• S&W Shield (any gen)

32 51.61%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Single Stack 9mm (Poll)

Member #
    Liked
    18399 times
    I don't have any single stack 9s right now. Got rid of two in the last year. Gonna that 43 one of these days.

Obama: AK-47s are for soldiers.
    Arwine: MAK-90s are for civilians.

This world would be a much better place if people would mind their own business.
    -Me

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31242 times
    Well, my P11 Kel Tec is skinnier than MOST single stacks, 1" wide, fits in a pocket, and carries 11 rounds of reliable firepower. I don't see the need in a single stack 9, personally, just me of course. Were I getting one today, though, I'd give the PF9 a thought. It's a little lighter and skinnier than the P11 and only gives up 2 rounds. I like the long DA on the P11, though, very safe to carry, like a little square revolver.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    667 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Well, my P11 Kel Tec is skinnier than MOST single stacks, 1" wide, fits in a pocket, and carries 11 rounds of reliable firepower. I don't see the need in a single stack 9, personally, just me of course. Were I getting one today, though, I'd give the PF9 a thought. It's a little lighter and skinnier than the P11 and only gives up 2 rounds. I like the long DA on the P11, though, very safe to carry, like a little square revolver.
    I agree completely. May hand is about 8.25" from the base of my palm to the tip of my finger. All of the sub compact single stacks I've ever tried have been nearly unusable for me. I'll take the slightly larger P11 any day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    31819 times
    I've fired a Ruger single stack poly 9mm. One of the worst triggers I've ever suffered through. Nope.
    Glock? Nope. IMHO, not safe. No thanks.
    S&W? Nope. They cuddled right up to President Clinton. I remember it well. They get none of my money.

My favorite single stack 9mm is the Kimber Micro 9. Dang good handgun.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I've fired a Ruger single stack poly 9mm. One of the worst triggers I've ever suffered through. Nope.
    Not sure why folks complain about the LC9 trigger. Maybe they weren't smooth initially? Maybe most are use to striker-fired pistols? Mine is a very smooth pull like a revolver with a trigger job.

Glock? Nope. IMHO, not safe. No thanks.
    In what way? Has internal safeties i.e. drop safeties. Gun won't go off unless the trigger safety bar is depressed. Just takes trigger discipline the same as a revolver really.

S&W? Nope. They cuddled right up to President Clinton. I remember it well. They get none of my money.
    You realize the company has changed hands a couple of times since that era don't you?
    Its not hitting something that is important, its hitting something important that is important.

Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Member #
    Liked
    11006 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
    Not sure why folks complain about the LC9 trigger. Maybe they weren't smooth initially? Maybe most are use to striker-fired pistols? Mine is a very smooth pull like a revolver with a trigger job.
    Try a Kahr DAO trigger for an example of what a DAO trigger should be, the Ruger LC9 trigger is an absolute mess, almost as bad as a S&W shrouded trigger revolver. Maybe you have the exception, or you just have one that has had a trigger job, but the LC9 out of the box is horrible, the Kel-Tec has a better trigger, and that ain't saying much.

In what way? Has internal safeties i.e. drop safeties. Gun won't go off unless the trigger safety bar is depressed. Just takes trigger discipline the same as a revolver really.
    The trigger out of the box on the G43 and the G42 exhibit all the bad traits of the larger Glocks, just magnified. Easily fixed, but terrible out of the box none the less. Besides being heavy, there is so much slack in the trigger system that you can squeeze the trigger without firing and it sounds like someone bouncing up and down on one of those old open box spring beds as the trigger pulls the last of the slack (completes the cocking sequence) out. SIL brought me his G43, said it was grouping about 16" to the left. I cleaned up the trigger and told him to get a mag extension since the grip was too short for him. Now it is shooting to POA. But you should never see this out of an expensive gun like a Glock. Plus the demand in Commiefornia for the 80% framed G43 (since you can not buy a G43 in Commiefornia) is only driving G43 prices up. Want a G43 stripped frame, you can buy one for about $50, because retailers are buying the G43, stripping it of parts and selling those parts as a kit for the 80% G43 frames. I don't think the SS80, as it is called, has even appeared on shelves yet, but the G43 parts kits are constantly sold out, just in anticipation of its arrival. If Glock was smart, they would sell the G43 parts kit with their own 80% frame, just for California.

You realize the company has changed hands a couple of times since that era don't you?
    LOL, at one time Taurus belonged to the same group as S&W and at that time the Taurus revolvers were advertised as an "improved S&W design".

For those of you with large hands, who are having problems with these micro 9mm pistols, try the Kahr CW line. They have full size grips, yet still are easy to conceal in light clothes, and offer a little less recoil than their peers. I have been carrying a CW-40 for many years now. LOL, if I am going to carry only 7 rounds, I want big bullets. And the Kahr CW-40 is much, much lighter and thinner than any comparable sized 1911. The Kahr CW-40 is even thinner and lighter than their own CW-45.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    94 times
    We have differing experiences on both the Ruger and the Glock triggers. As mentioned, the LC9 is quite pleasant to shoot and the trigger is smooth. My G43 doesn't have any of the issues you described. In point of fact, none of my Glocks have any of the issues you described. They fire just fine. They aren't what I'd describe as 'competition' triggers but then I wouldn't want that type of trigger on a carry pistol anyway.
    Bellows1 likes this.
    Its not hitting something that is important, its hitting something important that is important.

Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Member #
    Liked
    11006 times
    I have built a number of Glocks and I am pretty good at getting the slack out of Glock triggers now. Anyone who has worked on them can tell you how sloppy their triggers are. I am not talking about competition triggers, but carry triggers. I am not even talking about changing overtravel or even takeup, just taking all the creep, grit and quirks out, as well as tuning the connector.

But I can not help you on the Ruger LC9 triggers, I am pretty sure that Ruger redesigned it into the striker fired LC9s because the trigger was so bad.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    I voted for bthe Shield. It's a nice pistol. I like the feel of the Ruger, but don't like the take down on it. Popping out a pin is not an easy field procedure. The one I had took some effort and you needed to have just the right sized tool to push it out. They need to change that.
    The one I really like, that is not on the list is the Walther PPS in 9mm or 40. It's a very nice, accurate and reliable carry gun.
    FreeInAZ and switchbow like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I voted Shield because I have 2 -- a 9 and a 45. Both conceal well, handle well, have great grip angle, and are dependable, based on my having 700 rounds through the 9 and 500 through the 45. I did upgrade the sights on both to Meprolight Pro i-dot. sorry, but I had a 709 Slim, and sold it after I was sure my Shield 9 was better, in almost every way (yes, I know it's a Taurus forum, attack me at will)!
    switchbow likes this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links