Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rerun about point of aim and point of impact

Member #
    Liked
    8410 times

Rerun about point of aim and point of impact

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/mi...6-a.html#61985

For those having point of aim or point of impact bullet problems here's something that might be useful.

Plenty of links to go through.
    Going to update this with this.
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/fi...technique.html

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I noticed this a lot with the Taurus PT709 Slim. I would aim in one spot and the bullet would show up about 6" somewhere else. As I got closer to the target, the shots were closer to my aim, but it just seems (in my experience/opinion) that the smaller the gun, the more easy it is for the point of aim/point of impact to differ. I had a full size Ruger P95 and I would shoot that thing from around 30 yards and I could hit within an inch or two of the bulls-eye. When shooting the Taurus Slim (manufactured in 2013, brand new, cleaned and everything) from a similar distance, the hits on the target would be out of the target and to the side, sometimes near the bottom, right, left, etc. For me in situations like these it just takes practice and then you get more of a feeling for the gun and how to adjust to it, but still, with those two comparisons, what the heck?

Member #
    Liked
    5832 times
    Barrel length is never more of a factor in accuracy than when comparing how compact/sub-compacts perform when trying to get POI=POA. Even the tiniest adjustment of the hands with a 3.5"-4.0" can send a round askew pretty easily. Not as big of a difference when going to something from 4.5"-5.0"+ of barrel length with those same minor adjustments, but there is a change none the less.

The other thing that probably doesn't help is the heavy trigger pull on some of those compacts in comparison to a decked out 1911 with a 3 lbs. trigger pull. The extra force needed can throw rounds so far off that some people blame the gun and I end up scooping them up from the orphanage and they shoot just fine.
    celt and bamashooter like this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Southern Alabama - headed back home to northern Florida
    Liked
    171 times

I posted this somewhere else, but here it is...

I have to aim my PT-140 Pro with the rear sight aligned across the bottom of my front site, not in straight-8 and the like. I've tested it secured and aimed and I align my new PT-140 Pro like this:

Name:  Taurus sight alignment at 21 feet, wearing 2x reading glasses.jpg
Views: 10833
Size:  83.9 KB

Keep in mind that this is an 8" X 8" target at 21 feet. So only a slight deviation, and as Montkun said - just a little twitch - with a 3.25" barrel will send the round to the edge of this target. Aim small, miss small. I "Kentucky Winded" mine, as I've always tweaked the sights of every firearm I've owned. It shoots vertically like a champ from the factory, but the recommended POI sight alignment places my shots on the bottom of this target - again, it's only 8" X 8" so either way (the target is chest high) I'm hitting the "torso."

I just aim like above, focus on the front tritium dot, and squeeze: I'm in the black most of the time from 21 feet; from 15 feet, even more; from 10 feet, every shot.

Remember that the Heinie sights on your Taurus are not made by Heinie, but manufactured under license by Taurus, so the guidelines from the Taurus manual and 50,000 other people who insist on doing it are just that, guidelines. This works for me, is only a slight difference, and this isn't a target gun - this is for up close and personnel!!
    bfree, jxw7047 and JimDawgFan1955 like this.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."
    - Howard Zinn

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Subscribed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    "PT111 Mil G2"

Sent from my Samsung Note III - Using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletKingsnake View Post
    I have to aim my PT-140 Pro with the rear sight aligned across the bottom of my front site, not in straight-8 and the like. I've tested it secured and aimed and I align my new PT-140 Pro like this:

Name:  Taurus sight alignment at 21 feet, wearing 2x reading glasses.jpg
Views: 10833
Size:  83.9 KB

Keep in mind that this is an 8" X 8" target at 21 feet. So only a slight deviation, and as Montkun said - just a little twitch - with a 3.25" barrel will send the round to the edge of this target. Aim small, miss small. I "Kentucky Winded" mine, as I've always tweaked the sights of every firearm I've owned. It shoots vertically like a champ from the factory, but the recommended POI sight alignment places my shots on the bottom of this target - again, it's only 8" X 8" so either way (the target is chest high) I'm hitting the "torso."

I just aim like above, focus on the front tritium dot, and squeeze: I'm in the black most of the time from 21 feet; from 15 feet, even more; from 10 feet, every shot.

Remember that the Heinie sights on your Taurus are not made by Heinie, but manufactured under license by Taurus, so the guidelines from the Taurus manual and 50,000 other people who insist on doing it are just that, guidelines. This works for me, is only a slight difference, and this isn't a target gun - this is for up close and personnel!!
    That is just wrong. You should not have to make that much of an adjustment; if those are stock sights, I would send the gun back to Taurus to get it fixed.
    On my PT145, I have to "barely cover" the POI with the top of the front sight, and it pisses me off that I have to do that. I would be going ballistic (pun intended) to have to deal with the sight picture you illustrated.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That's how I line up my pt111 now, and my pt145 before it. Works fine for me, learned that way with the heinie sights 12 years ago.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    that sight pic works for me with my pt145 also, from about 20 ft.

Member #
    Liked
    2596 times
    With my pt145, I've had to learn to bisect the bullseye with the top of the front sight, which (thankfully) is still level with the rear. This fixed my low-shooting problem. Now I just have to work on my trigger pulling to remedy the low-left problem. I was fingering the trigger all the way to the 1st crease in my finger, rather than using the pad. Now my 3" group at 10 yds should be 3" group in the black for a change, lol.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I also have to align my 3 dots in a triangle pattern for it to be accurate, placing the front sights dot directly on the target where I want it. Once I aim like this my G2 is dead on. I've talked to Taurus about this and during the last time my gun was in for warranty repairs I complained to Taurus about this so they "adjusted" the sights and did a 6 shot bench rested test. Supposedly it shot a 1.5" grouping at 7 yards from what I gathered from the target they sent back with the firearm. Not sure if these were bore sighted shots but if I shoot as per my Taurus manual of aligning the 3 dots in a row and aiming the front sight below the target it's about 6 inches too low at just 20 feet. Which what seems to be the normal when using the sights in this matter from what I've heard from other G2 owners. Hopefully the new rear sight off another Taurus model will help otherwise I think a low profile front sight would work best and be my next step. I forgot what model this new rear sight is off of but I'll find out and let you guys know so if it does work you guys can try it.

After my first range time with my G2 I was trying to figure out why it shot so low even with the rear sight fully adjusted and if you look at the firearm the barrel actually isn't totally level with the slide. A adjustable sight should never have to be fully adjusted when sighted in, there should still be some adjustability left in it. It looks like the barrel points downward which would naturally cause it to shoot low. I believe this is a design flaw to some of the G2's because I know for some people it's is dead on and others like mine aren't. Once I get my replacement barrel and she's back together I'll try to figure out a way to level the gun then find a level to place inside the barrel to see if what I think is true. Worth a try because I can give this information to Taurus so others can get theirs fix correctly along with my own.
    Last edited by spooln30; 12-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links