Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: AR Pistol Question

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16775 times

AR Pistol Question

I've put together AR pistols using buffers that came with the builder sets, never really paying much attention to the buffer weight. I've been reading lately that the pistols should be using a heavier 5 oz buffer rather than the 3 oz buffers that have been coming with the build kits. I currently have two pistols, 9MM and 7.62x39. Should I be using the heavier buffers, or do you think the 3 oz buffers will do? I've been firing both at the range with no real problems, but will the lighter buffer lead to problems?
    Konyo312 likes this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times
    If the pistols are performing okay I wouldn't change a thing. The only reason to change might be if you were having ejection problems etc. Of course there could be several reasons for that too. The lighter buffer will not cause you any problems later on. This is a classic "if it ain't broke" situation.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7635 times
    Agree with Tony - if your brass is ejecting cleanly to the 3-4PM arc and isn't looking chewed up from the ejector then I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    TonyC2639 and CJS3 like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7635 times
    To qualify my previous statement, I have standard 3oz buffers on both of my .300 BLK pistols - but do not have any further AR pistol calibers.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    26965 times
    I have NO idea what weight buffer thats on my AR pistol 300 BO with 7.5 inch barrel, its what ever Palmetto State put in it?
    I wanted a specific sub sonic able weapon for possible home defense and so have just worked up loads that are that and operate 100% with the gun.
    now some of the loads were so light that the spend case litterly dropped right at my feet, but they ejected and shot fine, just would not lock the bolt back and a couple fallure to strip ammo from the magazine.
    MY thing about changing buffers is what happens when /IF you decide to use a different weight/ power projecrile?
    I mean i am not going to change buffers everytime i want to shoot a different ammo for a different purpose.
    course I could be waaay off base with my opinon on this.
    TonyC2639 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    10928 times
    On the .300BLK you always want to go as light as possible on the buffer and BCG for the subs. Getting enough gas to operate the action is more often the issue there.

On the 9mm, they are almost always blow backs, so the BCG is on the heavy side and the buffer is usually around 8.0 ounces. You can actually regulate rate of fire with the weight of the buffer by going up or down. A carbine (3 OZ.) buffer is a little too light if you intend to shoot anything other than target rounds and it will bottom out in the tube sometimes with hotter rounds. I ran a 8.4 OZ. buffer for a while on one of my 9mm ARs but it was too slow, actually so slow it induced malfunctions and I switched to a PSA 9mm buffer (8 OZ) which resolved the reliability issues. On the plus side of running lighter buffers in a 9mm, is that there is less weight moving back and forth so the recoil is a little lighter and you may get and stay on target a little quicker, and it increases the rate of fire, although mine fires as fast as I can pull the trigger now with an 8 OZ buffer.

The 7.62x39 AK round in an AR is still a DI operated action, so a carbine buffer should be fine. I assume you are only shooting super sonic rounds I have not heard of anyone shooting subsonic with the AK round. Subs with the AK round will have the same issue as the .300BLK in getting enough gas to operate it, and, of course, the gas port would need to be pistol length.
    CJS3 likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16775 times
    The 9mm has me more concerned than the 7.62. I may get the heavier buffer just for firing that upper. Like I said I'm using the same lower for all my pistol uppers and changing a buffer is actually just as easy as changing the upper.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    10928 times
    This is the PSA 9mm Buffer (8 OZ), it is out of stock at the moment, but when I purchased mine it was about $15, if I remember.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446103.html
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    1569 times
    As you get playing with more calibers and more ammo you may find that you wish you had a different buffer for different calibers and ammo. That could get a bit costly having several different buffers.

This is one of the nicest adjustable buffers on the market. About the cost of 3 good buffers but you can have many more with this one.

https://www.kakindustry.com/shockwav...-buffer-system

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16775 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    This is the PSA 9mm Buffer (8 OZ), it is out of stock at the moment, but when I purchased mine it was about $15, if I remember.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446103.html
    Quote Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
    As you get playing with more calibers and more ammo you may find that you wish you had a different buffer for different calibers and ammo. That could get a bit costly having several different buffers.

This is one of the nicest adjustable buffers on the market. About the cost of 3 good buffers but you can have many more with this one.

https://www.kakindustry.com/shockwav...-buffer-system
    After PSA sold out I put in a notification for when they get restocked. Since it's been a few days with no joy, I'm assuming the restocked items will be at the prices I've been seeing for similar items on other websites. I'd rather stick with a single weight buffer vs an adjustable one to simplify change out. An 8 oz buffer should work with both 9mm and 45acp. A local gun shop has a wide selection of heavy buffers and I may just go there. No shipping, but sales tax applied. Even so, I like going in to browse so I might as well give them some more of my business.
    morrcarr67 and GreenWolf70 like this.

I still plan to vote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links