Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Don't Hate Me. I Confess That I....

5K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  Lmstncwby 
#1 ·
Bought a Glock 22 last Saturday. As a Security Officer, our teams have been agonizing about standardizing our weapons to make exchanging magazines easier in case of a situation where someone needed additional ammo. Since we are volunteers, everyone must supply their own arms and accoutrements. We are looking at Glock 17s and 22s. The local police currently use G22s (.40 S&W) but several have gone to G17s (9mm). Personally, I would rather have the G22 but they are leaning toward the G17. Which brings me to Saturday.

I was at the LGS (one of them) and spied a Glock 22 Gen 4 for about $400 tagged as used. It looked brand new. It turns out that it had never been fired by the previous owner. The original owner bought it, had the magazine release reversed (he was left-handed), put it back in the box, never fired it and later died. His widow put it up for sale. So I bought it after field stripping it and seeing that there was no wear inside. This weekend it gets new sights and a trip to the range. You will get a range report on this thing along with some pix. I will say, it does need a trigger tune up. The pull weight isn't too bad but the reset point is long.

#2 ·
I picked up a LEO turn in G23 a year or so ago for $300 and I like it. Yours should not have one of the "Police" triggers, so just the general buffing, making sure the trigger bar tab is not too tall, and the safety disconnector button moves up and down in its hole smoothly should greatly improve that trigger.

The G22/17 frame is just too thick for me. The G23 is just about right, but the Polymer80 Compact frame that fits the G23 is about perfect.

#4 ·
One thing I know about this gun forum. People here have ALL KINDS of guns. Truth be told, I belong to several other "gun specific" gun forums and truth be told, almost everyone has more than one brand of gun. I had a Hi-Point carbine that was an absolute hoot. My older brother wanted it so I got a PT905 in the trade.

The number one requirement for me on a firearm is that it works....every time it is fired. Everything else is a beauty contest.

#5 ·
Same here. I have (besides Taurus/Rossi) Rugers, Springfields, S&Ws, and an FN, so the Glock joins its buds. If they decide to go Glock 17, it join the rest of Ye Merrye Crewwe. Of course having a 9 will, of course require that I acquire a PT 111 G2, so it won't be lonely. :)

#6 ·
I have quite a few Glocks, the G22 among them. They are probably used and relied upon by more law enforcement agencies than any other handgun. They are very reliable as is and while I know the triggers aren't the best, be careful what you decide to do to the trigger as it can be the quickest way to take the perfection out of a Glock.

#9 ·
Local Pawnshop has a Gen3 G23 but they're asking nearly new price for it...I still kinda want it, just not for that price. I currently only have a G29, which I absolutely love, but would not shy away from another Glock if the price were right.

Reactions: Lmstncwby
#10 · (Edited)
One of the things I have noticed on LEO turn in Glocks is the wear patterns. The G22 is more than likely to have high holster wear, and will look to have been shot a lot, the G23 typically shows less wear and will look to have been shot less, almost all of the G27's will show very little, if any, wear and most appear to have never been shot. This intrigued me and I asked several friends of mine, including one police chief and a retired police detective. Their answers had me laughing.

The G22 is typically the most common pistol issued to patrolmen. So it sees the most everyday carry, explaining the holster wear.
The G23 is the most common pistol issued to everyone else, except detectives (I took this to mean desk bound and others officers who aren't out in the elements often). Also most women and some men with small hands are issued the G23, explaining some patrolmen type wear, but not as much as the G22.
The G27 is usually issued to detective and management types, who carry in a shoulder holster and they just don't go in and out of holsters much and, being worn inside a suit jacket, just aren't exposed to the elements much.

The G27 is almost never used to qualify. Since qualification is a job requirement, detectives borrow someone else's (or have their own) G22 to use for qualification, which explains why most G27's look like they have never been fired.

So when you are looking through Leo turn ins you can expect to find more high use G22's, G23's will mostly show some holster wear but usually little wear from firing, while almost all the G27's will look like they have never been shot. Every LEO organization will over-order (10% is average) to compensate for pistols taken out of active duty because of breakage, or they were involved in a shooting. The rest never leave the arms room, which is why every LEO turn in lot will have some jewels in the lot. Also, even the high use LEO pistols will have been under the care of a usually school trained and certified armorer, so even with high use they have been well cared for and you should expect no broken parts.

So you wonder what had me laughing about this....Detectives rarely shoot their own carry weapon. They carry the G27 because it is lighter than the others and it is a status weapon, but given their preference, they will shoot someone else's weapon when it counts.

#14 ·
That must be an Alabama thing. LEO's have to qualify with any weapon they are going to carry, even their off duty weapon. You can qualify with as many weapons as you want. My son carried a Sig 380 as an Investigator but also had to qualify with the G21 which was the Dept. issue weapon. They have since gone to the S&W M&P 9mm due to the snowflake officers they are hiring now.

#11 ·
Hey, my first Glock was a Gen4 G22. Was a fun gun. I then got my G19 & G23 (both Gen4s). I also bought a new Gen5 G19 when they hit the shelves last fall. I will occasionally slip my G19 and G23 (converted to 357SIG) into my carry rotation. I don’t carry the G22 very often but will Carry it as my hunting sidearm occasionally. Got a 357 conversion barrel for it too but keep it in 40 most of the time.

