Colt Defender Combat Elite Oooooooh yeah. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Colt Defender Combat Elite Oooooooh yeah.

Member #
    Liked
    27002 times
    I find that my defenders and officers models get dry a lot faster than the commander and governmet models.
    usually IF i have a feed. ejection problem a drop or 2 of CLP takes care of that problem.
    the down side to these lil bitty 1911 is they do go through recoil springs pretty fast.
    and they can be pricey if buying the entire unit.
    Tankercorps71 and GhostHorse like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2822 times
    Congrats on your lovely new slide gun and also having such a lovely wife.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    My Colt Defender was dead on out of the box, so I don't know if I was lucky or if you got one that the sights need adjusted. Why would you need to replace the barrel after only 5000 rds. ? Recoil springs, I don't replace the whole assembly just the springs which can be bought from wolff springs. Also I have only replaced them once at about the 2500 rd. count. If you do want to replace the assembly EGW sells one that looks pretty good for $50
    I think you may have been lucky; I did have to adjust the rear sight a little. The key to achieved accuracy was constant practice, building muscle memory. .....Changing out the barrel at 5,000 rounds is a personal choice after experiencing barrel and chamber erosion with like number of rounds fired in standard military Colt M1911 - M1911A1 pistols. I did have some that had no real problem with maintaining accuracy with 9,000 rounds fired. I will check the chamber/barrel when I get to 5,000 rounds then make the decision. As for the recoil spring assembly, the entire assembly does not look, to me at least, to be able to go beyond 2,000 +/- rounds, although it is capable of doing so, which is evident with the current one I am using now. ....Thanks for the lead on EGW.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Just a taste of the candy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20770 times
    I must say Colt makes a helluva handsome Defender!! But, then, I haven’t run into a two toned Commander or Officer 1911 with Rosewood grips I didn’t like!
    GhostHorse and olfarhors like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    32025 times
    Well, I got some really nice grips off of eBay, but they don't fit. They came on Wednesday, I sent a message to the seller, and he still hasn't responded. Since he doesn't seem interested in standing behind his product, I may go ahead and see if I can make them work with a dremel. Aaaargh. Still crazy about the Defender itself, though!
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    32025 times
    Well, I took a Dremel to it.

"It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    32025 times
    Got to the range today in about 22F weather. Still had a blast. I had two FTEx though. Got it home, and the extractor tension was way too low. I've fixed it, judging by the wave-the-slide-around-with-the-extractor-holding-a-bullet test. Will test fire soon.

I'm still nuts about this pistol. Finished a holster for it, finally.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    32025 times
    The temperature was twice what it was last time when I got to the range today. An absolutely balmy 41F. I put 50 flawless rounds through the Defender. Today's interesting wrinkle; I shot it one handed. It's accurate and comfortable even doing that. The infatuation continues!
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    986 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Well, I took a Dremel to it.

You took an Oreo cookie to it.
    LOL ever since you posted i have been thinking about this gun. I don't want a 3" in .45 but it's accurate and the reviews are high. I would carry this gun.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2315 times
    That gun is amazingly handsome. I plan on getting myself a Colt Lightweight Defender or Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP someday.

They just seem like the perfect EDC for me.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links