Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Which 22 pistol should I buy - 22/45 , 22a-1 , or Neos

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10750 times

Which 22 pistol should I buy - 22/45 , 22a-1 , or Neos

Going through the prebuy mental processes and would like you folks input. Ginger and I would like to start target shooting to enhance our skills. Also something fun and cheap to shoot,,no recoil,,accurate,,and semiauto. Only have limited funds so looking at basic models for now. I have narrowed down to three choices: Ruger 22/45 , S&W 22A-1, or Beretta Neos all in 5" or longer barrels. From the all knowing web sources (yuk..yuk..) The Ruger is the most rugged , reliable ( take down looks hard - but nbd for me) , and accurate. Locally the Ruger can be had for $300-350, S&W for $280-$350, and the Neos $240 - $300. So my esteemed colleague's I would like your opinions please.
    Name:  10107.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  23.5 KBRuger

Name:  29632_20100911220410_3.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  172.3 KB S&W

Name:  neos_zoom001.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  39.5 KB Beretta
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    13076 times
    Of all the .2 autos I have, if I could only have one it would be one of my Rugers. My first concern if I have only one example or on of a type is durability. I am still using the Red Eagle 5 digit Ruger that was well used when my Grandfather gave it to me when I was 13.
    silverstring and Sekol like this.
    I am beginning to think the "Miss Universe Pagent" is rigged. Have you noticed that all of the winners are from Earth ?

"Oh Bother", said Pooh, as he punched the magazine release.

Member #
    Liked
    5162 times
    Of your choices I'd select the ruger.
    silverstring likes this.
    I'm from the government. I'm here to help.
    Ditch the Rail.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25794 times
    I'm no expert in the area but a look at the last few months of the TA pistol shootout will show you some interesting results.

While lei we interested in the Neos I did not buy one in the end.

FWIW - I am very pleased with the S&W 22A 7" with a TRUGLO red dot sight on the rail.

Weight, balance, sight radius - all good. Then take a look at 88keys and others shooting in cat#1 & 4!!

AND there are guns that top what any of us bring as well...
    silverstring likes this.
    If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
    .................................................. ...........................................
    Noam Chomsky

McE
    Member #
    Liked
    4736 times
    I'm a huge fan of the Browning Buckmark, which is the most direct competitor to the Rugers, and can be found with your budget.

Of the guns you've chosen, though, the Ruger is a safe bet and will hold more of its value when you're ready to sell it to move on to a Model 41
    Fishinkeylargo and Sekol like this.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Ruger sr22... very reliable, fixed barrel, switch out sized grips adjustable sights, consistent sight picture and grip training, really helps build confidence. been a fun favorite of mine for a while
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8298 times
    Ruger......Ruger.....Ruger.

I've got a 22/45 and a MK.3. Both get used for bullseye competition. I find either is extremely accurate with CCI Mini_Mags in solid nose or hollowpoint configuration. One ragged hole at 50'. The 22/45 is the lighter of the two versions. Both are durable as well.
    There are a lot of good .22lrf pistols out there to choose from.

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    I like everything about the SR22 except how they put the thumb safety on upside-down. And the magazine disconnect.

I've been looking at a mk2 22/45 or a mk3 with an aftermarket barrel to get rid of the giant loaded chamber indicator.
    silverstring and Falstaff like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3566 times
    Ruger
    silverstring likes this.
    Ostendo Non Ostendo

A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights.
    The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.” —Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg

Member #
    Liked
    17368 times
    S&W 22a, got one, love it, just make sure you get the one with the 5.5" barrel or the 7" for the most accuracy, i have the 7" and a red dot on it. The magazines are around $18-20

The ruger is also good, i have fired one, and if you like to customize, it and the 10/22 have the most options of any gun made pretty much. it is in its stock configuration it is almost as accurate as the 22a, first time with them i fired a quater group at 75 feet with the 22a and between a quarter and half dollar with the ruger, ruger also costs more, is harder to break down (look up the cleaning videos on youtube, a 22a can be taken apart and put back together in under 5 seconds, and that is with a drink break) and the rugers magazines cost about $10 more per as well

And the neos, when i was looking at them i was convinced i was going to end up buying that, but once i actually shot it, you couldn't give me one, even if you offered cash. It was very uncomfortable to grip, the magazine release is behind the trigger area and on the right side so you have to use your trigger finger to hit it (for fairness, the 22a magazine release is in the middle and front of the grip, in a recessed area, and you can hit it with either of the middle two fingers of your dominate hand, once i started using this gun, that was the best place i have ever found for a magazine release and came to wish all were like that). and the slide release on the neos, is also in a awkward place, making it where i at least, had to use my other hand to hit it, and doing so caused it to pinch my thumb, then i fired it, also at 75 feet, and it was all over the target, even braced i had trouble getting a decent group for more then 3 shots.

but, all of us, are not you two. so my suggestion is, go to a range that has rentals and has all of these, might have to go to more then one range to fit that bill, when i was shopping for a 22 semi i had the same 3 you did as my choices, and test fired all 3, the 22a was the most accurate, and comfortable. So it is what i went with. But for you and yours you might find that the 22a is the worst and the neos is the best, or the ruger, the 22a does have a wide grip so larger hands have a easier time with it, but i have had no complaints from anyone i have let shoot it, and my mom is a tiny 5ft tall with hands about half the size of mine, she loves the gun and is considering getting one herself, but she likes rifles more.

also look up cleaning and breakdowns on youtube, the rugers is "odd" to say the least
    Last edited by 53rdcard; 08-29-2014 at 03:58 AM.
    silverstring likes this.
    "Let's get on our knees and pray. I don't know to whom. Is there a patron saint of ballistics?"-Adam Savage
    Its never wrong, it just hasn't been fixed right yet. -TSH

If Guns Kill People. I guess Pencils misspell words, Cars drive drunk & Spoons make people fat.....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links