No Glock snobs in my house.

#15 ·
LOL, reread your post. I think you just proved my point.

#17 ·
The local police currently use G22s (.40 S&W) but several have gone to G17s (9mm). Personally, I would rather have the G22 but they are leaning toward the G17.
FBI influence. The FBI have supposedly gone back to 9mm with G17s and G19s. They are quicker back on target with less recoil, hold more rounds and pass their penetration requirements with the better bullets now available.

Reactions: jwc007 and mingaa
#18 ·
I share your shame, after years of making a little fun of Block's oh I mean Glocks, I lucked into an amazing G19. Now I have modded the grip just enough to remove the tops of the finger grooves, installed an over sized slide stop and mag release. Then wrapped the grip in grip tape. Now it is my glock and much to the chagrin of and surprise of me and others, it is insanely accurate.

#20 ·
Speaking of Blocks, the Springfield XD Mod.2 series is a lot "blockier" that the Glock. Look at one and you will see what I mean.

#19 ·
Been reading up on the G22 Gen 4 series. Looking forward to the range session. One officer I know is loath to give up his G22 for a G17. The difference in the number of rounds is 2. That's right 15 versus 17 rounds. From the reviews and tests, the double recoil spring is supposed to reduce recoil to 9mm levels. I will compare it with my FNS-40 and see if there is reduced recoil.

I don't have any 9mm guns ..... yet. If our security managers decide to go to the G17, I will buy my own through any offered discount programs. It may not happen. Some of the team are complaining about the cost of purchasing their weapons and equipment (something they hadn't thought about when joining); quite a few are carrying PT111 G2s, and are well pleased with how they function and their accuracy (they have to qualify annually - required by the security company we are associated with). This is quite a nice recommendation for the 111 G2, I might say. If they go with the G17, I will probably get a PT111 G2 to keep it company. At least I have a 9mm reloading setup.

Reactions: jwc007
#25 ·
LOL, if I were the CEO of Glock, I would buy up Polymer80 and switch to their frame, it is just that much better than what comes on a new Glock. You really have to hold and/or shoot one to understand how much better designed the Polymer80 frame is. For those of you who worry about the whole 80% and unregistered thing, Polymer80 is now selling their completed frame with a serial number.

Reactions: BigBlue
#29 ·
Well, it's almost Saturday and after I work security at a funeral at church I will get the Glock and head to the range - that is after a trip to a gun show in Fort Worth for - you guessed it - stuff for the Glock. :D

Can't wait!!

#30 ·
Watch out! The stuff they have for Glock is mind numbing.
Try to limit yourself to sights and maybe a Talon Grip. If it's a Gen 3, they do benefit with an after market guide rod and 22# recoil spring. Tames 180gr rounds and allows the use of a WML on your Gen3.

Lefty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Grave robbers?

Reactions: Lefty_Red
#34 ·
I put a Rocket disconnector in my G17, it really helped shorten up the reset. A little bit of filing is involved, but it is super easy.

Reactions: GreenWolf70
#37 · (Edited)
Well, I made it to the range but not to the gun show. :'( Obviously, the Glock ran just fine. Very, very accurate and easy to shoot. I shot it along side of my regular duty carry (an FNS-40). Trigger pull was the same as the FNS-40. What I didn't care for was the trigger itself. If there is such a thing as Glock Trigger Finger, I had it. :mad: So this bad boy gets a new trigger along with the tritium sights. The ZEV triggers look real good but I want to keep the stock trigger pull weight.

I shot the FNS-40 first then the Glock. Ragged one-hole groups with the Glock if I did my job at 3, 7, and 15 yards. Wow! This gun DEFINITELY shoots better than I do for sure. One of the guys in the neighboring lane came over and told me that it IS ok to use the rest of paper on the target (smart aleck). We had a good laugh. I ran about 100 rounds thought it and no hiccups whatsoever. Now, to replace the trigger and get the new sights on and back to the range we go. I also want to try some other ammo to see how it runs; I was shooting Blazer Aluminum 180 gr rounds. I usually shoot Winchester White Box 165 gr or PMC 180 gr factory rounds in schools or for weapons qualification.

All in all, a good pistol. Not perfect but definitely has promise.

Reactions: jwc007 and mingaa
#40 ·
If you are looking for a good trigger, without a major change in trigger pull, try the Kineti-Tech Trigger: Glock Triggers - Kineti-Tech
You can get just the trigger shoe (choose 1 of 4 different styles in 2 color combos), the trigger shoe with OEM trigger bar, or complete OEM trigger group, polished or unpolished. It is a good bit cheaper than any competing flat face aluminium trigger that I have seen or used and I noticed it is used as the basis for high end competition triggers by Tactical Trigger, so it is good basic stock.

As far as cost, AmeriGlo is hard to beat. $65, or less, gets you an iDot, CAP, or 3 dot with tritium. I also like the TruGlo TFO. You will be hard pressed to find them around $100, but they are there. I like the fiber optic and sealed trit combo, it lights up well day or night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.