AR Lower Conundrum - 458 Socom or Other?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: AR Lower Conundrum - 458 Socom or Other?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46081 times

AR Lower Conundrum - 458 Socom or Other?

In process of selling off the 300 BLK 16" upper as it's redundant with the 300 BLK 10" pistol and the plan was to keep the lower (Multi) to mount a 458 SOCOM upper on it. Now re-thinking that plan due to any perceived "need" for a blaster like that, the cost of ammo, brass, bullets, dies, powder, etc. I'd probably end up having to modify the stock PSA lower anyway with a heavier buffer/spring and perhaps a recoil reducing stock.

Considering other options for the lower. 7.62 x 39 is one but why? Need new magazines and would get something similar to the 300 BLK I'm selling. 6.5 Creedmoor but I'm not into long distance shooting.

Or just sell it and use the proceeds toward a new lever gun or SAA .357 Magnum? Not crazy about hassling with FFL's again and doing that dance, besides an AR lower may just keep increasing in value.

Another option would be to wait for upper components to become available and a glut on the market again and build a new 5.56 upper. That would be redundant also as I have a 16" on hand already.

Open for suggestions and I suppose it's a nice problem to have.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    7086 times
    Probably get more interest in the AR forum....

If you want something different research Sharps 25/45. I have one and really enjoy it. It uses 556/223 bcg, magazines, and reloads using the same brass with no modifications. Shoots very flat (6 inch drop at 300 yards) and delivers great accuracy.

Ammunition is available about a dollar per round or reload your own using 25/45 dies (about 45 dollars for the set).

People who have no experience will have an opinion but watch and read reviews from people who actually own the gun.

Just a thought....

Don
    Are we the only country dumb enough to start a second civil war because we are offended by the first one?

Member #
    Liked
    1838 times
    The lower you have will work fine with .458 socom with out any modifications. I have a stock PSA lower on mine with original spring and buffer and no issues. I use Berry bullets ($118 for 500 bullets) with starline brass ($74.00 for 100). After initial cost for brass I calculated it cost me $.37.5 Cents a round to reload.
    Last edited by Taurus1965; 07-26-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    tobywan45, darbo and Czechbikr like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28421 times
    czech, heck IF you want something not redundant and different then i say get you a 9 MM upper, then have it reamed and chambered in 38 Super!
    plus I bet you can get ammo for it even in times like now!
    I beat a true 38 super plus P out of a 16 inch barrel would be awesome!
    No---NO don't go thanking me now, what are friends for!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stroker likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    3365 times
    Let me muddy the waters. I've played with .458 SOCOM and .450 Bushmaster.

I prefer the Bushmaster because of the ability to use .451/.452 pistol bullets over .458. The reason is more reliable expansion of the pistol bullets over the rifle bullets. When you lose too much velocity with .458 the expansion is inconsistent.

In addition, at least in my state, the Bushmaster is a legal deer cartridge. Both will put a world hurt on game. Logistics wise, I load .45 ACP, .45 Colt, and .454 Casull. I can and have used bullets meant for them in the .450 Bushmaster. You give up nothing going to the Bushmaster, and you gain versatility.

I should add, I had sold both uppers a while back, and recently had the opportunity to buy the .450 back. I'd kept the .450 dies and sold the .458. There are a lot of new loading data for the Bushmaster over the SOCOM.

Maloy

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/06/1...-vs-458-socom/

https://gunsmagazine.com/rifles/450-...-or-458-socom/
    Last edited by maloy; 07-26-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    darbo, Czechbikr and Stroker like this.

Member #
    Liked
    20631 times
    I'm just a fan of being redundant with guns, 2 of the same caliber, model, etc. Personally I would keep the lower for any, future use and work on buying the lever gun or .357.
    maloy, BigBlue and Czechbikr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3365 times
    You bring up another another idea. The .350 Legend is a .357/.358 bullet. The Legend is very close to the old .357 MAX.

I really wish Marlin would do a lever in .357 MAX. ARE YOU LISTENING REMINGTON!!!

Maloy

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I'm just a fan of being redundant with guns, 2 of the same caliber, model, etc. Personally I would keep the lower for any, future use and work on buying the lever gun or .357.
    BigBlue and Davidk0031 like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46081 times
    After I wrote this I thought about the 9mm upper for the AR lower. I fired Konyo312's at the McHenry range and it makes a lot of sense for range and SD purposes, either a carbine length or pulling the stock off the Multi and getting a pistol length barrel.

The drawback is that I have a PCC with the Hi-Point 995 TS which is reliable and accurate. It doesn't however go beyond a 20 round capacity.

I also like the Sharps idea for the use of components that I already have. A set of dies and I'm on my way. It the 300 BLK upper doesn't sell, I could even swap barrels on that upper and use the receiver, BCG and CH and have a new gun. Sell off just the 300 BLK barrel to offset cost.

The 450 Bushmaster also makes sense as I load 45 ACP and could utilize bullets across the platforms.

I will move this to the AR forum which is where I should have put it in the first place (pre-coffee)
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post
    You bring up another another idea. The .350 Legend is a .357/.358 bullet. The Legend is very close to the old .357 MAX.

I really wish Marlin would do a lever in .357 MAX. ARE YOU LISTENING REMINGTON!!!

Maloy
    There's a better chance seeing that from Henry.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    8005 times
    I have been toying with either a 450 Bushmaster or a 50 Beowulf upper for fun.

to you olfarhors for even suggesting a .38 super rifle to my brain.Although a 8.5 - 10.5 ar pistol would be the bee's knees.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    Vengeance is mine sayeth the .45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links