For PT111 owners what weight and brand of ammo do you use for SD/HD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: For PT111 owners what weight and brand of ammo do you use for SD/HD

Member #
    Liked
    4010 times

For PT111 owners what weight and brand of ammo do you use for SD/HD

I am curious what you guys who have the PT111 (9mm) use for your concealed carry and/or home defense scenario. Bullet weight and brand. Also any particular brand or weight you especially avoid?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32571 times
    I always kept 147gr. JHP, by Winchester in my PT111. I favor the extra mass. I've since sold my PT111, but I still get to shoot it on ocassion! That pistol liked everything I fed it, with varying weights, including reloads.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    1746 times
    I own a PT140, so can't recommend a round specifically for the PT111, but I can tell you what I prefer to use in my Kel-Tec PF-9, as well as in my other handguns: Federal Hydra-Shok JHPs.

Federal Premium - Handgun Details.

It's a great SD round with excellent performance and a good track record on the street. If it works well in your PT111 it's a keeper. BTW, my wife loves the ones we use in her S&W j-frame.......
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1180 times
    My 24/7 C 9mm is basically the same as the PT111 except the DS and the accessory rail. I used WWB and Federal FMJ 124gr from Walmart for target shooting because they're the cheapest ammo I could find locally. For self/home defense, I used Fiocchi XTP JHP 124gr.

Member #
    Liked
    2391 times
    I have always used Speer Gold Dot 124 +p as my carry ammo. (+p only because thats the way it comes)
    I have had my 111 since Feb 09. I have fired just about everything in it. I have many hundreds of rounds through- I have had only 1 firing issue and that was a slow fire in a reload (and that was an ammo malfunction).
    I shoot Federal and Remington 115 fmj's mostly-what ever Walmart has. I have shot cheap reloads and cheap foreign ammo like Tula.
    Last edited by brojohn; 06-30-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    The PT 111 Pro will shoot any brand of 9mm Luger ammunition, all sorts of factory FMJs and even polymer coated LRN reloads (although I have shied away from these since due to the inconvenience of having to clean out all the lead fouling from the barrel after several hundred rounds).

The SD carry rounds I use (tested and proven to work through the pistol at the range):
    Primary carry loads
    Hornady TAP-FPD 147 grain XTP
    Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain FTX
    Remington Golden Saber 147 grain
    Remington Golden Saber 124 grain

Secondary choices
    Hornady Custom 124 grain XTP

I hear very good things about Federal's HST, Speer Gold Dots, as well as Hornady's new Critical Duty line. I haven't found any to test fire and make a decision on using them, though.

Member #
    Liked
    4010 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DBMMD View Post
    The PT 111 Pro will shoot any brand of 9mm Luger ammunition, all sorts of factory FMJs and even polymer coated LRN reloads (although I have shied away from these since due to the inconvenience of having to clean out all the lead fouling from the barrel after several hundred rounds).

The SD carry rounds I use (tested and proven to work through the pistol at the range):
    Primary carry loads
    Hornady TAP-FPD 147 grain XTP
    Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain FTX
    Remington Golden Saber 147 grain
    Remington Golden Saber 124 grain

Secondary choices
    Hornady Custom 124 grain XTP

I hear very good things about Federal's HST, Speer Gold Dots, as well as Hornady's new Critical Duty line. I haven't found any to test fire and make a decision on using them, though.
    I'm with you -I am interested in checking out both Federal HST and the Gold Dots. Next time I go shooting I will be comparing the 115's, 124's and if I can find them 147's. Most of my experience, back in the day, was with 115's.

Member #
    Liked
    4010 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brojohn View Post
    I have always used Speer Gold Dot 124 +p as my carry ammo. (+p only because thats the way it comes)
    I have had my 111 since Feb 09. I have fired just about everything in it. I have many hundreds of rounds through- I have had only 1 firing issue and that was a slow fire in a reload.
    I shoot Federal and Remington 115 fmj's mostly-what ever Walmart has. I have shot cheap reloads and cheap foreign ammo like Tula.
    Brojohn. Walmart just opened up near me...I will check them out.

Member #
    Liked
    4010 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus10 View Post
    My 24/7 C 9mm is basically the same as the PT111 except the DS and the accessory rail. I used WWB and Federal FMJ 124gr from Walmart for target shooting because they're the cheapest ammo I could find locally. For self/home defense, I used Fiocchi XTP JHP 124gr.
    Is it true, after you use Fiocchi's you have to go out and get a Pizza?

I used and liked Fiocchi ammo in 40 caliber (I believe I used 135 gr but memory may be going on me)...seemed very fast and reliable. Right now trying to checkout the role my PT111 will play. I've been thinking about using it as my carry weapon. I need to practice more with it and see if I am confident to use it in that role.

Member #
    Liked
    2391 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aphdmansoc View Post
    Brojohn. Walmart just opened up near me...I will check them out.
    I got some Federal 115 fmj in the 100 round box there last week for 19.79 I think. 2 boxes was $43.53 after tax.

They also carry Winchester PDX1 for about $18/ 20 round box. I've never shot it, but that ammo has good reviews.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links