Dream gun for under 1k
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Dream gun for under 1k

Okay, I have a few bucks to spend and I am itchin' to buy A SINGLE gun for a CCW. I have tossed around the idea of these weapons so far:

Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Para Night hawg
    H & K USP c

What I would like to hear is YOUR dream carry gun for under 1k ( tax included ) AND WHY. <---- most important part.

Ace
    Member #
    Liked
    686 times

Re: Dream gun for under 1k

You would be hard pressed not to buy an HK in .45. Unless you have no way to pull the trigger they will fire, they will feed, and they will work whenever you need it to. Oh and the Kimber's aren't bad either but for a 100% reliable pistol, baring factory defects (and I never heard of an HK having those) go with an HK.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

If I had to have just one, I'd be picking from these four.....

#1 - S&W Model-627 Pro
    Simple... Eight rounds of .357 ah-thorah-tah, all rolled up into a tweaked concealable wheelgun. Next to the Model-327 TRR8, the closest thing there is to a "combat" revolver.

#2 - Springfield 1911-A1 GI
    Gotta have a 1911 as close to as-issued as possible, as I don't much care for the modernized compact versions.

#3 - CZ-83
    A Makarov, only better. High concealability, reliability, and adequate firepower.

#4 - Ruger SP101 .327Mag
    Just because....

It'd be a hard choice; the 1911 for it's oomph, solid design, and ability to be customized beyond all recognition?
    The S&W 627 Pro for it's power, capacity, wheelgun reliability, and Performance Shop upgrades?
    A CZ-83, because of it's near-mousegun size but very un-mousegun performance?
    Or the Ruger .327 Magnum, with it's untested yet promising cartridge?

And the winner is..... the S&W 627 Pro. I used to be all about autoloaders, but after testing out the 627 Pro & 327 TRR8, I honestly can't think of very many semiauto handguns that outclass them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

a lightly used, military surplus m249 golf

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Of the guns you listed, I would go with the 1911. But if you have 1K to spend, Sig229 all the way, the HK is not bad, But a Sig229 in 357SIG, the Secert Service and National Park rangers choose it for reason. PUNCH!! Faster than the 9mm and hits the Force of the 357 Mag. I Have the GLock 32 in 357Sig, and with FMJ its gone threw a old car door from the 50"s. I seen numbers like 1400 FPS and 800 fp in 124 grain, and faster in and harder in lower grains, As far as SIG goes, well I don't need to say much, those Germen's built great guns and cars.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Does the $1k limit include spare mags and a quality holster? Anymore I'm getting close to spending the same amount of money on those as I did on the gun.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Weaponizer is totally right. After lots of research, I came down to the SIG P229 and P239. I chose the P239 because it's smaller, more concelable, and fits my hands better. If you're a larger person, the P229 is probably better for you. I was willing to give up higher capacity for concealability--the P239 is a single stack 7+1, which is still not bad, but eventually is a drag when you're putting a lot of rounds through it at the range. BTW, in terms of concealability, the P239 is comparable to the Taurus MillPro series, which are among the best in large bore / high concealment CCWs. If your budget is 1K and you want a dream CCW, consider a P239 SAS--I wish I'd known about this model when I bought my P239. With some SIG models, you can buy a barrel kit to switch .40 S&W with .357 SIG. If you chose to go with the relatively expensive .357 SIG round, you can switch the barrel and magazines to the cheaper .40 caliber. (I'm going to do this BTW.) Alternatively you could get a .22LR conversion kit for range practice. You might also consider a P250, which has a modular design so you can change the length, grip, and caliber. SIG Sauer is expensive, but you'll be very very pleased with it.

The choice of revolver vs auto is entirely up to you; I have an SP101 .357 which I cannot part with; I think they're beautiful to look at and handle. But frankly, it's too heavy for a pocket pistol; and for accuracy I really prefer a longer barrel. I use it as a trail gun because there I don't need perfect concealment. I'd advise not to go with a snubnose unless you have a lot of practice and skill with short-barreled revolvers. Achieving any sort of accuracy beyond 7 yards with a 2" barrel is challenging. Both the S&W M327 and Taurus Tracker are on my wishlist, but I wouldn't recommend them for CCW, unless you always wear a trenchcoat!

As to caliber, with .45 ACP you can't go wrong. Personally I'm a big fan of mid-caliber, high-power rounds such as .40 S&W, .357 SIG, .357 Mag, and .38 SPL.
    "I used a freakin' 12 gauge, what d'ya think?" - Napoleon Dynamite

Member #
    Liked
    283 times

this is really hard cause i dont have a "dream carry gun" i'd like a milpro but thats hardly 1k.. and i'd also like a beretta 92 steel-i, but those are hard to find nib for under 1k.. i might beable to find a used one for that price though.

a beretta 92 inox brigadier could be had for under 1k.. nib even though they're no longer made..

i guess i'd go with a px4sc..

although i kinda have a thing for the SA EMP

they go for around 1k.. perhaps afew bucks over.. overpriced imo but they look nice.

If you can't shoot well, shoot often.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7198 times

If I had $1000 to blow right now, I'd go get a Kahr PM9 or PM40. At least, that's what I want to pick from. :P

PM9 9mm Luger
    5.3" L x 4.0" H x 0.9" W @ 15.9 oz. unloaded
    http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html

PM40 .40 S&W
    5.35" L x 4.0" H x 0.94" W @ 16.9 oz. unloaded
    http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_40sw_pm.html

I'd really go with the PM9 because it is smaller and lighter than my Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite which already fits in my pockets really well. Plus it can hold 2 or 3 more cartridges of more powerful 9mm than my .38 Special snubby.
    NRA Life Member

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7198 times

So, MtsMan, what cha gonna pick?
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links