what pistol for begginer target shooting???? (ruger/walther/s&w?)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: what pistol for begginer target shooting???? (ruger/walther/s&w?)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

what pistol for begginer target shooting???? (ruger/walther/s&w?)

Greetings,

I'm looking for a fun target shooting pistol. Nothing to serious. I did a couple searches and found some good info but have a few questions....

The highly recommended ruger MK II's seem pretty cheap. Any thing i need to look for when buying used?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=117403800

Whats the difference betweek MK II and MK III? What one should i consider?
    MK II http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=117403800

MK III http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=117427749

Are the Walther P22's any good? I like the looks and feel better than the Ruger and same price range:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=117462443

What about the walther SP22?? is it a better choice?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=117412710

Also are these good target shooters out of the box? what about sights or scopes? are scopes commonly used on 22 target guns??

I work about 5 minutes from a range i can shoot free at so i plan on going during my lunch break 3-4 days a week so it will get plenty of use.

Member #
    Liked
    29224 times

Re: what pistol for begginer target shooting???? (ruger/walther/s&w?)

All the guns you've mentioned are of good quality but I'd go with the Ruger.

Why?

Because they've been making millions of reasonabily priced quality .22 pistols since 1949 and parts & service are readily available.

MOONDAWG
    VILLAGE likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

the MK II or MK III? from what i read the major differences are safety related? I like the looks of the MK III better so i may go for that if no one has any objections...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Shoot a nephews S&W 22 auto over weekend with Tasco red dot on it. I'd trade for it in a second for my P22 target. My P22's been a perfect piece for plinking and letting the kids shoot. But the S&W I could use out to 50 yards on popcan or rabbits. Sorry don't know the model number, I still have it and his M92 so I'll look at it tonight.

It did have a couple failure's to feed/fire in the 3 mags I went threw it quick on Saturday in the snow, so in that way my P22's better. But I'm sure with the right stuff & a cleaning it would be good.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Look at the Smith & Wesson 22A. It's in the same price range, and is easier to strip than a Ruger. I do like the Ruger too though. Maybe you can buy both and send me one.
    "I said do you speak'a my language... he just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich."

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Ruger MKIII moved the mag release from the heel of the grip to the left side grip. There is also, I believe a "loaded chamber" indicator on the III, absent from gen II.

My wife LOVES her MKII, for what it's worth. I think it's alot of fun too. Scary accurate.
    Takedown for cleaning is a bit "odd", but not too difficult once you get used to it. Same for both II and III.

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    -Winston Churchill

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'll put in another vote for the Ruger, but I'm biased because my first .22 autoloader was one of their 22/45 models.

The 22/45 has everything you'd like about the regular Mark II, but with the grip angle and controls of a 1911. The manual safety is in the same place as on the Ol' Slabsides, and with a 51/2" tube in front of the chamber the whole pistol acts like a teenage version of the 1911 (slightly top-heavy, compared to the real deal, but solid).

They're also drilled and tapped for Weaver scope base adaptors, if you want to do target or varmint work. Arko makes a good point about the Ruger's disassembly; it is a little weird, but if you prefer cleaning a pistol from the chamber forward, once the bolt stop/ mainspring assembly and the bolt itself are out, the entire barrel and receiver can be slid off of the frame for cleaning. That's a definite advantage in my books, and since you said you'd be at the range 3 to four days a week, the ease of access to the Ruger's action will save you time cleaning up afterwards.
    Cleaning up my Ruger was always the most fun part, anyway
    Taurus M431 .44 Spl
    Remington SPR220 20-gauge side-by-side

When pigs fly, I'm getting the shotgun.

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012

Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    824 times

If you want a semi, you can't beat the Ruger.

My usual advice, however, is to start out with a single action revolver and then get the semi later... that way you have an excuse to buy two guns instead of one.

And for the SA, I would also reccomend Ruger... the Single Six, preferable with an interchangeable .22 mag cylinder. That way, you kinda get THREE guns.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for all the input. I think i'll be going with the MK III. I enjoy the breakdown, cleaning process so it doesn't bother me. I just got out of the military and spent two years in iraq so frequent breakdown/cleaning is nothing new...

Is there anything I need to look for when buying used besides the obvious???

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by inb4thelock
    Whats the difference betweek MK II and MK III? What one should i consider?
    MK II
    A couple things. "In the name of safety", of course.

1- Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI)- A small tab protrudes from the left side (non-ejection side) of the pistol when there is a cartridge in the chamber. Be aware that early models were recalled because of the LCI, as its original design put the steel end of the LCI against the cartridge rim. Several people were able to document, on video, accidental discharges caused by lightly tapping the left side of a loaded pistol against a bench or a post.

2- Magazine disconnect- Disconnects the sear from the trigger mechanism when the magazine is not in the pistol.

3- "Child Safety Lock- On the frame near the safety lever. It's been a while since I had on apart, but if memory serves, it turns inwards and takes mainspring pressure off of the hammer strut.

The magazine safety is the easiest to do away with. Simply pull out the old hammer, hammer bushing, and magazine disconnect mechanism, and replace with a hammer and bushing from an MKII. If you purchase a Volquartsen trigger/hammer kit for the MKII, it'll replace the entire trigger/hammer/sear mechanisms, without the magazine disconnect.

The LCI is probably the next easiest to do away with. I saw a thread on another forum where a guy took an MKIII, removed the LCI mechanism from it, put a piece of tape on the inside of the receiver, then filled the slot for the LCI full of JB Weld. He sanded it flush with the rest of the receiver and finished it in black Duracoat. It looked really nice. You'd never know it was done.

The Safety Lock is pretty unobtrusive, so I'd just not use it.

I like the Ruger pistols over the Walthers. The P22s are alright, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about slides breaking. A friend of mine has one, and the accuracy just isn't on par with a Ruger. I'd say that the only S&W .22 pistols that will rival a Ruger in accuracy is the model 41.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links