Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: My Large Bore revolver journey.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31064 times
    Well, I'd never rely on a load I've never even tested for accuracy, let alone practiced with. A 255 grain flat point over 8.3 grains Unique is perfectly safe and clocks 950 fps out of my 4 5/8" barrel, would kill any bear that walks the lower 48 and would be safe to practice with.....or of course, if you WERE the hiking type, that's a good excuse for a .44 tracker. I'm way over the hill for any kind of rough country, myself. My hip has some kind of itis in it Arther or Bers or something. I can't even walk out to my burn barrel without pain (just did it, why it's on my mind). It's a shame. There's so much country I've not seen....but then, I guess there's too much to see in a lifetime.
    CDR_Glock likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    237 times

Smith 500

Smith 460 XVR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.
    Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

Member #
    Liked
    2255 times
    I like how the newer 500s look like a super-sized 629, that is one sexy-looking Elephant Gun!
    CDR_Glock likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46470 times
    Nice collection you have there. I have the 6.5" S&W .500 Mag. Never cared for the models with the compensator.

Love shooting my .500 S&W I am pushing the 1000 round mark now. Get your hands on some of those 700 Grain monsters they are real fun. I shot 5 of them from a 4" .500 S&W Mag and was in heaven. Here is just the 700 gr bullet next to a .45 ACP Cartridge.

Name:  IMG_0343[1].JPG
Views: 33
Size:  14.3 KB
    CDR_Glock likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    237 times

My Large Bore revolver journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Nice collection you have there. I have the 6.5" S&W .500 Mag. Never cared for the models with the compensator.

Love shooting my .500 S&W I am pushing the 1000 round mark now. Get your hands on some of those 700 Grain monsters they are real fun. I shot 5 of them from a 4" .500 S&W Mag and was in heaven. Here is just the 700 gr bullet next to a .45 ACP Cartridge.

Name:  IMG_0343[1].JPG
Views: 33
Size:  14.3 KB

Where do you get the 700 gr bullets? Or do you cast them?
    That's a copper gas check?

What loads (powder/grains) are you using? I have some old laptops that I'm going to blast away, soon, on YouTube.

The biggest I have is 500 gr which will still be more than adequate.
    Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46470 times
    Yes that is a gas check, I would only get the gas check versions to help prevent gas cutting the lead. Matts Bullets sell the 700 Gr bullets with gas checks they are $25 for 50 or you can get 250 for $118.75. They also sell them loaded and ready to go. Last I checked there is not much load data available for the 700 gr bullets, you pretty much need to trust some online sources. As far as published data goes I think it tops out at 500 gr bullets. I load some 440 grain hard cast lead which are also pretty fun and affordable. My go to bullet for bulk shooting is the Rainier 335 Gr plated Hollow Point that Midway USA carries. They go on sale often and I can get a box of 500 for 15¢ a bullet with free shipping. I push them 1700 FPS with no issues.

Bullets: 500 S&W : Matts Bullets
    Ammo: 500 S&W : Matts Bullets Ammunition

Load Data I am comfortable with 24.5gr H-110 from a couple online sources, I have not pushed the highly compressed 25.0gr H-110 load. Of course use at your own risk and work up to the max.
    Reloading 500 S&W Magnum Page
    500 S&W Magnum Load Data - Handloads.Com
    CDR_Glock likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31336 times
    Fish, your 500 magnum is a beast. Thanks for letting me shoot it.....I think I broke out in a sweat as I was leveling it to fire.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Yes that is a gas check, I would only get the gas check versions to help prevent gas cutting the lead. Matts Bullets sell the 700 Gr bullets with gas checks they are $25 for 50 or you can get 250 for $118.75. They also sell them loaded and ready to go. Last I checked there is not much load data available for the 700 gr bullets, you pretty much need to trust some online sources. As far as published data goes I think it tops out at 500 gr bullets. I load some 440 grain hard cast lead which are also pretty fun and affordable. My go to bullet for bulk shooting is the Rainier 335 Gr plated Hollow Point that Midway USA carries. They go on sale often and I can get a box of 500 for 15¢ a bullet with free shipping. I push them 1700 FPS with no issues.

Bullets: 500 S&W : Matts Bullets
    Ammo: 500 S&W : Matts Bullets Ammunition

Load Data I am comfortable with 24.5gr H-110 from a couple online sources, I have not pushed the highly compressed 25.0gr H-110 load. Of course use at your own risk and work up to the max.
    Reloading 500 S&W Magnum Page
    500 S&W Magnum Load Data - Handloads.Com
    My favorite load since its tame and pleasant is 350 grain Hornady XTP. I figure I could use it as a hunting cartridge against white tails, too. I don't know how it would fare against a bear as most recommend cast lead against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links