My dad is looking for a 1911 and needs some hepl - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Re: My dad is looking for a 1911 and needs some hepl

I'll say that I bought my Kimber when I was younger and much less knowledgeable. But they do feel nice in the hand. As far concealment, they are slimmer than many other guns so it makes your life a little easier. You do need a good holster to deal with the weight of the steel frame. But in some ways it carries easier than my 3" XD, but some of that could be the different style holsters.

I'll put it another way, if I HAD to bring a handgun (vs avoiding the whole thing or bringing a long gun) to a fight and could chose from not only what I currently own but everything I've owned so far I would still pick my Kimber. It hits well and uses a proven cartridge with the barrel length that will get the job done, providing I do my part. I'm out of practice now with the manual safety but I still don't get anything that might be used for social work that works the other way (passed on a Ruger P89 today with a manual safety for $240, if it had the Decocker I might have got it). For many people the 1911 family points nice and the trigger is easy to work if you know to keep your finger off it until needed.

A drawback to a 1911 is what most companies want for them. For the price of a low end 1911 you can get service pistol. By the time you get to the mid to moderately high end you can have 2 pistols. And you may still have to mess with it to make it run nice, but this is unlikely anymore.

But yes, they're not for everyone and I don't recommend them for a first pistol.

And I feel that anyone may state their opinions as long as it presented in a constructive manner and they are being civil.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Re: My dad is looking for a 1911 and needs some hepl

Quote Originally Posted by MPanova
    I went ahead and bought my Dad the PT1911 just like mine. Took it to the range today and it fed everything we put in it with out one single problem just like I knew it would. FMJ, JHP +P it took it all. I sure cant wait for the stainless model to come out!
    Hope you guys have fun with it. I've head of a PT1911 in Michigan thats a Range Gun. It eats anything and chews the center of the target out. I'm hoping that it runs well as that will be a good test with all the abuse rental guns get.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links