Pistol AR's
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree289Likes

Thread: Pistol AR's

Member #
    Liked
    3806 times

Pistol AR's

I've been eyeing the pistol AR a lot for the last few years and now that I find myself back in a gun friendly state, thinking about making the jump. It seems to me that an AR pistol with a "brace" has a lot more real world application to me than something significantly longer like a full length AR or rifle, especially in urban and indoor scenarios. Currently I have my eye on the Springfield Armory Saint in 300 BO and am wondering how many here have any experience with pistol AR's and what their opinions might be on the subject?

The reviews on it are pretty glaringly positive, and the price tag isn't bad at all.
    Yissnakk, pegasus and CJS3 like this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Jump on it. The KAK braces are fantastic and really help with pistol shooting stability. I love mine. Super handy size for what you end up with. I found the original Sig brace, while innovative, was far too unwieldy and cumbersome and heavy. There's some other braces out there but I only know/experience the KAK which is light and flat profile. I really like it.

Keep in mind that some owners report reliability of cycling suffers with barrels under 10" so I'd stick with 10" or prepare to make mods to ensure reliability.
    Zen Ape and Yissnakk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3806 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
    Jump on it. The KAK braces are fantastic and really help with pistol shooting stability. I love mine. Super handy size for what you end up with. I found the original Sig brace, while innovative, was far too unwieldy and cumbersome and heavy. There's some other braces out there but I only know/experience the KAK which is light and flat profile. I really like it.

Keep in mind that some owners report reliability of cycling suffers with barrels under 10" so I'd stick with 10" or prepare to make mods to ensure reliability.
    That was a big factor of my looking at the 300 as opposed to the .223, as the 300 seems to work well and burns its powder in much shorter barrels reliably compared to the .223 which needs a lot more runway to not only get down range with good ballistics, but also create enough gas for pressure to make the firearm function properly.
    Yissnakk, terryb and GreenWolf70 like this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2201 times
    I don't own an AR Pistol, but I doubt that will stop anyone else from posting, so I'd like to take this opportunity to preemptively address many of the things the common nay-sayer who also doesn't own an AR Pistol will likely tell you. (Not that there are necessarily any nay-sayers here, in general this is a pretty relaxed place, but still...)

The AR Pistol in my opinion seems like an extremely handy weapon for self-defense in just about any urban environment and perhaps some rural environments as well depending on what it is chambered in. The shorter OAL makes it much more maneuverable, not to mention easier to store/deploy than a full-length AR, the lack of a stock isn't necessarily all that much of a drawback depending on the chambering, and the shorter barrel won't necessarily subtract all that much velocity or energy from the bullet depending on the chambering.
    .300 AAC Blackout in particular seems like a fine choice for an AR Pistol since the heavier bullet and lower operational pressure of the cartridge ought to help mitigate any potential losses you may receive from the shorter barrel vs 5.56x45 NATO or 7.62x39.

Some folks may argue that AR Pistols are a poor choice and that you're better off with a full-size AR with an adjustable stock, particularly due to the paranoid belief that any day now the ATF is totally going to reclassify AR Pistols with braces attached SBRs, or otherwise exaggerations regarding how much of a difference 4"-8" of barrel makes.
    Last edited by Tuco_Ramírez; 03-27-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    OKNewshawk likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    AR Pistols are more practical for the Commonwealth person. The 5.56 mm can be much louder, though.

If you have a suppressor the 300 AAC/Blackout is the best choice.

They make Pistol braces and adapters that outclass rifles or SBRs. The only NFA item I do are suppressors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

Member #
    Liked
    489 times
    The Sig Braces have come very far over the last two years. They offer much more proper surface area than the thin KAK, should it somehow come in contact with one's shoulder , and they have adjustable ones now also. AR Pistol is a superb SD gun. The sky seems to be about the only limit these days when it comes to setting one up.

Name:  Mk 18 sd at Office.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  66.7 KB
    Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Member #
    Liked
    19304 times
    I don't have experience with AR pistols but IF I were going to buy one I would buy 300blk, like what you have listed, and put a suppressor and load my own sub-sonic ammo. I think it would make a great set up.
    stupimlico and OKNewshawk like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26544 times
    Recently I bought a 7.62x39 AR carbine from PSA that uses AK mags and have seriously considered getting a AR pistol in 7.62x39. For myself, iron sights don't work as well as red dots on my AR pistols. A combination red dot and laser is even better.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    I like the idea of the ar pistol 300 bulk seems to be the way to go. I just havent ju.ped on it because I really dont want to stock another caliber of ammo. I would rather use the same loaded mags for all of my rifles

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    11035 times
    I had great luck with the AR pistol I bought from Palmetto State Armory. 10.5 inch , 1X7 twist barrel. Had the non adjustable version of the SB tactical brace. In my opinion that size AR is really the best.

Here is my review:
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/o...ar-pistol.html
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links