Any AR pistol fans?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Any AR pistol fans?

Member #
    Liked
    5413 times

Any AR pistol fans?

I've been looking a lot lately at some AR pistols I find really interesting. I know that there are not a lot of AR pistol fans out there but I would be interested to hear any feedback from those here that have owned one or know anything about the platform. Building one is probably not a option at this point as I do not yet have the expertise or time to complete a project like that so my preference is to just buy one ready to go out of the box. Both the Springfield Saint and Sig M400 are very attractive but I think a bit out of my price range. Palmetto looks interesting with the Shockwave but I also like the ATI Omni Hybrid Maxx and its only $350 or so. So... any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
    silverstring likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - Hi-Point 995TS - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    4260 times
    ATI Omni Hybrid Maxx - The biggest complaint I found is the use of Polymer uppers and lowers and the potential for breaking at the buffer tube. They/ATI seem to have fixed this issue with the addition of metal/zink/zamak reinforcements at the perceived weak points. I Do NOT own one, but I am interested in getting one now that they have a LIFETIME Warranty on the Polymer parts. I would also like to see any feedback from actual owners rather than pro/paid reviewers.... What would the maximum round counts be for the poly upper and lower ...

https://www.americantactical.us/warranty.html
    chefduane and bertha like this.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

Member #
    Liked
    1398 times
    Never really warmed up to the poodle shooter round or the AR platform. With current saturation of the AR market, there ought to be lots of deals to be had.

I'm more inclined towards a short .30 cal. carbine with an underfolder stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    579 times
    My AR is not a pistol, but it does have the Omni Hybrid lower. I've got couple thousand rounds downrange with no odd wear on any of the parts. I like the hybrid lower because it makes the rifle a little nose heavy, stays on target pretty well in rapid fire.
    chefduane likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    783 times

I have a good 300 Blackout with a Leupold 1-4 scope

Look hard at the caliber first. The 5.56X45mm is less than ideal in a shorter barrel pistol.

Look over the CMMG caliber.

https://www.cmmginc.com/product-category/banshee/

22LR
    5.7X28mm
    9mm
    40 S&W
    10mm
    .45 ACP
    5.56X45mm
    6.5 Grendel
    300 BLK
    7.62X39mm
    308 Win
    458 SOCOM

Some calibers are more optimal in an AR pistol. There are an array of considerations:

1. Caliber for your use
    2. Barrel length to determine how compact you want it
    3. Manufacturer quality and options
    4. Ammo performance and cost (add ammo availability to that)
    5. Your budget
    6. What you will add to the pistol (manufacturer’s options are important)
    7. A well thought out plan for its use
    A. Range toy
    B. Home defense
    C. Hunting (varmints to pigs to deer)
    D. Other

My son uses his 300 Blackout for pigs with a suppressor. Ammo selection is critical as he found out. Supersonic velocities are better for pigs and deer. Mine is for home defense, varmints, and close range deer hunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    chefduane likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11142 times
    AR Pistols are very popular around here. There are several very good threads on them here on Taurus Armed.

These are my 9mm AR pistols
    Name:  9mmARs.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  96.9 KB

This is my .300BLK
    Name:  300BLK7.5.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  96.1 KB

You don't need any skills to build an AR pistol, any more than you need skills to build an AR. If you are building a rifle caliber AR pistol, you just need a pistol lower and any AR upper. I would advise against a .223/5.56 pistol upper as they are extremely loud and throw a long flame, even the blast from any thing other than a flash can can seriously harm you, or those around you. Pistol Caliber AR pistols are good, and even easier to build (no gas tube or gas block), but I would match my upper and lower receivers due to the diversity in designs right now.

I like .300BLK subs in my AR pistol, but even .300BLK supersonics are not bad. Ask Olfarhors, I talked him into a .300BLK pistol shooting subs for home defense and he loves the thing.

If you just don't want to assemble anything, there are still two ways to get them, either purchase a complete AR pistol, or buy a complete pistol lower and a complete pistol upper. If you can field strip your AR for cleaning, you can put an upper and lower together.

I prefer a complete AR from PSA over any of the assembled brands because I know PSA uses full MILSPEC parts without cutting corners, like I see on most brand name basic ARs. Rumor for quite some time has been that PSA parts are defense contract over runs from FN, which is not far away. Some complete uppers come with or without BCG and Charging handle. This is not a bad thing if you have your eye on a particular aftermarket CH, or a BCG with a coating. Again, if you can field strip your AR for cleaning, you can install these parts.
    vboy36 and chefduane like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    11142 times
    Just taking a look at stuff on sale at the moment on PSA, here is a good AR pistol in .300BLK:

Complete Lower ($170): https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ba3-lower.html
    Name:  SB3 Stealth Pistol Lower.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  9.8 KB

Complete Upper minus BCG and CH ($200): https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...no-bcg-ch.html
    Name:  300aac_marauder_1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  7.8 KB

Nitrided BCG ($55): https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446953.html
    Name:  nitride-bcg.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  7.9 KB

I don't see a Charging Handle on sale right now but a MILSPEC CH runs about $15, or you can get an enhanced CH, like from BCM, for around $35 and up.
    chefduane and terryb like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    11142 times
    Here is a complete that has all the stuff I look for in an AR pistol.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449807.html

Name:  5165449807a.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  11.1 KB

It has a nitrided barrel, this is vastly superior to a phosphate coated barrel, or a chrome lined barrel. and as good IMO as a stainless steel barrel.
    It has a Flash Can suppressor. Any of my AR with short barrels have a flash can for safety.
    It has a handguard that partially covers the flash can, so if in the future you put a silencer on it, it partially sits inside the handguard, rather than just hanging on the end of the barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    11363 times
    I got mine from PSA, it had a 10.5 inch barrel, a 7.5 inch forearm, chambered in 556 with a 1 and 7 twist and a SB tactical brace. It cost in the low $500 range. It was fun and very accurate, But my gunshow friend wanted it, so I sold it for $550. Things to consider:

Recent change in ATF guidelines regarding upgrades - I was able to mount a Vertical Foregrip on mine at the time, because it measured 27" from front of barrel (not flash hider) to rear of the non adj SBA3. Now that is not allowed. The new measurement is 26" from receiver butt to front of barrel. But it is still legal to use a angled foregrip.

I upgraded the flash hider to a Kaw compensator to assist with muzzle rise and noise coming back to the user.

Installed a Bushnell TRS25 as my optic (co-witnessed with a 1"riser to the sites)

I carried mine in a Tennis Racket bag and 3 Magazines. One 20 rounder and two 30 rounders

It will be your most fun to shoot rifle, so buy lots of ammo. This platform is ideal for home defense/plinking and small varmints. I would not use on Deer or pigs (you could but one shot kills are a challenge). For larger game minimum is 300 blackout, or any of the large bore platforms. My buddy built a 8.5 inch 6.5 grendel for his son, it is a deer slayer. However the optic he used weighs almost as much as the rifle, it is a high end night vision model with more computing power than most desktop PC's. Needless to say his AR pistol looks wild with that huge optic on it. But it is a tack driver for him up to 400 yards.
    chefduane likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    I bought a complete AR 300 Blackout pistol from PSA and really glad I did. Fun to shoot. I plan to get it to the range Sunday or Monday. 8.5 inch barrel.

Last edited by vboy36; 10-19-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    chefduane likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links