Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: My AR makeover

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33077 times

My AR makeover

It all started when I got rid of the old red dot scope and put a Nikon Prostaff on it that I found for sale for $150 at Bass Pro. I mounted the new scope, got it sighted in, and while it worked fine, i had to crane my neck down too far for it to be comfortable when I shoot it. I went a couple of weeks ago to shoot it and it all came back to me, how I need to do something about the height of the scope, and I decided to do some other things too that I have been thinking about but hadn't really taken any action on yet. First, I bought a 1 inch riser for my scope. It made it where I can tilt my head, not crane my neck, it's perfect now. I kept going though, and ordered a small red dot scope and a 45 degree mount that would allow me to put the new red dot on at an angle, next to the primary scope. I got both the mount and the scope the next day and installed it, it took some figuring out where I wanted what, but it's perfect for me now. I shoot rifle left handed, by the way. I also decided to ace the stick foregrip and I bought a low profile foregrip, just got that today and I like it much better than the other one.

Some pics below. It still amazes me how different my AR looks now than it did before. I really like this build.

-
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33077 times
    And some more pics....

-
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

Member #
    Liked
    732 times
    That's an interesting set up. You can do long range and CQB. I may have to try that out.
    texastaurusguy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33077 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_Doc View Post
    That's an interesting set up. You can do long range and CQB. I may have to try that out.
    Yes, turn the rifle 1/8th of a turn sideways and you're using the red dot. I like it a lot.

Sent from my extremely smart phone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    20406 times
    Looks good! It'll definitely get the job done!

Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Clever set up. Nice looking heater. (Don't shoot the Krups)

Member #
    Liked
    6949 times
    That is what is cool about the AR platform, you can make almost any way you want.
    texastaurusguy and Czechbikr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28079 times
    YEP!!
    Women buy new purses and shoes , Men buy new AR parts!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    I built my third AR to be my scoped, long range gun. It has a full M-Lock hand guard and 1:8 twist. My dilemma is that I have built AR #4 & #5 and still have not purchased a scope for build #3. I have never been a hunter and know very little about scopes. I would like to hit targets in the 200 to 300 yard range. I also do not want to pay more for my scope than for my AR. Would your Nikon Prostaff scope meet that criteria?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33077 times
    You could likely do what you wanted with this scope or one similar to it. I'm not sure how good I could hit a small circle on the target at that distance, but with practice I'm sure it could be done.

When I built this AR, I had an A2 front sight on it and my brother in law was punching out the center of the target at 100 yards with those iron sights. I said that's incredible, and he said that in the Marines they did that out to 500 yards, with the iron sights.
    william likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links