Taurus Firearm Forum banner

.50 Beowulf

3K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Fishinkeylargo 
#1 ·
Anyone shooting the .50 Beowulf in the AR platform? Been thinking of picking one up just for range fun. Seeing some pretty good deals on complete uppers right now.

#4 ·
Think I'm going to buy a complete upper and build a lower for it.

#5 ·
A friend has a bolt action table rifle in the beowulf and it is a ball of fun.I have been watching them on GB for a while.e a little too long and it never got relisted.If I find the right deal on a complete rifle I will get one.Otherwise I may do an upper and swap to one of my lowers.

#6 ·
Trying to decide on a traditional AR-15 action or the side charging version. Guess I need to watch some more YouTube videos. I think ultimately it is just a preference.

Reactions: Yissnakk and darbo
#8 ·
Enough chatting I just ordered one with a side charging handle. Like the idea of having something slightly different. Now the wait, who knows how long it will take. They already state 1-14 days before shipping and no idea if the current situation will delay that. Now to decide if I want to order some factory ammo to start or just order dies and brass. Already have bullets, powder and primers to do reloads.

#10 ·
Dang, got an email last night item shipped, estimated to be here Friday. Now if I wanted it here right away I'm sure it would have been delayed. :rolleyes:

#11 · (Edited)
Found a decent deal on ammo so I ordered 60 rounds. That should be enough for the first range trip and will give me brass to reload. Also ordered a few big bore followers for a few of my AR-15 magazines for more reliable feeding.

Wonder if I can use my .500 S&W dies to reload the .50 Beowulf. Guess I'll have to check the reloading forums online. Edit That would be a no. The .50 Beowulf has a slight taper of .010" from neck to base.

Reactions: Yissnakk
#13 ·
Upper just came in. Pictures taken while UPS driver still unloading truck. :) When I get home I need to fit it to one of my uppers and check to see if I have an H2 buffer as required.

Grass Fence Table Furniture Wood

Fence Metal Rectangle

Gun Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel

#14 ·
Magazine followers will be here tomorrow.
Ammo still has not shipped. Called local shop they don't have any. :( Guess no shooting it this weekend.

#15 ·
Put the .50 Beowulf upper on the basic lower I have from a fun budget AR build I did. Looks good however I think I may want to build an A2 rifle stock lower for it. What do you think, would the A2 rifle stock lower look better?

Tree Trunk Wood Woody plant Plant

#16 ·
Magazine followers came in today as well. Ordered 3 and swapped out followers in 3 magazines. Here is a picture of the new follower vs original .223 follower both in and out of the magazine. New follower is back and helps keep the cartridges centered in single stack form compared to a typical double stack .223 magazine.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Auto part Compact car

#18 ·
Yes Bear Creek. I read about using a Dremel on the magazines. When I get ammo, hopefully next week, I'll load some up and see if I need to use the Dremel.

#19 ·
I like that AR platform as is ! :thumb: Looks like you're gonna be having some real fun once that ammo comes in.

#21 ·
Looks good, I was thinking of going .458 however I ultimately decided it would be better for me to go with the .50. This will be a range gun and I can share powder and bullets with both my .50 AE and .500 S&W mag. So I gave up a little better performance in my opinion for convenience. If I was planning on hunting I would have gone with the .458 I think.

#25 ·
Here is a photo of one of my Lancer magazines. Note the half moon cut out and the angle of the round in magazine. I had to adjust some of the feed lips on my GI. mags to accomplish this. View attachment 459251 View attachment 459253
Did you just bend the feed lips? I have read online where people have either bent them of filed them with the GI mags. Think I'm going to try bending mine. I read in a couple places the magic number for the front of the feed lips is .058" apart. Will wait until the ammo comes in before I start messing with the feed lips.

#26 ·
Hey Fish - you will almost certainly need to go fixed stock for that beast. My .458 Socom collapsed my Magpul adjustable stock with each shot (it held for two rounds then started collapsing with each round fired thereafter). I just went with this guy here: https://www.opticsplanet.com/magpul-industries-moe-fixed-stock.html

Liked the look better than standard A2 - also - HEAVY Buffer!

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
#27 ·
I'll check it out. After looking around I don't want to go with the A2 either. I still have not ordered anything for a dedicated lower, can't make up my mind.

#28 · (Edited)
I bent them with regular pliers. Just need to tweak toward the front of feed lip's a tiny bit and the rear even less. Does not take much force. Go in small increments and keep checking by loading a round. Do not open lips to much or when mag is fully loaded the first round may pop out of magazine. Just need the round tilted slightly (Nose up). I am using a PSA lower w/ collapsible stock and have had no problems through about 100 rounds.

#29 · (Edited)
Food came in today. :) Hopefully this evening I can have time to work on the mags. Not holding my breath as last nights plans got derailed as well.

Glass bottle Brass Ammunition Bottle Drink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.