• 1 Post By Czechbikr
  • 1 Post By olfarhors

Thread: Wrestling With Keeping The 300 BLK Carbine

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45439 times

Wrestling With Keeping The 300 BLK Carbine

Pros and cons if you please. Keeping in mind that I also own a 300 BLK 10.5" pistol and a 5.56 Carbine as well as a 5.56 7" pistol. I'm long in the MSR category and the 300 BLK carbine doesn't see the light of day very often. (Truth be told none of then get out much and I need to work on that)

The upper is a Radical Firearms to the specs below and it's mated to a PSA lower. My initial thought was to sell the carbine complete with BCG and then hesitated as I've considered getting set up with 458 SOCOM. Then I thought why not sell the upper only with or without the BCG and keep the lower for a future foray into the big bore territory. To further complicate things, I saw a sale on the 458 SOCOM barrel only and figured that I could just swap the 300 BLK barrel out, flare out the ejection port and have my blaster. The 300 BLK barrel could then go on the selling block.

Given the parameters which way would you go? I know there are some who will say keep them all, but there may be a point of saturation being reached here.

The RF specs:

The Radical Firearms 16" HBAR profile 300BLK is a MIL-STD upper ready to drop on any MIL-STD lower Receiver. Perfect for the novice or advanced shooter wanting to finish out that build and hit the range.Simply add your BCG,charging handle and you are ready to go. Built with our 12" FGS free float rail system for increased accuracy and keeping your hands cool. No matter what your style of shooting is, Radical Firearms has you covered.SKU: FU16-300HBAR-12FGS
    UPC: 814034024655
    MFR#: RF00248

• Barrel Length: 16"
    • Gas System: Pistol Length
    • Barrel Profile: HBAR Profile
    • Barrel Material: 4140 Chrome Moly Vanadium
    • Barrel Finish: Melonite
    • Muzzle Thread: 5/8x24
    • Chamber: 300BLK
    • Twist Rate: 1:8
    • Barrel Extension: M4 Feed Ramp
    • Gas Block Type: .750 Low-profile Gas Block
    • Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider
    • Upper Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
    • Upper Receiver Style: M4 Mil-Std
    • Upper Receiver Finish: Type III Anodizing
    • Forward Assist: Yes
    • Dust Cover: Yes
    • Handguard Type: Free Float
    • Handguard Style: Magpul MOE Round Rail
    • Handguard Length: 12"

and a photo of the gun in question...on the hoof.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    20541 times
    I don't know a lot about 300blk. I may have misread the info but a 16" barrel has a pistol length gas system?

In general 300blk doesn't do much for me. Keep the lower and get yourself set up for the .458SOCOM.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I don't know a lot about 300blk. I may have misread the info but a 16" barrel has a pistol length gas system?

In general 300blk doesn't do much for me. Keep the lower and get yourself set up for the .458SOCOM.
    I wondered about the shorter gas tube length initially also. I wondered if it was for sub-sonic rounds. I've only fired full power 147 grain FMJ reloads through it, nothing over powered, and it ran fine with those. It's probably got less than 200 rounds down the pipe.
    darbo likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    28223 times
    My 300 set up is totally different than yours and for a totally different use-- Home protection, its a 7.5 inch barrel and I only shoot sub sonic out of it, it has a simple red dot on it.
    for me its about the most fun lil gun to shoot since my first 22 rifle.
    Guess you can tell mine is staying right where it is.
    I can identify with firearm over load however, them pistols seem to breed and multiply for me.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Sponsored Links