Found a nice S&W 64-5 while picking up my G2C. My review.
Like Tree15Likes
  • 9 Post By silverstring
  • 1 Post By texastaurusguy
  • 1 Post By Bellows1
  • 1 Post By Sekol
  • 2 Post By olfarhors
  • 1 Post By Harry

Thread: Found a nice S&W 64-5 while picking up my G2C. My review.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11041 times

Found a nice S&W 64-5 while picking up my G2C. My review.

Whilst I was picking up my new Taurus G2C, I had a chance to see if any other handguns needed liberating. Oh crud there was a Smith 64-5 sitting in the far,dark rear corner of the case. Nice Stainless 38 Special with some finish staining and a few marks. They were asking $349..I tried my best but could only get them down to $325. What the heck it seemed so out of place with the skads of Rough Riders and old worn out off brand revolvers. So Mr. Smith came to the Silverstring farm.
    Name:  P1030089bb.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  762.2 KB
    So I did a complete tear down and removed lots of brown sticky stuff from the frame and action parts. Polished the friction surfaces and did a little stoning to the sear and hammer surfaces. Put everything in a 24 hour CLP bath, cleaned up and put it all back together. Then did a light polish to the frame and cylinder to get the last bit of staining off the stainless.
    Name:  P1030102bb.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  728.8 KB
    This beauty was built in 1993, it weighs 35.2 oz's and has a 8.2 lb DA pull with a 3.6 lb SA pull. It has the typical ( amazing ) S&W trigger and is so easy shooting 38 special. The ramped front sight and notch rear site don't make this a target model. But it shoots as accurate as you want it to.
    Name:  P1030103bb.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  867.2 KB
    This K frame fills the void between my model 60-15 J frame and the amazing 686 deluxe L frame revolvers I picked up earlier this year. Smith actions feel like a well tuned Swiss clock. The trigger is smooth and is so easy to stage for DA shooting.
    Name:  P1030109bb.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  721.5 KB
    With the minimal sights 25 yards was just about the end of my vision to the target. But as you can see those sights didn't stop me from having very accurate hits on this 8" sticky target. I also ran some snake shot through it at 20 feet, the pattern was pretty good with about a 15 inch oval pattern. These old model 64's make a great addition to any collection, and are plentiful right now with the influx of police surpluses hitting the shelves. Pick one up, you won't be disappointed. Now get out there and do some summer shooting.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30998 times
    I love the model 64 and 65 Smiths, they have nice, clean lines and are not overly bulky. My very first gun was a 65 and I rue the day I sold it. That is a great looking 64, congrats !
    silverstring likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    3832 times
    That's a beauty for sure, nice find.

I have 2 S&W's a 686 4" and a 5906, both have excellent trigger breaks. Smith has had some problems over the years, but they do make an outstanding handgun.
    silverstring likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22694 times
    What a wonderful find! congratulations - and thanks for the pix!!
    silverstring likes this.
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    26513 times
    I love them old Black powder guns with them round thingies in the middle of the frame!!!-----------
    silverstring and jwc007 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    4158 times
    I picked up an old police trade in last year. Nice shooter Name:  IMG_20170812_112828336_HDR.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  4.97 MB
    silverstring likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links