Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Is blueing less "blue" now? Old vs new M10

Member #
    Liked
    291 times

Is blueing less "blue" now? Old vs new M10

Hello again all,

Id like to ask the community a question that's been burning at the back of my head as of late.

I finally got to visit the larger Gander Mountain downstate just to see what they had different from where I live, and while perusing their much more diverse stock of revolvers I noticed that the majority of the bluing finish on the new revolvers are more of a black than a "blue". I especially noticed this(among other things) on the newer S&W Model 10 revolvers. In comparison, the bluing on my model 10-10 has more of a blue-ish hue to it. Even the Taurus m66 they had looked more black, however some of the single actions(don't remember brand names) where more blue. Could it just be that the metal on my model 10 turned blue from age and use, or is this just a product of the current manufacturing process?

Just wonderin',

Thanks.

P.S.

The newer Model 10 felt a bit less hefty to for some reason
    Rossi likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11122 times
    I have to agree. The S&W 10-9 I just got done working on - had a very noticeable - almost deep navy blue finish. I haven't seen anything that blue in the last few years of new guns anyway.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    35848 times
    Change in the process.
    While not as pretty, the new finishes are more durable and more corrosion resistant.
    Rossi and gasbag like this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    33300 times
    The bluing process has changed over the years. The older guns were blued in a hot bluing process that most manufacturers no longer use for a variety of reasons. The older blue is a deeper, smoother, richer looking blue where as the newer guns are more black in color and usually not as deep or shiny. The link will give you the technical basics.

Bluing (steel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Reddrage, Rossi, rogertc1 and 1 others like this.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    1448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff View Post
    The bluing process has changed over the years. The older guns were blued in a hot bluing process that most manufacturers no longer use for a variety of reasons. The older blue is a deeper, smoother, richer looking blue where as the newer guns are more black in color and usually not as deep or shiny. The link will give you the technical basics.

Great link! Thanks for posting.
    ​III

dem·a·gogue
    /ˈdeməˌgäg/
    Noun
    A political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.

"Why Johnny Ringo....you look like someone just walked over your grave...."

USN 1987- 1995
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    7115 times
    Wow! Didn't know this about the bluing, though I also have noticed a difference. The nicest finishes I've seen have been on some of the older Colt guns, followed by S&W. Some of the old S&W's didn't have the "bright" blue finish - not quite as pretty. I like how some of the older Smith's with the bright blue can have almost a silvery shimmery look to them, Don't know if that's patina or what. My 1959 model 14 has scratches, but I'd never get it refinished, as nobody could recreate what's on it now.

Member #
    Liked
    33300 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    Wow! Didn't know this about the bluing, though I also have noticed a difference. The nicest finishes I've seen have been on some of the older Colt guns, followed by S&W. Some of the old S&W's didn't have the "bright" blue finish - not quite as pretty. I like how some of the older Smith's with the bright blue can have almost a silvery shimmery look to them, Don't know if that's patina or what. My 1959 model 14 has scratches, but I'd never get it refinished, as nobody could recreate what's on it now.
    Actually there are places that will still do the hot blue and do a beautiful job of it. Although I don't know this to be a fact personally, I have heard that the S&W Custom shop will rebuild and refinish older guns and have the ability to still do the old hot blue finishes. I've been told they are really nice. That may be BS or it may be fact. I've never had need of a reblue so I never really pursued the information any further. Besides S&W there are a number of gunsmiths that do rebluing the old fashion way and do it very nicely.
    Rossi likes this.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    The outcome of a bluing job will largely depend on the preparation. Older S&W revolvers still had a good amount of polishing that resulted in a shiny "blue". The Colt Python and Korth revolvers were polished with particular care and the Python was finished off with a leather wheel.

Ford's in Florida is one of the best bluing facilities when it comes to restoring older S&W revolvers.

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing - Ford's Desert Eagle Sights
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff View Post

The shine comes from polishing of the metal, not the bluing process.
    Here are two 1911's I've blued in the same hot bath. The only difference is that one was polished the other was bead blasted.

Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    On hot blue the shine comes from polishing, on rust blue it comes rather from that extra coat. I used 400 grit on the K98ks, they still have a nice shine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links