Got my new SP101 today
    Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30894 times

Got my new SP101 today

It's less than a year old. Bought it from my future son-in-law to get is moron butt out of jail. He got picked up on a couple of tickets he had and needed money, sold me one of his guns and his boss a couple of long guns. I told him if he wanted it in the future, I'd sell it back to him. To be honest, I don't need the gun, but wanted the collateral, and it is kinda neat. I gave him $250 for it. The going price of the things is $450, found one for 400 a while back new when I was looking. I wanted the 3" gun. But, then I found a uses Taurus M66 at a gun show and bought that for $180. I like the Taurus, quite accurate, 3" barrels are the perfect compromise in .357 ballistics, sight radius, and concealment IWB IMHO. This Ruger has the 2 1/4", anyway slightly over 2", barrel. I'll be hitting the range with it soon to shoot it over the chronograph. Rugers I've owned in the past have "shot fast" and they have a rep for doing that, shooting faster than equal length barrels of other brands, so I'll be interested in seeing if this one can equal the Taurus's 3" tube. It is a LITTLE easier to carry with a shorter grip (less to bulge), but it's too heavy for a pocket gun, just 5 ounces lighter than my Taurus and the Taurus is a medium frame 6 shooter. It lacks the adjustable sight which I really like on the Taurus, but is unnecessary on a concealment for self defense.

Anyhow, I really didn't need this thing. Between my M85 .38 ultralite for pocket carry and my 3" M66, I had the revolver carry gun thing pretty well covered. But, I may fall in love with the thing once I hit the range with it. I notice the trigger has slicked itself up quite a bit since Brandon first brought it down here. It's still mighty heavy, so even though I might not keep the gun, I might get a Wolf spring for it, or maybe do my hammer spring trimming trick that I performed on my Security Six many years go. Ruger puts an overly powerful hammer spring in their guns and the Wolf spring is just right to lighten up the pull and still 100 percent reliable ignition.

Anyhow, it's another Ruger in the collection and lord knows I love my Rugers. I think this makes 7 now, a P90 .45ACP, a P85 9mm, an old army black powder, a stainless .45 Colt 4 5/8" blackhawk, a blued 6.5" .357 Magnum blackhawk, a 10/22, and now an SP101. I now have another DA Ruger again since I traded my old Security Six for the 6.5" Blackhawk.

The little gun is stainless, I like that, and it does conceal slightly better than the 3" M66, though it gives up a round in capacity. But, if it shoots good, I might pick this thing for carry over the M66 for social situations. I like to carry that Taurus IWB when I'm going to be outdoors, though. It's quite accurate, accurate enough out to 50 yards for a shot on a hog if I see one while tending my hog trap or working down at my place. It's easy to shoot and puts up about 520 ft lbs with my 158 grain SWC handloads. This little Ruger is going to have to prove itself in that company. Too, I suspect it might shoot high with the heavier loads and being it has non-adjustable sights, I may be relegated to using 125 grain self defense loads in it which wouldn't be good for hogs. So, I'm thinking it's not going to be carried much, but we'll see.

I know I have at least a year before Brandon might wanna buy it back. He's shipping out with his National Guard unit Thursday for Iraq, to be part of the "surge", I guess. He'll be over there a year. He's already done one hitch over there, so he knows what to expect, I reckon.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: Got my new SP101 today

When he wants it back, just tell him you sold it to get your money back...

Todd
    You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!!! (Frederick von Frankenstein in Young Frankenstein)

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    30894 times

Here's a pic of the SP101 and one of it with the 3" M66.

Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20365 times

Nice! Thanx for posting the pix. I also like 3 inchers and have a Ruger Speed Six 3 inch .38 Special. Have thought of converting my S&W M10-6 to a 3 inch or trading it off. One of the local Gunshops has an excellent condition Ruger 4 inch Security Six I thought about picking up.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Here is a picture of my SP101,3in,MagnaportedTrijicon front and CrimsonTrace grips,it is my nitestand gun. Doug
    a armed man is his own master

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    30894 times

Posted chronograph and accuracy test results in the handloading forum. Took it to the range yesterday. Thing is a real handful with my 180 grain white hot hunting load I developed for my Blackhawk. I don't shoot that load in medium framed guns with side plates, it's STOUT! But, we're talkin' 662 ft lbs out of the SP101s little stubby barrel! It's accurate, too, when you don't flinch, LOL! Be an excellent back packing package with that load for critter defense. I also shot a group a little over 2" at 25 yards from a rested position with my light wadcutter loads and it shot to point of aim with THAT plus 3 magnum loads! I'm flabbergasted. I'm hopin' the kid don't want it back. He told my daughter it shot low, but it doesn't. I think he must flinch with it. Well, the 125 grain load did shoot low. My 140 grain load shoots to point of aim, though, and produced 550 ft lbs from it. That'll be my carry load. It's got more flash/bang than my heavy bullet loads, but it's not hard on the hands at all, fairly easy to shoot and recover shot to shot.

I think, if the kid gets back and wants the gun back, I might go ahead and buy a 3" version. But, what are the chances I'll get a gun that shoots to point of aim with my favorite .38 AND .357 loads? I might just give him the extra money to go buy himself a new one, LOL!
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    30894 times

Just got my Hogue Monogrip in and installed on the gun. MAJOR BIG TIME IMPROVEMENT! The area behind the trigger guard is filled in and there's an extra spot for the pinky while retaining a nice, concealable round butt shape. LOVE THIS GRIP! Now, I have to take it to the range, well, if the rain will ever let up and I could get some time from my work. I'll be trying it out soon, though, but I already know I like it. It's even better feel than the Hogues I have on K frame guns. That might be due to the fact that the Ruger grip design allows more freedom for the grip shape, big plus in Ruger DA guns IMHO. I love the round butt shape of this grip which my Taurus 66 and my Smith M10 don't allow with their square butt frames.

B4

After

Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20365 times

The right grip can make all the difference in the world on how a handgun handles! I like the Pachmayer "Gripper" Grips on my Colts and Ruger Speed Six. For your Ruger SP101, that Hogue looks like a real winner!

Hope you can get to the range and have a good time!
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    192 times

My SP shoots POA at 25'. At 50' the 125gn. shot low. It's a DAO and I don't think I would need to shoot 50' feet away in self defence.
    Two Revolvers every day all day

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

I just bought a 2.25" DAO. The more I use it the more I like it. When I first got it, the trigger pull was really heavy, gritty and wouldn't always return. I took it apart, blasted it with gun scrubber and compressed air, lubed it up good and that smoothed it right up. I put in a set of Wolff gun springs (hammer and trigger latch/return springs) Ahhhhh....much better!

2 PT1911s - .45 Auto, .38 Super and 2 Rossi 92 .357 Mags

Sponsored Links