Taurus Firearm Forum banner

NEWpt145/first time gun owner looking for good suggestions from cleaning/carrying,etc

4K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  achennau 
#1 · (Edited)
Went to purchase the PT 145 today (my first gun) and after an hour of waiting, even with a purchase permit, I got the "delay" Bummed cause I wanted to clean it and hit the range tomorrow, The reason I chose the PT145 as my first gun is because of the stopping power for home protection, the mag size for range, and winter/ first time carry till I figure out what works best for me. Well, after I realized how heavy the .45 ammo was, and with a 11 rounds in the gun(added overall gun weight) , I was going to go with my original gun I was looking at The PT 740, because, the next step is to get my ccw, and I wanted my first purchase to serve many purposes, I don't want something heavy or bulky,( I dont plan on changing the way I dress to carry and if my gun prints or shows a little, Im not to concerned cause, first most people wont notice, but second its not illegal to open carry here, so if during cc it shows and I dont notice but its secure I dont care) Well they dont stock the PT 740 and couldn't order one, if even available, till tommorrow, so I went ahead with the pt145, I like the looks, the sights, the rail,the trigger, though i kind of wish it had the security feature on it like the slim series and It just seems like a great gun maybe just not a carry gun for me cause of the weight, so that leads me to my questions, or any tips or advice.

First is, like i said, I didn't realize how heavy .45 ammo is and with a full mag, is it uncomfortable to carry (I'm not a hardcore .45 guy, I'm not going to change the way I dress to carry, and will be buying probably a tcp 738 for summer, possibly the pt740 for edc in the future) I have looked at alot of holsters for this gun also looked at the pic thread for the mil pro. I spend alot of time in my car and it has bucket seats, I read alot about the alessi hideout holster(lil info available) and think it may be a good one to get,also the sparks holsters, I dont think I want a iwb holster that covers most of my side like some of the crossbreed and other leather ones do. I like some of the high ride owb holsters but i find few with cants. Im sure Ill have to get it and figure what angle I like it and go from there.

Any cleaning kits/rifle bag/safe/storage suggestions??? No kids in the house till July when we have our boy so I think Ill just keep it loaded in the night stand for now. Good ways to clean this gun? Im sure Ill be getting the 738 or the 740 soon for summer edc.( Just the start to a holster,gun, ammo option for how i feel for that day LOL) I also like the beretta nano for its size LOL but thats a differ thread. Thanks and sorry for my explanations. I just wanted to save from explaining myself in later posts. A

See less See more
#2 ·
You picked a great carry piece. I normally carry mine in an IWB holster, but sometimes I open carry, so for that I have a blackhawk OWB holster. The 145 is really easy to conceal, especially inside the wasteband. There are a lot of good holsters and belts to choose from on the market. Good luck!!

#3 ·
I carry a PT 111, and choose it for many of the same reason you choose a 145. After visiting this sight I got a Theis holster (a site sponsor), and find it to be comfortable. As far as cleaning I like to use Ballistol for cleaning, and protecting the gun, with a cheapo Winchester cleaning kit, and patches from Walmart. I also like to use Break Free Powder Blast down the firing pin channel. What ever you do, don't get any cleaning product on the plastic parts of the frame. Instead us a clean dry brush, to get any crude off.
Here's a couple of videos that may help out. The first is for a Glock but as you will see most "plastic" guns are alike, (not the same) once you take them apart. The other is how to field strip a Mill Pro.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum! I have a PT 145 but cannot carry it as I live in Illinois. :mad: There is a lot of information in the "MilPro section" here about cleaning and tweaking. Lately a few folks have had issues with the slide removal. Follow the video closely to avoid jamming your slide on the frame. Another cool thing is that you can get 12 round 24/7 mags to use at the range (or carry if you decide to trade a bit more weight for a bit more security). Your pistol is, IMO, the best combination of firepower and "concealability".

#5 ·
I carry a Pt 145 because it is a 45. If you are going to carry for self defense, then you want something that will defend you.

I spoke with a guy two weeks ago that shot a burglar that was coming towards him. Shot him twice with a 45. One of the shots split his pelvis. The man is still alive and now walks with two canes. He was high on meth and crawled away on his elbows.

You want something that can stop the advancement of the attacker.

#7 ·
My ecd is the PT 145.Down here we don't have open carry so I chose a tagua holster OWB.I carry every day as I have a courier service and some places I travel are not the nicest.Did not really change my dressing style except for going up 1 size on shirts.I like how the 145 handles and like the 10+1 cap.I reccomend to all my friends to try the PT 145.They all like the feel and the safety on knowing its a 45 ACP.Enjoy your new pistol.

#9 ·
Jesus, But that's the name of the game if you are going to Burglarize someone. I have known a few people that fell into meth, My older brother included. I Joined the navy and just saw him for the first time in 5 yrs. He is not there mentally anymore. They are so high that they don't think like normal people and will steal whatever they can to support their habit. Sad for that guy but who knows what a crackhead will do to you! I am glad I chose the .45 for the house, it was that or a shot gun with bird shots for the house. Bird shots so it doesn't go through the wall and hit Innocent bystanders ( told that by a retired task force guy ) I live in the city so my neighbors are close. I was thinking about getting a light attachment for it so when or if I need the gun, I will have the light as an advantage. Any thoughts on that?

#11 ·
Greetings my friend from the great state of Michigan, and welcome to the forum.

My edc is a PT 145. I bought it in November last year and I love it. I have a Galco IWB and a Kholster. I have to keep the firearm in my glove compartment, because of where I work. I wear the Kholster on the weekends. I find the Galco very practical for me personally, but the Kholster is more sturdy and more comfortable.

Thank you for your service to our country.

#12 ·
Congratulations on your new firearm.

#16 ·
I have a S&W BG380 that I bought for summertime carry and I still carry my PT140 95% of the time. Get a double layer leather gun belt and it will make all the difference, they don't sag!

#17 · (Edited)
I tote a PT-145 and found that if you use the 165 grain Federal ammo the weapon weighs in the same as the PT-745 loaded with the 230 grain ammo, ( it is noticeably lighter.) I hate the Fobus holster, it doesn't hold your pistol in close enough to your body and prints really bad, plus I had my pistol pop out of the Fobus once so I never use it any more. DeSantis #085BAN2Z0 is for a Springfield XD45 and fits the PT's perfectly, thumb break FBI cant and can be had in a lefty version or www.kirkpatrickleather.com/ has similar products that I like a lot.
Handgun holster Gun accessory

Brand Logo Graphics

#18 ·
I definitely think you made a good choice!

I've owned two Millennium Pros (PT138 and a PT111), and they have been rock-solid dependable.

A good friend of mine who lives out of state is going to sell me his PT145 MilPro. It will have to go from his FFL dealer to mine, so it will take a few days before I receive it; but I am really stoked at the prospect of owning this fine pistol.

My main EDC pistol is the 6 plus 1 Taurus PT740 Slim. I love it because of it's dependability, accuracy, and it's slim and lightweight configuration.

Reactions: ozzy
#19 ·
Plus one on the larger shirt size. I have a Galco leather iwb and hardly notice my 24/7 G2. It also works well with the millpro.

Reactions: ozzy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.