Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Steyr L9A1

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21029 times

Steyr L9A1

As John Cleese used to say for Monty Python, " And now for something completely different!"
    Not my usual Cz or Cz Clone.

Steyr L9A1 - Right and Left hand views - white color fill added to lettering

About three Months ago, I was doing some late night internet surfing and in the Classifieds on another Forum, I happened to come across a freshly posted ad for a slightly used Steyr L9A1. Had been casually shopping for one and I bought it as quickly as possible. $440 with FFL transfer. Retail runs $560. As these are just making it onto the USA market, they tend to be a bit scarce yet, but I believe they are worth looking for.

What I have here is a very well made, very sturdy designed and built, very reliable, and reasonably accurate combat pistol. In the three months of shooting it, I've not found any 9mm bullet it will not feed and fire.
    Rifling is standard cut, so cast bullets can be used, if desired. Note that while it does have a polymer frame, there is a full solid steel sub-frame inside of it, that mates up with the slide.
    When I first got it the trigger had a bit of mush to it, but it has now worn in nicely. The trigger now has a short bit of take up with a crisp let off.
    Sights are a trapezoidal shape for the rear and triangular for the front. They take a bit of getting used to, but I've not had any trouble with that and I find they work quickly. YMMV!
    Came supplied with two 17 round MecGar made Magazines. Still shopping for spares.

While the grip shape is very comfortable, points well, and supports a very low bore axis, I did decide to improve things a bit with the addition of a Hogue Handall, trimmed to fit.

Steyr L9A1 9mm Pistol with Hogue Handall Grip trimmed to fit

Holsters have been a bit of a challenge to find, but I did manage to snag a belt slide for it off of ebay.

Steyr L9A1 9mm Pistol in Belt Slide Holster

The only downside to this Pistol that I have found, is that disassembly of the Magazines for cleaning tends to be awkward, but not impossible, as there are two side tabs that must be held down while removing and replacing the +2 base pad. I accidentally launched the Magazine Spring across my back patio and into the driveway, once, while attempting reassembly.

Here are some other reviews on this fine Pistol!

Steyr Mannlicher L9-A1 Duty Pistol - Article - POLICE Magazine

Steyr L9A1 Review - Handguns

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    35207 times
    Great looking pistol!

i have looked at them as well. If they come out with the rumored .357 Sig variant I'd love one!
    jwc007 and mingaa like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    41754 times
    How do you like the sights?

"Always carry a knife with you. Just in Case there's cheesecake or you need to stab someone in the throat."
    "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
    Friends don't let friends buy Keltecs...
    Molon Labe
    I live in a purple house, you got a problem with that?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21029 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Texheim View Post
    How do you like the sights?
    For me, they work well as they line up quickly. I have read of others that were not so crazy about them, so YMMV on that.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27082 times
    That is a nice looking pistol. Just for giggles I asked my Sister in law what it would cost in Austria. May be difficult to find out as they are quite heavily regulated.
    jwc007 and TexasAviator like this.
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21029 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rodfair View Post
    That is a nice looking pistol. Just for giggles I asked my Sister in law what it would cost in Austria. May be difficult to find out as they are quite heavily regulated.
    Maybe not too difficult to find out, as I have read that the Steyr Pistols are quite popular in Austria.

Member #
    Liked
    25802 times

This profile - yes?!

I'd sure give them a whirl!!!
    jwc007 and chicharrones like this.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21029 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mingaa View Post
    This profile - yes?!
    Big YES!

I find as I quickly point the L9A1 at the Target, the sights just follow lining up, as they do on other handguns.
    As you've probably heard ad infinitum, focus on the front sight and everything else falls in place by the time the trigger is to be pressed.
    Last edited by jwc007; 06-23-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    mingaa likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27082 times
    That kinda sorta looks like what a carrier pilot sees...same logic?
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21029 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rodfair View Post
    That kinda sorta looks like what a carrier pilot sees...same logic?
    Not being a Carrier Pilot, I can't say for sure, but that would seem to be quite plausible from what I've seen on some Cockpit displays.
    They do remind me a bit of these sights for the PT709, yet they are different. http://www.advantagetactical.com/sto...s-709-740.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links