Adventures with the AR10 .308
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Adventures with the AR10 .308

Member #
    Liked
    20541 times

Adventures with the AR10 .308

So the adventure has come to halt for now. The results I'm getting are just not good. I sent an email to Aero Precision last night so will see what they have to say.

I will never claim to be or will never make my living as a sniper. Having said that I can shoot some ok groups at 100yds with a low end AR15 and moderate cost scope. Groups in the past were shot using a Caldwell bag and my left hand as the rear support. Now I'm using a CTK Precision rest. Pretty snazzy and stable stuff. It was a gift!

I'm not going to bore you with gobs and gobs of numbers and all that stuff. I will go through a quick run down of the powders and bullets used. And the brass is all once, maybe twice, fired Federal brass for my reloads. I have also ran some, maybe 140rds, Federal American Eagle 147gr, Magtech 149 gr and some Federal Gold Match ammo through the gun.

The 2 powders used are Winchester 748 and CFE223. Bullets used in my loads are Sierra 168gr Tipped Game King, Hornady 150 FMJ/cannelure, Hornady 150gr SST/cannelure. These number are all from the Hornady projectiles. I didn't get enough chrono numbers from the Sierra TGK loads from a couple weeks ago. At the good end of the spectrum I had ES numbers of 13, 17, 18 FPS. At the lesser end of the spectrum and I had ES of 54, 52, 45, 55, 37, 42, 36, 51, 67, and 33. I had 1 group that had a weak round in it and the ES 112FPS. Not sure what happened with that one cartridge! All of these were 5 shot groups. So really nothing to write home about but not horrible either. At least I hope not! If those numbers are bad let me know. Maybe I need to stick with factory ammo.

Now for the bad part. At one point I was able to put together a 3 shot group, out of an intended 5 shot group, with the Federal Gold Match ammo, that was about 1.5". Other than that I was never able to put together a 5 shot group that was less than 4", and often up to 6". This is at 100yds. And in those large groups there were never any hits that were close, the hits were all over the place. Not like they were favoring a particular location. Yes the scope and base were mounted firmly ( I learned that one several years ago ).

Again, I just don't think I'm that crappy of a shooter. I'm not a happy shooter.

Member #
    Liked
    5325 times
    Does the barrel have rifling in it?
    darbo and GhostHorse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3877 times
    Man Darbo, that's not good. Damn strange. A co-worker of mine has an Aero Precision AR-10 he built, well, mostly Aero stuff anyways, and he is getting sub-MOA all day long with that rifle. It's not a head-space problem or anything is it? I ask because the AR-10 really has no "Milspec" design features, unlike the AR-15, so to put one together, I guess you have to really pay attention as to what you are doing....this coming from said co-worker of mine.

Keep us posted!
    Last edited by taurustoter; 06-14-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    darbo likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33393 times
    I'm not going to make suggestions because I know you're a good enough shooter to have tried everything I would think of. I think contacting them is the right idea. You might have something going on in the chamber or maybe the bolt carrier group, and I'd sure want to have them take a look at it. AR's are just too expensive to not deliver solid accuracy, especially an AR-10. That gun should be accurate to 800 yards and likely much more.
    taurustoter, darbo and william like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    20541 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    Does the barrel have rifling in it?
    Good question. I know I have looked in the barrel couldn't really tell you for a fact if it does or not!

Member #
    Liked
    20541 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    Man Darbo, that's not good. Damn strange. A co-worker of mine has an Aero Precision AR-10 he built, well, mostly Aero stuff anyways, and he is getting sub-MOA all day long with that rifle. It's not a head-space problem or anything is it? I ask because the AR-10 really has no "Milspec" design features, unlike the AR-15, so to put one together, I guess you have to really pay attention as to what you are doing....this coming from said co-worker of mine.

Keep us posted!
    Well I was kind of expecting some decent accuracy too. I should add that I bought the complete assembled upper and their BCG so I didn't put anything together, just stick the upper and lower together. I need to do some more inspection of some cases. I have the Hornady cartridge headspace gauge bushing set and need to do some more checking this evening. I don't have a specific headspace go/no go gauge.

Back to the accuracy thing. My buddy built an A1, is that right, AR15 with the triangular handguard and 20" barrel and all that stuff. He used the Aero Precision barrel and it's a great rifle!
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20541 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    I'm not going to make suggestions because I know you're a good enough shooter to have tried everything I would think of. I think contacting them is the right idea. You might have something going on in the chamber or maybe the bolt carrier group, and I'd sure want to have them take a look at it. AR's are just too expensive to not deliver solid accuracy, especially an AR-10. That gun should be accurate to 800 yards and likely much more.
    Thanks. I agree, I spent a fair amount of money on this setup. Not huge money but for me it was quite a bit! I'll be interested to see the response I get from Aero.

Member #
    Liked
    20541 times
    I just took some measurements using the Hornady headspace gauge.

I used 3 samples of each and the numbers are averaged over the 3 sample pieces. The 2 factory brands are .005-.006 difference from my fire formed brass. My reloads only have .001 difference from the fired brass. Are my reloads still a little too long? I will add that none of the factory rounds have been all that accurate either...nothing has been!

Member #
    Liked
    20541 times
    Ok so I took a little more time this evening with doing some head space measurements. I know y'all are getting tired of this but I'm trying to figure out why this gun isn't more accurate than what it is. Yes I know it's most likely the nut behind the trigger! I really don't think I'm that bad!

The headspace measurements I took this morning were kind of quick while I was slurping down some coffee. This evening I went through 20+ pcs. of fire formed brass and got a range of 1.628 to 1.632. Is .004 difference considered normal on brass fired from the same gun? This is all Federal American Eagle brass.

On the 5pcs of reloads I got 1.6285 (on 1 round) and 1.629 on the other 4 cartridges. That seems pretty darn good to me. Granted I may want to bump them back a tiny bit more. But I will say that the factory Federal ammo at 1.619 is equally as inaccurate as any of my loads.

I did shine a flashlight down the barrel. I don't know how deep the rifling should be but maybe I'm not impressed with the depth! Otherwise the chrome lining looked good from what I can see.

I plan on putting the one scope back on the AR15, that I stole it from, and see if my shooting just sucks that much.

Anyway, I think that's all I have to bug you guys with until I hear from Aero. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by darbo; 06-16-2020 at 04:33 AM. Reason: typo
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    That thing should shoot pebbles with better accuracy than what you are getting. Either the barrel is NG or something is loose maybe barrel, stock, scope or something. Good luck with it.
    darbo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links