.

The grip scallop that improves the access to the magazine release works well, and could also be a bit of a thumb shelf for those who don't like keeping their thumb on the safety lever. The cutout below the triggerguard feels very natural. Having shot this, my 1991 almost feels odd.

The markings are laser etching. I think I prefer the old roll marks and stampings, but like the case, it's not very important. I bet there are those out there who care deeply about it though.
    Last edited by GhostHorse; 01-01-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    Yissnakk and BigBlue like this.

Member #
    Liked
    19032 times
    Wow! That is just gorgeous! We have GOT to get together for a "Shoot'n Show'n Tell" this spring.
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; 01-01-2019 at 07:25 PM.
    GhostHorse and Yissnakk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    My defender is probably my most carried pistol. I didn't even know this one existed. Now I dont like mine so much anymore and want yours.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4653 times
    Very good looking slide gun.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    31124 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Wow! That is just gorgeous! We have GOT to get together for a "Shoot'n Show'n Tell" this spring.
    Absolutely! And we could take an early definition of "spring."

Quote Originally Posted by studenygreg View Post
    My defender is probably my most carried pistol. I didn't even know this one existed. Now I dont like mine so much anymore and want yours.
    I think they started making the Combat Elite pretty recently. But anyone who has a 3"/3.5" 1911 that works well has a treasure. This is my third, and I've finally found a keeper.
    230JHP and daytonaredeye like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2136 times
    Very nice, congrats.
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links